The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 22, 2002, 06:28 PM   #1
bandit007

870 Choate mag ext

I just got a choate mag extender, i can't get that last round in there, what do I do?

thanks
Old November 22, 2002, 07:57 PM   #2
hksigwalther

Which extension? (How many rounds does it add?)

I had a TacStar 10 round mag extension on my 1187. I was able to load 10 rounds into the mag. The mag tube, though, kept on walking out of its friction fit threaded collar. I replaced the TacStar with a Choate 10 round. Although it says '10 rounds' in the advertisement, it really isn't clear if it is 10 rounds in the mag or 9+1 (9 in the mag, 1 in the chamber). I was only able to load 9 rounds fully and only 2/3 or 1/2 of the 10th round. Here's, what I did to lengthen it a little bit to fit the 10th round.

The mag spring is held in place by a plastic plug at the front end of the mag. The plug was ~1/4". I replaced this with a washer of the proper diameter that would fit in the mag body but not throught tapered/crimped front end. The follower of the Chaote was also a bit thick. Instead of using this follower I just used the stock one that came with the gun. These two procedures were enough to barely allow me to seat the 10th round in the mag. To add slightly more space, I installed a Scattergun Tech sling mount that installs betwen the extended mag and the gun mag. Adds ~1/8". Now the 10th round fits without a prob.
Old November 23, 2002, 12:59 AM   #3
Dfariswheel

I suspect you're trying to put too many rounds in the tube.
The way these are sold is confusing. For instance, some people advertise "7 shot" extensions, and others advertise the same extension as "2 shot" extensions. One is stating the TOTAL number of rounds the GUN holds, and the other is stating the number of rounds ADDED to the TUBE.

The actual number of rounds the extension magazine will hold based on the actual barrel length is as follows:
A 18" barrel extension tube will hold a total of 6 rounds.
A 20" barrel extension tube will hold a total of 7 rounds.
A 26" barrel extension tube will hold a total of 9 rounds.

In each case, a round in the chamber adds one round, so the gun will hold 7, 8, or 10 total rounds.

The extensions have a slight amount of free movement of the follower when the magazine is fully loaded, but not enough to get another shell in.

Attempting to force another shell in will WAY overcompress the magazine spring, and can cause the spring to "tangle", jamming the magazine.