The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 25, 2018, 05:24 PM   #51
SmokeyLonesome

WHAT?
Old July 27, 2018, 10:20 PM   #52
Andy Blozinski

Firing a PPSH-41 in a small room without hearing protection is a very painful thing to do.
Old August 17, 2018, 05:14 AM   #53
TheNatureBoy

Twice. 9mm in our bedroom and .30-6 in the attic. Not fun! What did I learn from those experiences? Clear all firearms after I finish hunting and target shooting.
Old August 30, 2018, 10:43 AM   #54
Erno86

I heard from another shooter at our outdoor range: That shooting a 357 mag round from a pistol in a room, will cause one's ears to bleed. That's why I load my bedroom gun (M-19 S&W Snubby) with 38 Specials; with backup amplified hearing protection readily available if need be.

--- George Orwell
Old August 30, 2018, 05:15 PM   #55
Skans

Years ago, I fired a .38 special revolver out the window of a vehicle in the woods. It was freaking loud! I didn't do that again.
Old August 30, 2018, 08:32 PM   #56
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I heard from another shooter at our outdoor range: That shooting a 357 mag round from a pistol in a room, will cause one's ears to bleed.
My ears didn't bleed, but it was very, very loud. I was deaf for several minutes.
Old August 31, 2018, 08:52 AM   #57
Sickle

Never had this happen and I'm glad. Sounds like a nightmare from what I can read.
Old August 31, 2018, 11:16 AM   #58
rickyrick

I’ve fired rifles out of a vehicle, but not with the muzzle inside.

The worst thing that I’ve ever done is fire a rifle across the bed of a pickup and the sound was directed at me it seems. Bounced off of the flat glass and bed I guessed.
I’ve fired inside of buildings but I only remember doing it with ppe on.
Old September 2, 2018, 02:17 PM   #59
THE

I fired my GP 100 6 inch barrel at a dead tree from about 10 feet. After pulling the trigger it went pop, hiss then pain for an instant then a background hiss for the rest of the day. I will never do that again. It is not the recommended way to treat your ears .

Last edited by THE; September 2, 2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old September 4, 2018, 01:26 PM   #60
MisterCrabby

Left my ear protection on my head off my ears between reloads. Lined up and fired one round. .45 acp. Outdoors. Damn! Stunning loud. Lesson learned. I’m glad it wasn’t indoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 4, 2018, 05:08 PM   #61
blackwidowp61

Did about half of my trap and skeet shooting without any protection and lost about half of my hearing, most of the damage done to the high end and voice range.

As for indoors, I have shot bb and pellet guns as well as a .22 with Aguila Super Colibris (phutt). Did it once with a .357 and OWOWOWOWOWOWOW!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCrJleggrI
Old September 4, 2018, 05:41 PM   #62
gunsrtools

Yes, once in an indoor range. Left ear protection off.
Wow. Was that loud.
But no lasting ill effects.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old September 7, 2018, 09:01 PM   #63
Crankylove

I’ve done it once, a .22 pistol.

Been present for three others: 9mm pistol, 44 mag pistol, and 300 Win Mag rifle.

All were accidental, all were loud, but ears stopped ringing after a few minutes. Cant say if it did any noticeable permanent damage, I’ve been shooting since I was 2 (37 years now), and too much of it was without hearing protection, or was with too little hearing protection.
Old September 10, 2018, 12:01 AM   #64
Doc TH

Comedian Bill Burr did a skit describing the first time he fired a revolver outdoors, no hearing protection; he said he saw a brilliant flash, but heard nothing except a loud hum, which didn't go away for a day.
He went on to say that if he had to use a gun for home protection at night, the first thing that would happen is that he'd lose all night vision, the second thing would be that he would be deaf - and that if he missed he couldn't see or hear the intruder. That's why he said his choice would be a .22...
Old September 10, 2018, 10:23 AM   #65
FindANewSlant

Sourcing from my cousin who has done so: made the mistake once, with a 9mm. hurt like hell, no lasting effects after a few days.
Old September 11, 2018, 11:54 AM   #66
luger fan

Yes. .357 idiot move. Ears rang and scared the heck out of the dogs.
Old September 13, 2018, 12:53 PM   #67
dstryr

Probably around 1982 or 1983, 14 or 15 years old I was bailing hay for a neighbor and we stopped for lunch. Riding back to the field in his Jeep pickup we spotted a woodchuck in the bean field so from around 200 yards he turned the truck on the gravel road, put the barrel of the 30-06 that was hanging in the back window out the vent window and spun that woodchuck into its afterlife. My ears are still ringing.

Without adequate hearing protection I don't recommend shooting in any enclosed space unless your life depends upon it.

http://www.dstryr.com/
Old September 14, 2018, 08:51 AM   #68
603Country

My 357 in a semi-enclosed space is really painful. And I cranked off a round from my 223 while under a low ceiling carport. Both times caused pain and hearing loss for a time.

And when Springsteen did his Born in the USA tour, we were in the first couple of rows in the Summit in Houston. It was great and loud. I had a Buick company car back then, and it had a dashboard clock that ticked. After the concert I could not hear the tick for 4 or 5 days.
Old September 14, 2018, 10:03 AM   #69
Swifty Morgan

There must be a lot of young people here. I don't think I ever used hearing protection until I was in my twenties. Well, that's not totally true. I went shooting with a friend and his dad, and they gave me cotton balls to use while shooting a 30.06 and 6mm. The impression I had was that I needed protection because high-powered rifles were especially loud! I don't think cotton does much good.

I learned from ignorant people, so I was ignorant.

When I was a teenager, I shot my house with a .38 Special. I was in a hallway. I cut a piece of wallpaper from an inconspicuous place and glued it over the hole! No one ever found out.
Old September 14, 2018, 12:40 PM   #70
briandg

Several times, a .22 lr. It's not unpleasant unless it's a handgun with stingers or other super velocity.

I've had tinnitus since I was twenty or so. It has remained the same tone since that time, I have checked it with a piano.

It was very interesting when I forgot my muffs and fired my .380 outside. I realized that I had no protection, but finished out the magazine. It was my defense rounds.

Every time that shot fired, the tone changed, and for a long time, I was hearing something new and exciting.

It was greatly akin to this clip from monsters inc.

https://youtu.be/h-u6y8jl43M?t=28
Old September 18, 2018, 09:25 PM   #71
Swifty Morgan

I used to shoot a .22 at signs from the driver's seat of my car while my cousin steered.

I believe the statute of limitations has passed.
Old September 19, 2018, 04:11 PM   #72
gwpercle

Ambushed in my office , 4 shots fired at my head from about 6 feet away.
Only the first shot seemed loud . No bursting of ear drums , no felt ear pain . Years of hunting and age had already taken a little hearing , the shots fired took a little more from my right ear ...that ear was facing the gunman's muzzle .
But it really isn't a big deal . I've experienced a few other things that are a lot worse....
Kidney stones , bullet wounds , Staph infections , detached retinas and venomous snake bite ...those things are much worse than a gunshot in an enclosed place.
Gary
Old September 22, 2018, 03:35 PM   #73
Machineguntony

Once by accident. I was in a small indoor range and thought I had ear pro. I was the only person in the range, other than the RSO, so it was really quiet. I fired one round on my shortie AR. It was horrible. It kind of reminds me of that journalist who said he got PTSD from firing an AR. It makes me think they punked him by giving him an AR without hearing protection.
Old September 22, 2018, 09:33 PM   #74
Sharkbite

Quote:
It makes me think they punked him by giving him an AR without hearing protection.
Now, thats funny right there.
Old September 22, 2018, 10:39 PM   #75
Don Dayacetah

Yeah, shotgun, too. IMO, they are over-rated for home protection.
A pistol's more maneuverable, and you'll get your hearing back
quicker, too.