The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 23, 2018, 12:34 AM   #26
JERRYS.

I see some stores are following the Gander Mountain model....
Old July 23, 2018, 12:36 AM   #27
hdwhit

Quote:
mehavy wrote:
SO CABELAS... IF this is your new business model;...
To speak to Cabela's as if they were separate from Bass Pro's management is silly. Cabela's has been owned by Bass Pro for some years now so it is pointless to address Cabela's management as if they are separate from Bass Pro.

Wake up! This IS their new business model because it is the Bass Pro business model.
Old July 23, 2018, 12:43 AM   #28
hdwhit

Quote:
JERRYS wrote:
I see some stores are following the Gander Mountain model....
Please explain what you mean by that.
Old July 23, 2018, 05:26 AM   #29
mehavey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwit
Wake up! This IS their new business model because it is the Bass Pro business model.
As per original post, that was the point.
Old July 23, 2018, 12:47 PM   #30
chupps

I can understand the idea that they want to optimize their retail shelf space.

Looks like they are forcing some people to shop online. I'm assuming that you are able to find all of your reloading supplies on Cabela's website? If so order it there and they will send it to the retail store so you can pick it up.
Old July 23, 2018, 01:01 PM   #31
kmw1954

chupps, will repeat again, Cabela's will not ship powders or primers to store for pickup then also if I order online from Cabela's not only do I have to pay shipping and Hazmat fees but because they have a presence in our state I also get state sales tax added on.

Sorry but I also do not understand the Gander Mountain reference. Unless you are referring to they're no longer in business! Also Bass Pro Shops just purchased Cabela's and took control this spring. Not years ago.
Old July 23, 2018, 01:37 PM   #32
RC20

Quote:
To speak to Cabela's as if they were separate from Bass Pro's management is silly. Cabela's has been owned by Bass Pro for some years now so it is pointless to address Cabela's management as if they are separate from Bass Pro.
Closer to one year now
Old July 23, 2018, 02:09 PM   #33
CLYA

I disagree with a number of generalizations. Our two Cabela's are much the same, after the takeover. Just watch for sale prices, and compare to others, is the best advice.

Our Scheels is not a joke at all. Some of the best prices I've got for reloading equipment, ended up from Scheels. In fact, they're very competitive when it comes to the blue Dillon equipment, and usually well stocked. I also watch gun pricing there, and sometimes do quite well. Over the years, I've ended up with a good number of guns & archery equipment from Scheels. I always price compare when making decisions to pay less, or a little more.
Old July 23, 2018, 02:27 PM   #34
BBarn

Sales of ammo and reloading supplies are down, hence the reasonable availability of most products after years of shortages. This stuff occasionally goes through cycles over time.

If a brick and mortar store sells a large variety of product, they are going to stock what sells quickly. If it doesn't sell, it is booted off the shelf and replaced with something else.

If Cabela's can make more money, now, selling something other than reloading supplies, look for fewer primers and less powder on the store shelves. I haven't noticed big changes in my local Cabela's, but it wouldn't surprise me to see less reloading product now that sales have dropped from their record levels.
Old July 24, 2018, 09:13 PM   #35
blackwidowp61

As my buddy said when we went into Cabela's and looked around "this looks like a good place to open a sporting goods store". Could find better prices, selection and availability at lgs and bait shops. So sad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCrJleggrI
Old July 24, 2018, 09:46 PM   #36
TruthTellers

The last two Cabela's I've been to, granted this is going back to 2017, had a decent reloading section that was well stocked. I didn't buy anything because I can buy all of it online tax free as there's no Cabela's in the state I live.

I have no doubts that Bass Pro is going to be changing a lot of what Cabela's has become and I'm hesitant to embrace that change as I don't think it will give me, the customer, what I want.

Heck, if the black powder revolver "sale" prices now higher than they were prior to the buyout, then we're looking at Cabela's not being as good a place to buy stuff.

Which is fine, Natchez and Brownnell's probably need the money more.
Old July 25, 2018, 12:35 AM   #37
cptjack

new one opened in Orlando powder was 10..00. more than LGS
Old July 25, 2018, 01:08 AM   #38
kmw1954

new one opened in Orlando powder was 10..00. more than LGS

I find that hard to believe as even Bass Pro Shops isn't that far out of line with general pricing. And Bass Pro Shops is the most expensive place I've found to buy powder or primers.

That would be suggesting that Titegroup would be selling for around $31.00 per pound or HP-38 is selling for around $36.00 per pound.
Old July 25, 2018, 03:18 AM   #39
1stmar

From their website. Hp38 $24.99 lb, tite group $21.99 lb
Old July 25, 2018, 09:48 AM   #40
Old 454

Never shop at Bass Pro for reloading components... bass pro is way over priced and there primers are broken out of the 1000 piece box and sold individually in 100.. and did I say over priced.... there usually 2 to 5 dollars more ant bass pro for powder. .... never ever shop at bass pro....I hope there dont finagle the prices at Cabelas since they took them over
Old July 25, 2018, 10:52 AM   #41
CLYA

Quote:
Heck, if the black powder revolver "sale" prices now higher than they were prior to the buyout, then we're looking at Cabela's not being as good a place to buy stuff.

They are not higher. I bought two (possibly three, but lost track) when they were $50 off. We always need to compare prices. Cabela's price for the Uberti Walker has always been on the high side. More than Sportman's Warehouse, and quite a bit more than Midway, when they have it on sale. And then there was the recent sell off, of Walkers on the internet.

As to the $50 off on BP revolvers (Pietta), the Cabela's prices were beating all the competition. There may be a few prices, elsewhere, that were comparable. But it would take searching and at the right times.
Old July 25, 2018, 10:55 AM   #42
heyjoe

point of information- due to a recent supreme court decision everyone is going to be paying their local sales tax on every internet purchase regardless of whether there is a physical presence in your state.
Old July 25, 2018, 11:08 AM   #43
FITASC

Quote:
Which is fine, Natchez and Brownnell's probably need the money more.
Since Brownell's bought out Gamaliel, their prices have also gone up. It is getting harder and harder to find one store that can do it all, and do it all fairly inexpensively.
Old July 26, 2018, 08:44 AM   #44
rodfac

Our local Cabelas here in Louisville KY has had both powder and primers available on a regular basis, both at 10-15% less than the LGS (the few that sold reloading components). But for big ticket items like guns, they've always been close to MSRP. The local cop shop, Wolf Supply on Roosevelt Ave. has always been cheaper for the Sig's, Glocks and factory ammunition that I've purchased. He can order what you want and have it in less than a week and at a price that can't be beat. Bill's a good guy, a retired cop, and has earned the customer loyalty he enjoys.

Farther east, in Lexington, Budd's Gun Shop has by far a biggershelf inventory, but again, unless it's a sale of some kind, their prices are close to MSRP. The only time I've bought from them, was for a really nice S&W M19...the price was low for the condition and it went out the door with me.

For all of the above, ask for a military discount if you qualify, and dikker on the price...it'll help. Just hope that Cabelas in Louisville continues to offer reloading components 'cause they're pretty much the only game in town.

Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend what it stands for or get the hell out. Our Freedoms are not free, they've been paid for many times over by heros in uniform. Far better men than I, died that we could be FREE.

USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, An Loc, lll Corps, RVN, 69-70, Vietnam Vet '69-'73
Old July 26, 2018, 09:37 AM   #45
kmw1954

Rodfac, the store in Hoffman Estates Illinois is about 1 hour from me or 1/2hr from my brothers so many times he will stop in to pick up what I need or if it's on sale. Unfortunately this store has been completely out of stock on primers since March. I am now down to my last 800 large and small pistol primers so I need to locate a new supplier. The next closest store for me is about 1.5 to 1.75hrs away after that the next os over 2 hours. Now I do not mind the road trip to go it's just that now it will just be a bit more inconvenient and I'll have to plan my purchases a bit differently. Which also means buying more at one time.
Old July 26, 2018, 09:11 PM   #46
markr6754

Sad to have to join in on this thread. I haven’t visited my local Cabela’s in a couple of months...but their sale on ammo storage boxes had me stop in. It took me some time to find the severely reduced reloading section. Some have reported a reduction of half...not here in Centerville, OH...it is less than a third it’s previous size...with a significant reduction in SKUs. Nearly all of the tools are gone, although the end cap of powders now stocks nearly twice the variety. I picked up a bottle of CFE-Pistol for $25 (plus tax). I don’t need dies, but Hornady Titanium Nitride 3 die sets are all on sale for $38.96...I’m really tempted to switch out my non-Hornady sets. Bullets are few in quantity and in variety. This section is now part of a shelf, vs an entire row of bullets as before.
Primers, we all know the story...except they did have CCI 500 SPP in stock...yeah, 5 boxes of 100 for $3.99 each. They also had small and large Magnum in 1000 piece boxes for $32.99. But the primer rack was Swiss cheese...more holes than cheese.
The check out clerk implied they were merely reorganizing the store...then the gaps in stock will be filled...but I’m skeptical. So glad I overspent on the bullets.com clearance.
Old July 27, 2018, 09:46 AM   #47
marchboom

Most people don't want to travel to different stores to get their components. Gas costs money, not to mention your time. Having powder but no primers just doesn't work. Either BPS wants to get out of the reloading supplies business or they have no idea how to run a business. I'm leaning to the former.

For me, I'll probably just make a list of primers and powders and wait for a sale with online companies where they don't charge a hazmat fee...and sometimes free shipping.

And then call Cabelas and tell then why I won't be shopping with them.
Old July 27, 2018, 10:43 AM   #48
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

The person who answers the phone will not care.
Old July 27, 2018, 11:35 AM   #49
blackwidowp61

Like Glenn said, what do they care? They're already phasing out/reducing their reloading supplies, so your call is wasted.

Now if you said that you were not going to shop at their store for anything because of their policy on reloading supplies/equipment, that might get their attention, but don't count on it. It takes a whole lot of calls of this nature to cause any concern on their part. Bottom line is, a drop in revenue is the only thing that gets a business to sit up and take notice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCrJleggrI
Old July 27, 2018, 02:32 PM   #50
Scorch

Cabela's lost me as a customer when they discontinued their "World Class Warranty" and started selling the same crap as everybody else only 10% higher priced. Cabela's stores never had much in the way of reloading supplies anyway, there is not enough volume or profit margin in those things to carry a large stock of them. The internet is the answer, and places like Powder Valley, Southern Shooters Supply and Grafs carry about everything I could hope for.
Taylor Machine