The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 27, 2018, 06:53 PM   #26
DPris
Member Emeritus

It CAN be shot as it came.
If it functions, the device has obviously been de-activated, so no ring needed.
Denis
Old July 27, 2018, 08:59 PM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Obviously worn, broken or beat on to destroy the lock function.
I would agree with this. Most likely, someone acquired the revolver without the magnetic ring(s), and broke the frame unit so the gun would function.

Then put the broken piece back in the frame.

Never a factory item. Unless you can find a collector who is interested in unusual aftermarket modifications (and broken ones, at that) there is no collector interest or value.
Old July 28, 2018, 11:58 AM   #28
tipoc

Never say never too soon.

As shown the place that made these still does so (or the company that bought the original company that started it still does). The frame was cut to allow for the installation of the aftermarket part. The part is there and still possibly intact. So if a fella wanted to it could be sent to the outfit in Jersey that still makes this mod.

Point is it ain't hard to find people that like gizmos on guns like this. You don't have to look for them, they look for you. Or rather the gizmo. Post the piece on other forums, particularly S&W. The interested will find you. Look for a swap, or $100. more than you paid for it. (the original seller should have told the OP about this before the sale). Judge Judy would rule against him.

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.
Old July 28, 2018, 12:31 PM   #29
jmr40

I vaguely remember reading about this modification but it had been pushed so far back in my memory that I'd have never remembered it without this thread. I've never actually seen one. I have no idea about value, but I'd keep it as a curiosity if nothing else. Now if someone offered enough cash I'd let it go too.

Winston Churchill
Old July 28, 2018, 12:42 PM   #30
DPris
Member Emeritus

I can find two archival images of the Magna Trigger modification, one with a modified but intact frontstrap, and one with a cut-out frontstrap and insert as shown in the gun in this thread.
Apparently Tarnhelm did it both ways.

The gun here is NOT a BubbaJob, it was done that way by Tarnhelm.
Denis
Old July 30, 2018, 07:04 AM   #31
Master Blaster

Put a good Hogue wood grip on the gun or an original Smith & Wesson wood grip after you take the abomination off, keep and shoot the gun. Sell the abomination as is on S&W forum or ebay to a collector.

The folks that sold you the gun knew about the modification and did not tell you as they had to take the grip off to get the serial number when they logged the gun into their bound book.

I would never buy another gun from them and be sure to let us and all your gun owning friends know who the sellers are as they are not trustworthy gun dealers.
Old July 30, 2018, 09:43 AM   #32
BillM

Looks like the company is still in business. If it were mine I would try to document
what PD it was from and if that finish was original (looks a bit too good for a 36+ yr
old gun). Maybe pick up a couple of magnetic rings and make it functional? It's
an interesting bit of history, and there are collectors interested in such things.
Old July 30, 2018, 01:44 PM   #33
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Maybe pick up a couple of magnetic rings and make it functional?
Its nonfunctional now, and the metal grain structure exposed in the pic makes me think it has been broken. New magnetic rings won't do anything but give you new rings to wear. The rings were to turn the blocking mechanism OFF, and it is already (permanently) off.

Restoring its function will require repair/replacement by the maker. Or someone else with the parts and tech skills needed.
Old July 30, 2018, 02:38 PM   #34
Bill DeShivs

The gun has been refinished (badly) in satin nickel or chrome.
Old July 30, 2018, 06:06 PM   #35
stagpanther

Looks like a concealable emergency back-up beer bottle opener to me. Police always get the good stuff.