The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 1, 2018, 03:01 PM   #26
TXAZ

In talking to a couple of our vendors at work, the not-to-distant future will entail 3D printed ‘self repair’ systems. When a part breaks in a product, that product will determine if the part can be printed locally. If so your product is back up and running faster than a FedEx delivery.

Bottom line: 3D printing is going to be ubiquitous in a decade. Unless legislation catches up “anything” including guns will be producible locally
Old August 1, 2018, 03:03 PM   #27
turkeestalker

What doesn't make much sense in my mind is that it is really not (yet) a viable option for those intent on committing a crime with a firearm, not to mention that it is grossly cost prohibitive.
Sort of makes it a non-issue.

My understanding is that the actual legal issue didn't have anything to do with the 2nd amendment, but the 1st.

So it's all the current administration's fault that the court's upheld the 1st amendment.
That makes sense, right?
Old August 1, 2018, 05:01 PM   #28
MTT TL

I know of no crime that has ever been committed with a 3D printed gun. Certainly in the future such a thing will happen, it just hasn't been reported as happening yet.
Old August 2, 2018, 01:29 AM   #29
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I know of no crime that has ever been committed with a 3D printed gun. Certainly in the future such a thing will happen,
It may already have happened. If someone makes, then later sells a 3d printed gun, without a serial number on it (and the maker's name and address), then a crime has been committed.

it doesn't HAVE to be a robbery or a murder to be a crime...
Old August 2, 2018, 03:28 PM   #30
L2R

This is almost funny to me. It seems to be the answer to the unconstitutional laws that are being made just so time and money is spent to change them.

Maybe if they keep this kind of low quality crap in the news cycle, it will buy some time and keep them busy for a while.

When this dies down, can someone show them a video of 500 sparklers packed together and see what happens when it goes off?

Evil cannot be reduced thru Legislation!
Old August 2, 2018, 04:43 PM   #31
kenny53

If I remember ancient history the antis were saying a lot of the same thing when Glocks first hit the market. They were screaming how the guns would be undetectable. You have to figure Liberals work off emotions not facts. Given time this will go away, all we have to do is wait for the president tweet something.
Old August 2, 2018, 11:10 PM   #32
44 AMP
Staff

The future is a moving target, but now, I'm wondering if you have to get permission from Star Fleet in order to use the replicator to make a phaser????

Or maybe only if you sell the phaser you replicated???

on the other hand, they don't use money, so why would you sell anything, even if you could??

ok, Starfleet permission before bartering said phaser???

or do they just have the replicators set so they can't make phasers? (or other weapons???)

Captain! we've been boarded!! they already taken the armory, what do we fight back with???"

"Tea, Earl Grey, .. hot..."

You can hand whittle an AR lower out of wood, and it will work (I suggest a hard wood) so, why worry about plastic???
Old August 3, 2018, 11:34 AM   #33
DaleA

Quote:
You can hand whittle an AR lower out of wood, and it will work (I suggest a hard wood) so, why worry about plastic???
I was going to make a joke about "Nobody NEEDS 'hard wood'!" but then the double entendre hit me and I decided not to.

And aren't you all glad I did.
Old August 4, 2018, 01:32 AM   #34
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
And aren't you all glad I did
Probably for the best.