The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 25, 2011, 09:08 PM   #1
Eghad

Fazakerely 7/52 Enfield Mk4 No 2 (F)

I purchased this rifle still in the wrap and took it off and cleaned it up back around 1994 for about $150.00. I don't believe it was ever issued as it is probably a little less than 100% condition. I fired it a few times to make sure it was operational after cleaning. The 31st Blue Book edition is telling me its about $1050.00 and add 30% percent for a Mk2. I would like to sell it at a fair price to a collector as I am getting older and really don't have much use for it. I am amazed at the Blue Book Price. Serial Number is PF 24877*. All the serial numbers match on the stock and magazine. The stock is a darker color but that may be from the preservative. in the wrap. The stock is not blond in color. It has no import markings.

NRA Life Member
Old July 25, 2011, 11:26 PM   #2
gyvel

Check very closely at the muzzle end of the barrel. I believe you will find a tiny import mark there.
Old July 26, 2011, 12:06 AM   #3
Eghad

I have gone over it from top to bottom I checked the muzzle with my streamlight and I could find nothing. When I got it it was totally wrapped up in the preservative paper There are two markings on each side of the front sight protecter but they are covered in the coating from the factory. I have some import markings on my other milsurps near the muzzle but nothing on this one.

NRA Life Member
Old July 26, 2011, 06:52 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I had a time finding the mark on mine, but it was there. Rarely they would miss marking one, and some folks consider those to be worth a bit more.

Jim
Old July 26, 2011, 09:17 PM   #5
Eghad

I have a few milsurps that are marked that way. I took the streamlight out and looked till my eyes hurt but could find nary a mark.

NRA Life Member
Old July 27, 2011, 04:22 PM   #6
wogpotter

Not every #4 Mk2 was import marked. I have one that isn't as well. It just means it was imported before the import mark law was enacted in (I think 1968?).
The value you are seeing quoted is for a perfect still in the wrap specimen BTW. Once unwrapped you'll be lucky to get $550.00 for it.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old August 7, 2011, 01:50 AM   #7
T. O'Heir

Hi. Blue Book values have little to do with reality. They reflect values from all over the U.S. with no regard for local supply and demand.
However, any in-the-wrap No. 4 Mk II is worth far more when left in the wrap. It's not one of the "Irish Contract" rifles. The serial numbers for those run PF309348 to PF359347. Possibly a Burma contract rifle. Still not worth a grand plus 30 though.
Difference between a Mk I and a Mk II is where the trigger attaches to the rifle. Moved to the receiver on a Mk II.
Old August 7, 2011, 09:33 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Just FWIW, an import mark has been required since about 1896. It is usually seen as the "country of origin" (COO) mark, the usual "Made in xxxx", and that was the case for all goods prior to 1968, when the law was changed for firearms to require the name and address of the importer and the caliber.

Those No. 4's were not imported prior to 1968, so they should have the full marking. Mistakes have been made, like the fairly common case of an "ENGLAND" mark on a Savage-made No.4; sometimes the workers just didn't put the mark on, but it was required.

Jim
Old August 11, 2011, 09:00 PM   #9
Eghad

I have looked and looked but I can not find one. All my other military surplus rifles have one.

I used a very powerful flashlight to examine all over the rifle.

NRA Life Member