The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 2, 2005, 10:43 PM   #26
Joint/Strike

Well, I would have to say that I am a bit evnious...

...Great find...Great gun.
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own dwelling, his goods are safe." -[B]Luke 11:21
Old February 2, 2005, 11:08 PM   #27
jetdriver

BDD said:

"Recently, I went shooting with a buddy after a 2 year idle time. He is jetdriver on this forum and he's spoken of it. He mentions that he "outshot" me with his Taurus. He did at close range, but I was juuuust warming up.

At the end of the evening, we put on an 8 inch shoot-n-see target in the center of mass. We moved the target back to 78 feet. I fired 5 rounds. One was in the 7 ring, one in the 9, and three in the 10 touching each other and the x ring."

Dude!?! You forgot to mention that I was shooting one-handed (with my weak hand), behind the back using a mirror, with a patch over my dominant eye!

Sheesh! How about the details bro!
Old February 3, 2005, 07:39 AM   #28
Foxy

Thanks guys!

BDD, I think that a suppressor will be my first accessory purchase for it. How do you like the Knight's Armament can?
Old February 4, 2005, 12:55 AM   #29
BDD

When you fire it outside, all you hear is the gun cycle, and then the impact of the target. It sounds like a branch breaking. The first time I fired it, I couldn't believe the suppression. At night, the only flash you see is the spark of the empty brass striking the ejector. There is greatly reduced recoil, so you reaquire the target immediately.

I've never had a jam, no matter how dirty the weapon has been. The suppressor is a little tough to clean, as it has a recoil spring in it. I don't strip it all the way down every time. There are a couple places you must have clean, though.

The KA suppressor ran $1150. Plus the $200 tax stamp. But I'm completely satisfied.

In fact, I've taken a few people to the range who have never fired a gun in their lives. I let them shoot the MK23 with suppressor on first. They aren't shocked by their first experience, especially to a round like the 45. Then I let them shoot it without, and then my Sig P239 9mm. They all have enjoyed themselves. Especially the wife of one of my friends who is scared to death of guns. She did well and really loosened up.

Yes, I have absolutely no complaints about the MK 23 and the KA suppressor.
Old February 9, 2005, 08:10 PM   #30
Foxy

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I posted some misinformation. It appears that H&K is now making the USP series and the Mark 23 series in black, grey, desert, and olive drab colors for 2005.
http://www.hecklerkoch-usa.com/index...A0000&SITEID=A
Old February 9, 2005, 08:21 PM   #31
FirstFreedom

Out-freaking-standing! Congrats. Even the Jolly Green Giant needs a sidearm, eh?
Old February 9, 2005, 08:24 PM   #32
WillBrayjr

The only complaint I have about the MK23 Socom is the price! I would think about getting one if H&K would bring the price down to where it should be, around $850.00!

As for suppressors, get the KA. If I had a firearm that would except a suppressor I would get one in a heart beat.
Old February 9, 2005, 10:18 PM   #33
Bob Freddy

Quote:
I also think they are kind of a rich person gun, simply by the fact that they cost so much! However, I am far from a rich person. I'm a grad student; I had Hamburger Helper for dinner, and my 1911 is an Auto-Ordinance . The Mark23 is by far the most expensive and nicest firearm I own. But I thought that if I passed up a deal like this, I'd be regretting it.

I kind of look at the pistol like a Porsche. I know it's something expensive and therefore something out of my reach. So, I've never actually wanted it - I never said, "I'm saving up for a Mark 23!" What if you saw a Porsche for the same price as a Subaru? Even if you weren't thinking about a Porsche, you'd hop on that deal as fast as you could! The same thing happened with this pistol.

Just like with a Porsche vs a Subaru, you are paying for something intangible with the Mark 23. A $28k Subaru WRX STi can outrun a $54k Porsche Boxster, and a $1200 custom 1911 can outshoot a $2400 Mark 23, but there's more there than mere numbers can convey.
That is a great analogy.

BOB
Old February 12, 2005, 09:58 PM   #34
zulustyle

Wow,
You really got the mother of all deals !! I paid $850.00 for a used tactical and thought I did pretty good. I bought mine from a US Marshall who was selling it to have money to purchase a MP5. I also got 3 boxes of ranger law enforcment rounds, three mags, and a Belleni holster. I've taken it to the range a couple of times and am really peased with it. I just wish 45 ammo was'nt so expensive !!! Congrats any way and I hope you enjoy the piece.
Old October 31, 2011, 05:36 PM   #35
qwerty53

interesting...
I just got brand new. Shot few hundred rounds and already have wear on the serial number that is on the barrel. Your serial number is perfect?
Old October 31, 2011, 06:16 PM   #36
MidwestRookie

this post is 6 and a half years old smart guy..
Old October 31, 2011, 07:44 PM   #37
C0untZer0

Don't lock this thread!

The whole world should know the awesomeness of the HK Mark 23 !

Even if the thread started 6 years ago.
Old October 31, 2011, 10:05 PM   #38
reticle

It's a zombie thread!!!
Old October 31, 2011, 10:47 PM   #39
Fishbed77

Quote:
It's a zombie thread!!!
BRAAAAAINSSSSSS!

Still, if we are going to resurrect a thread, it may as well be one about the awesome Mark 23.

I wonder if Foxy still owns and is still shooting his Mark 23?
Old October 31, 2011, 11:26 PM   #40
osageid

Well we know he did not wear it out!!!
Glock 22,Glock 36
Old November 1, 2011, 08:40 PM   #41
reticle

I still own and shoot mine...

Old November 1, 2011, 10:12 PM   #42
Winchester_73

I sold mine, but I miss it at times

I had one just like the OPs and sold it this year.

I don't know if he's still around, or even alive, BUT the camo cases I am told are worth a lot of money alone esp with the gun. They were only supplied with the guns for the first years and were replaced by the black cases. Mine was also a first year gun. I sold mine this year for way more than $1284 and even though I don't regret the sale, I may never have a comparable gun in my collection since I love the older stuff.

Fast forward this thread to 2011, and it was announced earlier this year or perhaps last year that this model has been discontinued. It shot wonderful as others have said. Shooting it, you got the feeling that the gun was DESIGNED for mayhem, pure and simple, the kind of gun that you want if you can only have 1 pistol, or even 1 gun.

Here is mine, sold in April.

BTW, you're crazy if you think these are over rated. This gun was adopted by the SOCOM units for a reason, because its better than just about anything else.

Old November 1, 2011, 11:09 PM   #43
Paul K

It's certainly a gun that if you have to bet everything in, you go with the Mk23 and you don't look back.

What is so interesting to me, is that this gun is perhaps the only handgun designed from the outset to be an offensive weapon and not a defensive handgun. It's in it's own class. Rightfully so.
Old November 2, 2011, 12:58 AM   #44
Webleymkv

I'm not normally much into the whole "tactical" thing, but a Mark 23 outfitted with the Insight Technology LAM and Knight's Armament Suppressor is just all kinds of cool. I've lusted after just that setup ever since the first time I played Metal Gear Solid as a kid. Come on, who wouldn't want the Solid Snake gun?
Old November 2, 2011, 08:14 AM   #45
reticle

Old November 2, 2011, 03:09 PM   #46
PSP

Let's all agree to meet by reticle's fence in another five years.
Old November 2, 2011, 04:17 PM   #47
Rugerismisticness

The internet was around in 2005??? Jk

Nice MK23, I think they're very nice, but just out priced by some of the newer similar offerings ala FNP45. I can't say I've ever held the MK23, or even seen one, but I sure like some of the alternatives.
Old November 2, 2011, 04:52 PM   #48
AustinTX

I'd like to get a Mark 23 at some point. I have a bit of an aversion to the idea of dropping ~$2,000 on a polymer-framed pistol, but if any polymer pistol is worth it, it would have to be the Mark 23.
Old November 3, 2011, 08:17 AM   #49
Charlie98

Having a piece with a threaded barrel would make me want to get a can for it...
Old November 3, 2011, 08:51 AM   #50
reticle

They do that intentionally. I think they are in collusion with the silencer companies.