The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 23, 2018, 08:44 PM   #1
Old 454

Has Cabelas lost their minds?

Was in Cabelas picking up some projectiles and went over to check out primers...OMG.... 49.99 for 1k Winchester LP primers. Same for LRP ... they lost my business.
Old August 23, 2018, 08:51 PM   #2
JERRYS.

after equipment, set up, and components, its only after about 75 million rounds that you break even from just buying the ammo. LOL
Old August 23, 2018, 10:33 PM   #3
disseminator

I fear it's just beginning.....
Old August 23, 2018, 10:41 PM   #4
jmr40

That is actually pretty close to the going price locally in most any store. I can get them cheaper, but I'd either have to pay hazmat fees or drive far enough that I'd burn more in gas than I'd save.

I pay the price. An extra $15/1000 rounds loaded isn't going to break the bank.

Winston Churchill
Old August 23, 2018, 10:44 PM   #5
disseminator

^^^^^ Buy 'em 5000 at a time and look for sales on shipping and hazmat. Powder Valley is your friend....
Old August 23, 2018, 10:50 PM   #6
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Apparently Cabelas customers are now funding Bass Pro's recent market place endeavor.
Old August 24, 2018, 12:00 AM   #7
m&p45acp10+1

Since the sell to Bass Pro. The executives at Bass Pro are working to consolidate the distribution centers for both store chains. So in effect they get to increase the buying power to one account. The thing is it is messing up a logistics system that was working just fine. In the end the higher price that was at Bass Pro for all of the items in the reloading area are going to be the same price at Cabella's.

The two that are closest to me are showing are showing bare shelves in over half of the reloading stuff. It looks nearly like it did when the shortages were going on in 2008 and 2012 and so on. I was told restocking items will not be put back out until the logistics merge is completed.
Old August 24, 2018, 12:39 AM   #8
Road_Clam

Gotta agree, visiited my local Cab's and thier prices are definately on the rise. I saw some misc 1# containers of not so popular powders for $37.99 / lb ?!. Cabelas and BP are doomed from their own corperate greed and stupidity.
Old August 24, 2018, 04:11 AM   #9
AVirginian

The also stopped their military/veteran discount on all reloading supplies.

I was buying bullets when they were on sale but that seems to have stopped also.

Sad. I still stop buy on occasion but generally walk out after about 5 minutes without buying anything.
Old August 24, 2018, 06:08 AM   #10
thallub

Bass Pro in Oklahoma City has no powder on display. They claim the fire marshall won't allow that. One must ask the counter help for powder; they seldom have popular powders in stock. Meanwhile, at the Oklahoma City Cabela's store there's a poor selection of powder on the shelves.

Sad to say, Cabela's and Bass Pro are lost causes.

Last edited by thallub; August 24, 2018 at 06:58 AM.
Old August 24, 2018, 07:33 AM   #11
MisterAllen

Last time i was at cabelas in june i got cci primers for 32.00 a 1000.
Old August 24, 2018, 08:04 AM   #12
mrdaputer

I was at Cabela's a couple of weeks back I needed some large pistol primers. All they had was one box of large mag pistol primers so I had to buy those.
Old August 24, 2018, 10:33 AM   #13
RickB

That's what I paid for Winchester small pistol primers at my local gun store, a few months ago; $50 for 1000 primers, and $35 for a pound of Bullseye.
They apparently didn't get the message that neither is in short supply, anymore, but the same thing happened after a primer shortage, twenty years ago; when supplies returned, the price never went back to the pre-shortage price ($10/k in the mid-'90s).
Old August 24, 2018, 11:53 AM   #14
kmw1954

I've been bringing this up for months. The Cabela's nearest me has been out of primers since Feb.. Every time I go online and check availability at the store in Illinois or any of the stores here In Wisconsin all brands of primers come back as Out of Stock and have been that way again, since March.

The Bass Pro Shop closest to me only carries CCI primers and those can only be purchased by the 100pc sleeve at $4.99

I am down to my last 800 SPP and my last 800LPP. I am done waiting for BPS/Cabela's to make up their business minds and stock anything and I will not pay $4.99 a sleeve. I used to enjoy being about to just go to the store and pick up a couple boxes as needed. Now I will alter my habits and buy larger quantities less frequently.
Old August 24, 2018, 12:17 PM   #15
thallub

The Lawton Academy store has a good supply of primers. LR primers are $3.99 per hundred.
Old August 24, 2018, 12:29 PM   #16
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
after equipment, set up, and components, its only after about 75 million rounds that you break even from just buying the ammo. LOL
This is true. However, I find reloading to be a challenging and a fun hobby. Store bought ammo is a one size conservatively fits all for the most part. It's fun to work up a load that's just perfect for the rifle or handgun that it will be used in.
Old August 24, 2018, 12:39 PM   #17
FITASC

Quote:
Apparently Cabelas customers are now funding Bass Pro's recent market place endeavor.
BASS inherited several BILLION dollars of Cabelas debt:

Quote:
Cabela’s had $376 million in debt at the end of 2005. Now? It has $4.4 billion. The balance sheet has been so obliterated that I would automatically disqualify it from investment consideration because it couldn’t survive the bad times. The stock went from $28 in 2007 to $4 in 2008, and the company is far, far more leveraged now than it was back then. Cabela’s shareholders may not know it, and they will go to their graves with the memory of the sweet $66.50 per share buyout, but the Cabela’s business was managed in such a way that it was destined for the corporate graveyard the next time a 1973 or 2009 type of economic shows up.

It is almost comical how leveraged Cabela’s permitted itself to become. It is earning $200 million per share in profit while carrying $4.4 billion in debt. Every dollar in profit was carrying $22 in debt. That is so fiscally irresponsible it is unbelievable. In 2008, Cabela’s managed to earn a profit of $77 million during the worst of the recession, and if it had a clean balance sheet, it would be able to survive just fine under those conditions.
That quote was from an article dated October 2016.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 24, 2018, 01:48 PM   #18
marchboom

When I can get primers for $28/1000 at my LGS, Cabela's will not get any of my business. Sometimes you wonder if they want to stay in the reloading supplies business.
RSO
Old August 24, 2018, 05:20 PM   #19
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchboom
When I can get primers for $28/1000 at my LGS, Cabela's will not get any of my business. Sometimes you wonder if they want to stay in the reloading supplies business.
I don't wonder at all. Their big business is camping gear, fishing equipment, and clothing.
Old August 24, 2018, 05:51 PM   #20
LineStretcher

At the Reno, Nevada Cabellas my neighbor tells me that they expanded the Fishing department and the Hunting department. They got rid of some of the clothing floor space in the process.
Old August 24, 2018, 06:03 PM   #21
GeorgeandSugar

I shop around and look for no haz fees on powder and primers. I do the math when I do shop at Cabela's. I'm stocked for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 24, 2018, 06:57 PM   #22
FITASC

Quote:
At the Reno, Nevada Cabellas my neighbor tells me that they expanded the Fishing department and the Hunting department. They got rid of some of the clothing floor space in the process.
Having been back there a year or so ago, I would still opt for the Scheel's - THAT is a nice store
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 24, 2018, 07:29 PM   #23
Average Joe

Haven't bought anything from Cabella's for years now, way overpriced.
Old August 24, 2018, 08:45 PM   #24
Tsquared

It's been about 18 months since I last bought primers at Cabella's. I was buying S&B primers for $22 a brick and I realized I had 34 bricks of SP on the shelf. At last count I have 19 sitting on the shelf. When I get to 10 I will start looking at sales on primers again.
Old August 24, 2018, 11:50 PM   #25
Chainsaw.

STOP. SHOPPING. THERE!!!

You are only tossing kerosene on the fire.