The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 18, 2020, 07:39 PM   #1
pcxxxx42

Ruger MK IV Jam

I put about six shots down the tube of my new Ruger sporting an Oculus Suppressor, and all you heard was "pft, clack-clack." No hearing protection.

---->>> I can break louder wind on demand.

So I decided to put the Volquartsen kit in it, mostly to get rid of that dangerous mag interlock, but also to make the trigger break similar to my MK II and MK III. Finally got that done.
  • HINT: There is a sear spacer washer their video implies goes on all MK IVs, but it is only for the 22/45.

That ruined my day, had to resort to plentiful bourbon to get my blood pressure back to normal.

So next day after a call to V. I get the kit installed and the trigger adjusted. I let the slide drop on an empty chamber about ten times with the mag release as I was putting final touches on the trigger stops. Put it away.

Day 3. Take out of safe and open bolt, but? BOLT STUCK SHUT.

What the what? No amount of my (somewhat diminished) strength could even budge the sucker.

I had to take some drill rod thru the muzzle and pound that sucker out. Luckily the rod hit right in the bolt center and din't scrod the firing pin.

The recoil spring had become unwound and jammed the gun?

I've done this maneuver dropping the bolt as described a thousand times on my MK II. Never an issue. Now I know beddah but I din't think a dozen drops would hurt anything.

Think again...
Old September 19, 2020, 01:06 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

You fit the trigger or just put it in?
A rod down the barrel of a .22 will more likely damage the extractor.
Old September 19, 2020, 06:06 PM   #3
pcxxxx42

Nah, the rod nearly filled the bore and hit perfectly in the bolt center.

The trigger was a Volquartsen kit part. I saw no need to fit it.

UPDATE: Duh.me

I scrod the rear scope mount screw down after I had put the gun back together. Silly me never thought to check if it was a thru hole, so this was totally a screw up on my part.

I know better than to assume this, but I think we all have a stupid fit from time to time.
Old September 19, 2020, 07:03 PM   #4
mxsailor803

Hey if you haven’t screwed up like that before, you haven’t been messing with guns very long. At least it was a simple fix.