The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 22, 2013, 10:28 AM   #1
baddarryl

Buying used. Pros and Cons....

I know the pro and cons are pretty obvious, but I think I have quit buying used. Seems like most used ones I get have some small annoying issue or another. Anyone else starting to look at it this way for other than collectibles?
Old January 22, 2013, 10:42 AM   #2
FrosSsT

Out of everything I own I bought one used gun, an HK USP (it was very clean). I think what deters me from buying more used firearms is the thought of how the previous owner or owners have taken care of it (just like a car)
Old January 22, 2013, 07:17 PM   #3
Smokey Joe

Used firearms...

Bad Darryl--Over the years, I've bought more used than new firearms. Guns aren't that complicated a machine--You can check them out thoroughly for wear & tear before offering money for them.They aren't like a car where there could be hidden wear you can't see or check.

As for "small annoying issues," if it's really a SMALL issue, then what the heck, and if it's fixable, you can fix it, and if it really is more than a small issue, just don't buy that particular one.

And some new firearms come with "small annoying issues," too, and the same thing applies.

But, each to their own. If buying new is really what makes you happy, then go for it--Who am I to dictate taste to you?

--Smokey Joe
Old January 22, 2013, 09:32 PM   #4
berettaprofessor

I'd actually rather buy the ones I'm going to use a lot already used! Then I don't feel so bad when I drop them, scratch them, get a little carry-wear blemish, etc.
Old January 22, 2013, 09:33 PM   #5
Justice06RR

Are you kidding??

Buying used has been the only way to go for me recently.

I bought a used Glock19 Gen3 for $350 at a gun show in December. then I bought a used Draco AK for $700 at my local pawnshop 2 weeks ago.

I don't really know how you would always afford brand new guns unless you have a pot of gold...
Old January 22, 2013, 11:22 PM   #6
Crankgrinder

If you can get past it then for the money used is the way to go. If you buy a new gun and trade it in later you will get hosed down real bad. Its just like a car, once you take it out of the shop its lost a bunch of its value. You can get a used gun just as good for half the price many times.
Old January 22, 2013, 11:48 PM   #7
JWT

I have as many used gun purchases as new ones. Most of the used ones have come from the same local gun shop. I have never had a single problem with any of them. I'd just as soon buy a nice clean used one and have more money toward the next one.
Old January 23, 2013, 09:09 AM   #8
Rifleman1776

Buy what you want, new or used, buy with your eyes open. New guns often come with issues also. Check out the used ones before laying down the cash.
A good bore light is a valuable investment.
Old January 23, 2013, 09:11 AM   #9
FlyFish

By far, the vast majority of guns that I own were purchased used. Most of the guns I'm interested in owning are only available used.
Old January 23, 2013, 10:29 AM   #10
SPEMack618

I have a few new guns, but most of mine were purchased used.

And most of the guns I want I will buy used.

Because for better or worse, it is after 1964, Smith and Wesson decided to quit making the Heavy Duty, and Winchester doesn't sell self loading rifles any more.
Old January 23, 2013, 10:40 AM   #11
chiefr

If you collect milsurps, you have no choice but to buy used. I have never had a problem buying a used gun because I am familiar with most models and know how to inspect them.

Having said that, consider buying a gun on an auction site when all you have is pictures to look at. I would make sure the seller has an inspection and return option first. I realize many guns are sold as is, with seller feedback your only method of judgement.
Old January 23, 2013, 12:14 PM   #12
Hal

I used to enjoy searching out *previously owned - but - it was a passing phase.
Same with used.
LOL! Actually, come to think of it,,,,,it applies to new as well .
I can't recall the last gun I bought...

*Previously owned in my definition was/is used but as new or used but unfired.
Old January 23, 2013, 12:30 PM   #13
Willie Sutton

The vast majority of quality firearms are only sold used for one very good reason: They are no longer being produced.

You limit yourself to probably 1% of all firearms designs that have been made in the last 100 years if you limit yourself to new.

You, in fact, limit yourself to "one hundred and fifty versions of the same six things" (more or less) if you insist on new. How many polymer frame/steel slide trigger-cocking pistols can you be *really* be interested in? Go handle a Colt Python and a Smith & Wesson Model 25-2, and then a High Standard Victor and a S&W Model 41, and a pre-war Model 70 and a Winchester Model 52 and then come back and talk to us. Shoot a Remington Model 11 and a Winchester 97 if you like shotguns. If you find any of them new, let us know.

Willie

Old January 23, 2013, 09:37 PM   #14
baddarryl

Well now that I think about it I have 4 guns with issues. 2 were bought new, 2 were bought used. I guess that is what I get for straying from Ruger and Glock! Let the flaming begin! Lol!
Old January 25, 2013, 09:31 AM   #15
johnwilliamson062

I only buy used unless the gun is not available. I don't have to worry about wear marks as much and if I decide to resell I am not out any money.
I bought one gun on gunbroker that was in worse shape than described. The cost was so low return shipping was more than I lost out on condition though.

I would not buy a used Taurus unless I test fired it first. Too many people trying to dump Taurus that have already made a few trips back to the factory.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; January 25, 2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old January 25, 2013, 11:06 AM   #16
osbornk

Whether you bought them new or used, every gun you own is now used. Anything wrong with them?
Old January 25, 2013, 11:39 AM   #17
MLeake

I own a variety of "used" guns. The vast majority of those were bought used because they are no longer in production. I would not call them "collectibles" just yet, but they were guns that I wanted that could only be found on the used market.

Of the used guns I have purchased, I have only run into problems with two: a S&W Model 28 that was out of time, and a WWII issue Colt 1911 that had been butchered by a shade-tree gunsmith. (Bob Hunter had his hands full making that thing run at any semblance of normal. Seemed ok to me on first look, but the previous owner - or somebody before him - had taken some metal off the feed ramp...)

Moral of the story is, in my experience most used guns have been fine. The two that were not would have been caught, if I had used Jim March's Revolver Checkout on the Model 28, and if I had taken time to check out the Colt more thoroughly before firing it.

So, buy used, but know what to look for; where applicable, do not fill out the 4473 until you have checked the gun out.
Old January 25, 2013, 02:35 PM   #18
dlb435

I've bought a lot of used guns. Mostly because they were interesting in one way or an other. FN FAL, UZI, AK's, P03 Lugar, Heckler and Kock pistols, and many more. Some were complete wrecks and I rebuilt them. Others were like new. Only one blew up on me. (no damage to me or anyone else, the steel just gave up)
A lot of times I bought guns just to see how they worked and if they were any good. I've kept the ones I liked.
Worst gun on the list above: The P03 Lugar. Not very practical and always dangerous when loaded. OK to look at, just don't try to carry one.