The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 16, 2017, 03:49 AM   #1
Don Fischer

$1600 vrs $300 gun

My son has a Christian something or other AR rifle in 223. We went out plinking this weekend and got on a fairly small rock at 302 yds measured. Shot my $300 243 six times at it hitting every time. He shot that 223 six times and hit it 5 time's. Then we went to my 1903 Springfield with 2 3/4x Redfield on it and between the two of us hit it six time's! I don't need no $1600 firearm! :-) Nice to know I can still shoot with him. He told me he's starting to field old, he'll be 45 in Dec. Next March I'll be 72! Love it when we get out like that, don't get to see a lot of him!
Old October 16, 2017, 05:55 AM   #2
smee78

Sounds like a good time had by all. Its always fun to go out with my family and do some plinking, glad you could still show up the youngster.
Old October 16, 2017, 06:48 AM   #3
bobn

glad you went shooting with family. bet 1600 wouldn't make a new springfield nowadays though. bobn
Old October 16, 2017, 07:17 AM   #4
Mobuck

Far too many variables in this contest to make a firm statement. I'm not into high $$ guns anymore but there are many features that add lots of $$ to the cost including a fancy name and logo but don't improve performance.
Old October 16, 2017, 10:38 AM   #5
hdwhit

Sounds like you had a good time.

For scoped use, my under $300 Savage Axis has been very satisfying.

My father, age 93, has never used a scope since he didn't use optics in Burma, Korea or Vietnam, so he still shoots iron sights exclusively. That doesn't stop him from taking nuisance animals with a Mini-14 at up to about 70 yards, so none of us should consider ourselves "old".
Old October 16, 2017, 10:54 AM   #6
Nathan

Sounds like a Christianson Arms AR15??

Did you weigh both? Seems like that is the AR's strength as well as pretty good accuracy. Also, what optics were on the AR's?
Old October 16, 2017, 11:36 AM   #7
Archie

What is Important?

Good question not really addressed by the initial posting.

A $1600.00 rifle IS worth more than a $300.00 rifle IF one values the qualities represented by the 1600 bucks. (This is assuming both prices are in current dollar terms.)

For instance, a rifle built strictly for accuracy, costing more due to more care in building the rifle for accuracy will be more accurate - generally - than a 'cheap' rifle built for accuracy.

However, should one place value on wealth and status, then one spends one's money on really smooth and lustrous finish, expensive wood and a really sexy caliber.

I don't have much desire and no need to mount a light, a bayonet, lensatic compass, night vision device, hydrostatic thermiometer or such to any of my rifles. Nor does the ability to fire sixty rounds in one minute inspire my lust.

Other folks may find a 'need' for such things. I'm not their daddy or the Pope; I don't make decisions for others.

Some people just want a reliable rifle, requiring little maintenance that will kill a deer once a year. Usually the deer isn't more than one hundred yards away. In between deer hunts, the rifle will probably set in a closet or in the rafters of the garage. Probably a less expensive rifle will serve.

And don't confuse a rifle which cost "only" $125.00 - in 1960 - with a rifle costing $500.00 today. Feel free to work out the inflation yourself.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old October 16, 2017, 02:32 PM   #8
RIDE-RED 350r

I'd hand all of my firearms over to Hillary for a chance to go shooting with my Dad one more time. I'll be turning 40 in january, my Dad passed away last year at 61 years young. Glad to hear you had a good time shooting with your son, cherish it and never take it for granted
Old October 16, 2017, 06:08 PM   #9
Mike38

It doesn't always take a high dollar rifle to be accurate. 20+ years ago I bought a NEF Handi Rifle in .223 with heavy barrel. Slapped a $80 Walmart scope on it, zeroed it and lost interest. Total cost was less than $300. Finally, many years later I got it out and decided to work up a reload for it. In less than a year, I found a load that consistently gives me right around 0.6 inch groups at 100 yards, with the best 5 shot group being 0.44 inch.
Old October 16, 2017, 08:17 PM   #10
lefteye

Should be entitled 72 vs. 45 (or 71 vs 44). Mature father and son at range :a good experience regardless of the prices of the firearms. I'm 70 but my daughters aren't shooters. One son-in-law is a hunter, and his dad and uncle are serious rifle shooters and collectors. I wish my son-in-law's dad would move here and build a beautiful 300 yard range like he has at his home in TN.
Old October 17, 2017, 10:48 AM   #11
taylorce1

Sounds like a great time!

My Dad is 76, I'm 45, and the Daughter is 14. I didn't really feel like I was getting old until I shattered my leg at 43 years of age. I did notice I was slowing down, couldn't run as fast, or do as many push ups and sit ups as I did when I was 20 years old in the Army. However, I was beating a lot of 18-20 year olds in my Reserve unit when I was in my 40's and that was always a fun on APFT day.

Any day shooting with kids or parents is a great day. I know I enjoyed shooting with my Dad on the rare occasion he took me shooting. He didn't have much interest in hunting and shooting after his time in Viet Nam. The rifles we had growing up were just a couple of Winchester .22 LR he inherited, but it was always a blast when he took me out and would let me shoot a box of ammo with him.

I also enjoy shooting and hunting with my Daughter. However, I'm not sure she enjoys shooting with me, I can spend all day at the range and she's done in about 30 minutes. She does love hunting with me and will go all day long, as long as she's warm.
Old October 17, 2017, 03:24 PM   #12
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie View Post

And don't confuse a rifle which cost "only" $125.00 - in 1960 - with a rifle costing $500.00 today. Feel free to work out the inflation yourself.
Ah yes, that is right. But built in 1945 by Paul Jaeger! I have no idea what the original price would compare to today, $500. But I also know it was appraised in 1992 at somewhat over that! This thing is an heirloom! I got it in a will from a very very close friend, he had it built! The scope is a 2 3/4x Redfield I bought new about 1971!

https://imgur.com/uvx6yAL
Old October 17, 2017, 06:07 PM   #13
RIDE-RED 350r

^^^Beautiful 1903!^^^

I've had a soft spot for a tastefully done 1903 like that for some time.. Love to own one.