The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 27, 2016, 02:02 PM   #1
campingnights

Kirst gated conversion

Presently I have a 1858 Pietta Sheriff repro, with a Howell conversion cylinder in 45 long colt. I love the balance and handling of this gun, but pulling the cylinder out for reloading is a pain. Its a 50 50 proposition on if it slips in easily, or if you have to manipulate the hammer from half cock to get it in. It aint as easy as the various videos show and I wouldnt be comfortable passing it on to my kids and depending on their dexterity maintaining safely reloading the piece (do we ever REALLY get to the point where we trust our middle age kids implicitly). So my question is this:
have any of you installed the Kirst gated conversion cylinder in a Pietta 1858? If so, was it a drop in conversion, or were there fit and timing issues. I am sure me and my Dremel can handle the frame cut for loading the cartriges, and a bit of cold bluing probably would rustproof the cut, just never learned how to adjust revolver timing if its needed. I just dont know why, but I really favor this gun.

My wife told me that I can't have too many guns, I agreed and told her I can never have too many guns...and then the trouble began
Old March 27, 2016, 04:54 PM   #2
Hawg

If you're having problems installing the cylinder from half cock try just pulling the hammer back far enough for it to clear. The cylinder will fall in or out from either side.
Old March 27, 2016, 05:04 PM   #3
Bishop Creek

I don't have a gated model Kirst, mine is the non gated version, but it dropped into my 1858 Remington with no fitment issues. If you do have problems, usually a little minor filing is all that is needed on the "feet" of the cylinder ring for a perfect fit. I'm sure someone with a gated cylinder will chime in soon.

I also have a Howell cylinder for one of my other '58s and like Hawg said, just pull the hammer back a little more for it to drop right in.
Old March 27, 2016, 07:26 PM   #4
campingnights

Ya, thats what I do, but I would hate to have one of my boys screw up and let a hammer slip, maybe hit a pin in a partially replaced cylinder. The results could be unfortunate. Ya, I'm probably unreasonably paranoid, that's why I'm the one to load the 1858 for them. When they inherit the gun, I would rest easier with a loading gate on it and hope they would come to treasure the gun as much as I do. Odd isn't it, I own a Beretta compact and several 38's, but my favorite is still a repro Pietta 1858 LoL

Thanks Guys

My wife told me that I can't have too many guns, I agreed and told her I can never have too many guns...and then the trouble began
Old March 28, 2016, 04:02 AM   #5
peggysue

Here are a couple Kirst Konversions I made...I had to dremel on them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KirstKonv12.jpg (45.8 KB, 68 views)
Old March 28, 2016, 04:35 AM   #6
drobs

I have the non-gated Kirst conversion cylinder for Pietta NMA. Timing is fine but it doesn't just slip in and out easily. Let my buddy try it and when my back was turned he scratched the cylinder trying to get it out.

I'd be tempted to get gated ring but IIRC they are spendy. Not sure I want to cut the frame either.
Old March 28, 2016, 09:31 AM   #7
campingnights

peggysue, was it just cutting the frame or did you have other problems fitting the conversion. btw, a fine looking brace of pistols.

Old March 28, 2016, 11:25 AM   #8
peggysue

I had zero fitting cylinder issues on them. Simple drop in. I had to take it all apart first then dremel the opening for the gate. I refinished with blue cream. Not inexpensive however it is fun and rewarding. They are a not registered with ATF. IfIi were to sell i would have to sell separately. The Kirst Kartridge site has detail or had it?

Last edited by peggysue; March 28, 2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old March 28, 2016, 05:02 PM   #9
campingnights

Peggysue: Was it G96 Bluing Cream you used?

Old March 28, 2016, 05:08 PM   #10
campingnights

Think I'm going try the Kirst conversion, what could happen? (famous last words). Guess I got a Howell conversion cylinder to peddle for the Pietta 1858 Remington reproduction pistol. Only $150 and this includes USPS Priority shipping. I will accept a personal check, but won't ship until the check clears the bank. Located in Saginaw, Michigan 989.385.1910 [email protected]

Last edited by campingnights; March 29, 2016 at 12:26 AM.
Old March 28, 2016, 05:45 PM   #11
peggysue

Close up of my conversions gates.
Tube Birchwood Casey blue cream.

sorry I cant down load pic off computer.
Old March 28, 2016, 07:10 PM   #12
campingnights

Thanks, it looks like the bluing and dremeling went well. Well, the deed is done. A Kirst conversion is on its way now.. *keeps mumbling to self- This should be fun, you WILL have fun doing this*

Old March 29, 2016, 09:11 PM   #13
Mickey_D

I have one of the Uberti 1858 New Model 5.5" factory "conversions" and I have been very happy with it. Blueing is beautiful, timing is good, just a nice gun. Only not great thing I could say is the grip fit is a tiny bit off, but when get around to stripping off the Uberti red stain I will fix it. Before buying it I had actually thought about doing a gated conversion on a black powder model, but after looking at a couple of conversions, this was a no brainer. You might think about selling your BP model and buying a factory job - I think you will come out about the same dollar wise and end up with a nicer gun.
Old March 29, 2016, 10:04 PM   #14
45 Dragoon

Not necessarily true, plus, no record of a firearm.
I like my " fitted" conversions better than the "factory" versions I've worked on (shhh!!!) They are held to tighter tolerances than the factory allows.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks
Old March 30, 2016, 09:48 AM   #15
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

If the 1858 Remington is timed properly, it should be no problem popping the cylinder in or out without needing the gated version. I have two Remmies that have the earlier six shot Taylors 45 Colt conversion cylinder in them.

Place the hammer at half cock, so the bolt is completely withdrawn into the cylinder. Then roll the cylinder (can't remember which way right now) while removing it or inserting it. Rolled the correct direction, the ratchet teeth at the rear of the cylinder will push the hand into the frame, making removal and insertion easy. If you don't roll the cylinder, it can hang up on the hand.
Old March 30, 2016, 12:10 PM   #16
campingnights

Never been a problem rolling the cylinder out, rolling it in is another story though. Sometimes it rolls right in, usually hammer manipulation is needed. I think in real life Clint Eastwood would have been drilled while he fiddled changing cylinders.
Might make more sense buying a factory job, if you can find a 5 inch barrel, but you would only get pennies on a dollar for a used black powder revolver. It's not a matter of money, I just plain like the fit and balance of my Remmy. If I don't screw up the frame cut, it's something the kids could have and use safely.

Last edited by campingnights; March 30, 2016 at 12:16 PM.