The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 11, 2008, 08:33 PM   #26
Chris_B

Guys who are firearms enthusiasts should be a little more tolerant of other people who enjoy the same pastime. There's enough negative aspect shoved down people's throats about firearms as it is without doing it to each other

Do I dress like a GI when I shoot my M1? No. But if the range rules said I had to and that's where I had to shoot I'd be wearing pinks and greens

But see, just going to shoot my rifle for fun doesn't have that type of rules. CA shooting events have them

if you want to compete, you wear the uniform. Same as Football.

Am I wearing shoulder pads in the stands? No

If I'm on the field do I need shoulder pads to play? yes

Same thing. if you don;t care for it...don't participate. But it seems to me very foolish to belittle other firearm enthusiasts for not being "cool" or something. There's plenty of people who want to take away my right to own a firearm. We're all in the same boat. A little unity might be nice, or even expected. Don't like the uniform? Don't play. maybe it's being overlooked that if you ain't dressed for it, you ain't competing. I'm sure golfers don't wear cleats at home but I think they dress funny on the course...doesn't mean I'm making fun of what they wear to play, or that I imagine they are squares or something becasue they wear that golfing get-up
Old January 11, 2008, 08:40 PM   #27
Eghad

Dressing up depends on what class you want to shoot in. it doesnt have to cost a fortune if you hit ebay and some sales. The palce I shoot will let you get by with a hat some jeans and a shirt...if your just interested in the fun.

NRA Life Member
Old January 12, 2008, 12:04 AM   #28
CraigC

Quote:
how many cowboys actually dressed in $300 hats with $500 holsters?
All things considered, it's not quite as off as it seems. In 1870 money, that $300 and $500 is only $20 and $34. Since $20 was roughly a month's pay for your average cowpoke (and average cost for a Colt SAA), $300 doesn't seem like much to pay for a good hat nowadays. Unfortunately today you have to spend that much to get a good beaver felt hat made like they were in the late 1800's. I don't believe there were any cheap synthetic felt hats imported from China in that timeframe.

You can definitely get some really nice, custom made, authentic leather for A LOT less than $500.
Old January 14, 2008, 01:23 PM   #29
gus3836

Salvador: Sam Elliot played Virgil Earp Gus
Old February 2, 2008, 08:36 PM   #30
samco

cas dressing

Hi All.

I was born on the farm in Oklahoma and punched cattle and all the other stuff required.It is not 'cool' to dress like some do.I still wear my boots and hatand nobody says squat. Oh, bythe way I also shoot Black powder. I am with Jim Keenan.If you haven't walked the walk,don't talk the talk.

samco
Old February 2, 2008, 09:03 PM   #31
CraigC

Quote:
If you haven't walked the walk,don't talk the talk.
Now we swing to the other extreme. If you don't actually ride horses, raise cattle and work a ranch as your sole income, you're a poser.

I guess if you had your way there would be no cowboy action shooting because there would be very, very few people who actually qualified. As a direct result of your elitism, there would NOT be such a huge selection of replica firearms on today's market. Many of the tasty guns available now would have never been brought to market. Basically gone forever.

The Western is already a dying movie genre, it doesn't need any help from within to send it to its grave early.
Old February 2, 2008, 10:46 PM   #32
T. O'Heir

"...doesn't seem very realistic..." It's not meant to be realistic. It's meant to be fun. That's why you see holster rigs that were never seen in the 1880's. The holsters seen in movies and on TV are not historically accurate. Not everybody carried a gun. Nor did most cowboys(who weren't well liked by the towns people). Most of them didn't own a horse either.
"...may have to get a smaller one..." Cheaper to buy a leather hole punch.