The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 15, 2018, 06:49 PM   #1
Kvon2

CZ 527 Owners...Lend Me Your Ears

Hi all,

I've had a cz527 in 7.62x39 for the past few years. Its an excellent rifle but as some of its fans may know, the stock is subject to cracking behind the action. I recently have had that problem.

I contacted CZ and they're willing to replace the stock but I'm thinking this may be a good time to upgrade to a Boyds stock.

Here's my question;

On the boyds website they ask you to differentiate between the cz527 American or varmint rifle. I don't know the difference, I thought it was just the 527 carbine.

Any idea on what the differences are?

Thanks!
Old July 15, 2018, 07:33 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

Yeah, visit CZ USA and read about it. It explains all the differences and shows all the models. I've never heard about any cracking problem until I read your post.
Old July 15, 2018, 07:35 PM   #3
precision_shooter

The 7.62x39 doesnt come in the Varmint configuration to my knowledge. And to that point, varmint is just a different/heavier barrel with no sights.
Love my 7.62x39 527 carbine and hope I don’t have the cracking issue.

A quick look on the CZ website confirms my earlier comments.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Last edited by precision_shooter; July 15, 2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old July 16, 2018, 05:46 AM   #4
fourbore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSecondBest View Post
Yeah, visit CZ USA and read about it. It explains all the differences and shows all the models. I've never heard about any cracking problem until I read your post.
No this is NOT a known problem. And if it were, the solution would be some bedding at the appropriate location. And failing that or regarless of that the proper torque on assembly would also help.

Boyd's is pretty far from an upgrade in my book. The American would be the correct (or best fit) stock for a carbine, but; it might need a slight bit of fitting around the rear sight.

The OP might look for a kevlar stock if he wants an actual upgrade.
Old July 16, 2018, 07:23 AM   #5
taylorce1

Why pay for a Boyd's stock when CZ is willing to replace the stock? Where is your crack at in your stock, the tang? Often times if the tang isn't properly relieved a Mauser action will crack the stock in the tang area.
Old July 16, 2018, 02:20 PM   #6
jackstrawIII

I wouldn't go with Boyds on this one. The draw of the CZ 527 is it's light weight and classic looks. Laminate ruins both of those.
Old July 16, 2018, 05:25 PM   #7
Kvon2

I may just go with the replacement stock but am exploring options. Boyds makes a very good looking stock which is why I'm drawn to it, I'm not concerned about weight as it never leaves the bench.

Fourbore, I have to disagree, a quick Google will show it is a known problem.
Old July 16, 2018, 05:38 PM   #8
LilHog

I've heard of several CZ 527 carbine stocks cracking, and CZ has replaced them without issue. I know it's a pain to send the rifle back but let them fix it right. There are several threads about the problem if you do a google search, even on youtube. I believe they adjust or reposition the recoil lug in the replacement stock. My 527 carbine has about 250 rounds through it, no cracks yet and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old July 16, 2018, 08:31 PM   #9
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilHog
There are several threads about the problem if you do a google search, even on youtube. I believe they adjust or reposition the recoil lug in the replacement stock. My 527 carbine has about 250 rounds through it, no cracks yet and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
I found several posts online and YouTube about the stock cracking, and seems the majority are tangs cracking. Seems CZ is taking care of the problem for the most part. You really can't adjust or reposition the recoil lug on a CZ, you can relieve the wood around the tang which will prevent the cracking of the stock for most of the instances. I did find one stock that cracked from the magazine well through the forearm.
Old July 18, 2018, 09:43 PM   #10
Colorado Redneck

Some people like laminate stocks. Some like thumbhole stocks. Boyds makes a nicely finished stock, and the two I have experience with fit onto the rifle very nicely. So do what turns your crank. Personally, kevlar or composite of any type is unattractive.
Old July 19, 2018, 05:18 AM   #11
armoredman

I swapped my 7.62x39mm 527M carbine to a custom stock years ago - original is still around SOMEWHERE in the closet, but i never cracked. I had heard this on some Carbine models. Let CZ take care of it - they have excellent customer service. I love my little Carbine - with cast bullet loads I have fun all day long.
Old July 20, 2018, 01:47 AM   #12
armednfree

I looks to me that the crack originates at the rear screw hole. I bet if you epoxy in a pillar right off the bat it wouldn't crack. Wood cracks along the grain and if you bind that grain at origin point it should not crack.
Old July 22, 2018, 10:32 AM   #13
M4BGRINGO

I have two of them, one is 7.62x39, the other is .223. I use them with my niece as plinkers from time to time. Cool little guns, don't have a lot of rounds through either. Will keep an eye on them for cracks.
Old July 22, 2018, 07:02 PM   #14
armednfree

It cracks because recoil is being disbursed into the stock at that point. That's purely a bedding issue.

Steel bed the action so the lug has a solid abutment. Pillar the action screws so that point of the stock is re-enforced and the apex of a crack can't form.

According to my rough calculations that barreled action is delivering 20 foot pounds of energy to the stock Fine if it is where the stock is designed to take it, but not at the rear tang.

Last edited by armednfree; July 22, 2018 at 07:32 PM.