The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 21, 1998, 09:21 PM   #1
Bushwhacker

Afriend of mine said that a Mini-14 can be converted to full auto ,can it?
also does any one know of a "drum magazine for the mini-14" What about a bull bbl?

[This message has been edited by FLYERM14 (edited 12-21-98).]
Old December 21, 1998, 09:25 PM   #2
Rob Pincus

There are legal ACC556's (auto version of Mini14) on the market. Any currently manufactured auto Mini-14 would not be available for civilian, non-dealer ownership.

I don't know for sure, but I believe that M.W.G. may have made a 90 round drum mag for the Mini-14. The AR versions were seen in one of the Batman movies on some cheesy flourescent Short barreled AR mock-ups.
Old December 22, 1998, 12:06 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

A little digression first on full auto Mini14s. While based on the Ruger Mini14, many parts from the AC556 are not interchangeable with the Ruger Mini14. For one thing, the receiver of the AC556 is different from that of the Mini14. Besides the obvious cutouts for the selector switch, receiver of the AC556 is slightly longer. There are a few other parts on the AC556 (trigger, secondary sear, trigger housing to name a few) which also won't fit or work with Mini14 parts.

Concerning converting a Mini14 to full auto, I believe it can be done. Paladin Press sells a book which I've studied and the suggested modifications are very similar that of the AC556, sans the three shot burst feature of the AC556. Modification requires some drilling & tapping on the receiver (and even without the full auto parts installed, is easily recognized by a trained LEO as a converted firearm), fabrication of a rocker arm (trip lever for link) and a few other parts. Since it's illegal to convert anything to selective fire unless its for the military, law enforcement or for export, it is better to follow the legal channel and purchase a real AC556 from a Class III dealer.

Concerning the plastic 90 round drums from MWG, they work. One would think that because of the design, the balance of the Mini would be thrown off. While it is appreciably heavier, it's not lopsided at all. It works, is fun, but don't shoot too fast unless you're willing to send it back to Ruger for rebarrelling.

Finally, Heavy Barrels from the factory. I remember seeing the heavier Mini30 barrels bored smaller for the .223 when I was at the factory in 1996. Bill Ruger wanted to make his Mini14 more accurate and sent one gun to TX for accurizing. The engineers at Ruger studied the modifications and found them to be cost prohibitive for production and from a sales prospective, difficult to recover costs (the modified gun had a heavy varmint barrel, trigger work, glass bedded action and probably some other things which I'm not aware of). As an interim, a batch of stainless Mini14s with the heavier Mini30 barrels were made. While I was told that all new Mini14s would have these heavier barrels, I haven't followed up on it and it's been two years now. As you know, the heavier barrel would flex less due to heat warpage.

I was talking to the assembler at the factory who told me that he could get the barrels to shoot 2" MOA by mere straightening. After the barrels and receivers are assembled, they are placed on a jig which measures the straightness of the barrel and receiver. If it is over .004", he places the assembly into another jig to which an arbor press is attached, and tweaks the barrel. The assembly is then remounted onto the first jig and measured again. When he gets it to within factory specs (which should give 4" at 100 yards), the assembly is placed on the rack and another is tested. Mind you, a lot of other assemblers contribute to building the Mini14 and if they tweak it, his work is ruined.

4v50

[This message has been edited by 4V50 Gary (edited 12-22-98).]
Old December 24, 1998, 01:21 PM   #4
christian

I've owned several mini-14's and after reading the conversion plans believe yu're better off with a factory hose machine! However if you lighten the trigger to 2lbs and hold the gun just right the volume of fire approaches 10 rounds per second. also 2 shot drop-in sears also can be very exciting! Bull barrels are recomended(600$) A+B DOW, in Florida does a nice job!Good luck!P.S. With a handload I've achieved one MOA!
Old January 13, 2005, 04:05 PM   #5
litebrite2001

I am new to this forum, and looking for a little info. All of these posts were pre-sunset of the clinton ban. Is it now legal to manufacture a full auto and then register it? I currently have a mini-14 and would like to follow the books to convert it to select fire, but don't want to unknowingly violate the law.
Old January 13, 2005, 04:13 PM   #6
WillBrayjr

As far as I know, You have to contact the BATF and go through the paperwork before converting it. You cannot convert a firearm to full auto and then have it registered.
Old January 13, 2005, 04:19 PM   #7
shaggy

Quote:
I am new to this forum, and looking for a little info. All of these posts were pre-sunset of the clinton ban. Is it now legal to manufacture a full auto and then register it? I currently have a mini-14 and would like to follow the books to convert it to select fire, but don't want to unknowingly violate the law.
The 1994 AWB had nothing to do with full auto weapons. Only a licensed 07FFL/SOT can manufacture a full auto, and even then it can only be sold to another FFL/SOT with a law enforcenemt demonstration request letter. Additionally, an individual with specific permission from the Secretary of the Treasury can manufacture full auto weapons but only for purposes of sale to the US government.

If you want a full auto, you have to buy one that was made and registered prior to May 19, 1986.
Old January 13, 2005, 06:01 PM   #8
Hkmp5sd

I still kick myself in the butt for passing on a transferrable AC556 offered to me in the early 80s for $500.
Old January 13, 2005, 06:11 PM   #9
shaggy

I could kick myself for passing up one last year for $2500.
Old January 13, 2005, 07:20 PM   #10
Lawyer Daggit

Auto mini 14

A full auto model is available from Ruger for Government / Police purchase. This featured in a George Peppard show a few years ago called 'the A team'.

I have seen them wearing 30 round box mags that can be taped together like AK mags.
Old January 13, 2005, 08:01 PM   #11
shaggy

As Rob pointed out, the full auto model of the Mini-14 is the ACC-556. Ruger also makes a short (13") barreled version, and you can get them in either stainless or blue finish, full wood or side-folding metal stock. The ones I've shot are fun, but I'd much prefer an M16 for serious social work. They're not terribly accurate and the recoil seems sharp as compared to a similarly outfitted M16. The short barreled ACC's with a folding stock do, however, make for a nice compact package with the factory Ruger 20rd mags. Law enforcement/dealer price for a post sample ACC is about $500-700. A transferable ACC-556 (legal for civilian possession & use) currently runs about $6000.
Old January 13, 2005, 08:27 PM   #12
Edward429451

This is as close as you can get legally.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...ght=double+tap

Have two of the MWG 90 rnd drum mags for the Mini. They work.
Old January 13, 2005, 09:11 PM   #13
shaggy

Quote:
This is as close as you can get legally.
Not if you have the funds. Here's a transferable KACC-556 machinegun (short barrel, side-folder) for sale by my dealer. Legal for any civilian to purchase if legal in your state (and most states allow civilian possession of MG's so long as they're properly registered).

http://www.jbarms.citymax.com/catalo...198/892811.htm
Old January 13, 2005, 09:21 PM   #14
Edward429451

Oh, sorry. I meant to a conversion or without buying a real FA one.
Old January 23, 2005, 12:40 AM   #15
PsychoSword

What was the price on it? Says sold pending funds, just wondering what he wanted for it.
Old January 23, 2005, 11:59 AM   #16
Hkmp5sd

They are going for around $6,000 these days.

NRA Life Member
Old January 23, 2005, 12:09 PM   #17
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd take a M-16 first. More versatile and more cottage industry support for new-fangled things you'll never need.
Old January 23, 2005, 07:35 PM   #18
PsychoSword

Must be nice to have disposable income.
Old January 23, 2005, 08:09 PM   #19
shaggy

PsychoSword

Quote:
What was the price on it? Says sold pending funds, just wondering what he wanted for it.
I think that one was $7k.

Here's another he's got listed for $6750. http://www.jbarms.citymax.com/catalo...198/892804.htm

If you're interested, best thing to do is to call Howard at JB Arms (610-798-0200) and see what he's got in stock. Howard does a pretty good business and his inventory changes pretty quick - his website is probably a bit behind. I've done business with a lot of C3 dealers in Pennsylvania, but I now use Howard almost exclusively for all my gun purchases (both semis and full-autos); he's a great guy to deal with.
Old January 22, 2009, 02:54 AM   #20
MatthewR

Hello, I am brand new to the site, just a few minuites ago. In reguards to all this fuss about a "Full Auto" mini-14; i have a question. What would happen if you just [U]removed [U] the secondary sear all together? I've been sitting here cleaning my rifle and studing how the triger system functions and it seems to me that that would do the trick. P.S. semi is better for control, I can squeeze off as many as I would imagine I"ll ever need. (no combat in my future)
Old January 22, 2009, 03:05 AM   #21
hoytinak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewR
Hello, I am brand new to the site, just a few minuites ago. In reguards to all this fuss about a "Full Auto" mini-14; i have a question. What would happen if you just [u]removed [u] the secondary sear all together? I've been sitting here cleaning my rifle and studing how the triger system functions and it seems to me that that would do the trick. P.S. semi is better for control, I can squeeze off as many as I would imagine I"ll ever need. (no combat in my future
You'd get to know the inside of a prison pretty good for the next 10 years or so.
Old January 22, 2009, 04:45 AM   #22
PTK

Quote:
Hello, I am brand new to the site, just a few minuites ago. In reguards to all this fuss about a "Full Auto" mini-14; i have a question. What would happen if you just [u]removed [u] the secondary sear all together? I've been sitting here cleaning my rifle and studing how the triger system functions and it seems to me that that would do the trick. P.S. semi is better for control, I can squeeze off as many as I would imagine I"ll ever need. (no combat in my future)
The trigger group doesn't work that way. In so many words, the hammer would follow the bolt into battery and not fire - it was DESIGNED to not allow FA fire unless there was a disconnector that trips when the bolt closes.
Old January 22, 2009, 10:27 AM   #23
Skans

Yes, a mini-14 can be converted to full-auto. In fact, there are a number of registered, transferable mini-14 conversions out there and they are cheaper than buying a true AC556 (probably for good reason).

FWIW, I believe that just about any semi-auto gun can be converted to fire full-auto. IMHO, a semi-auto rifle or pistol (or at the very least, select fire) is a much more useful tool under any condition than a full-auto bullet hose.

Don't get me wrong, I have an AC556 and I love shooting it. But, it wouldn't be my "go to" gun for either home defense, self-defense, or even in a SHTF scenario. If I were ever to find myself in a situation where I need to kick down doors with a team of folks and root out the bad guys, I would consider my AC556 an acceptible tool for that situation.
Old January 22, 2009, 10:46 AM   #24
Dustin0

Conversions of any gun to full auto without the right paper work will land you in the gray bar hotel. If was me I would just leave it semi and get a TAC trigger. I have one a 10.22 and can dump a 30 round mag in no time flat.
Old January 24, 2009, 12:07 AM   #25
ROFOCALE

tac trigger any good.

Is the tac trigger any good? I always heard they are junk. And to save money for ammo just bump fire rather then buy a device like tac. The Akins Accelerator was pretty cool. But the BATFE took that fun away.