The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 25, 2018, 09:10 AM   #1
dhdallas

Hi-Point 995 9mm - Cheap Fun at the Range

If you want to have a lot of fun at the range, I recommend the carbines made by Hi-Point. They are cheap to buy and cheap to shoot but definitely fly against the old adage that "You get what you pay for".

Most of the complaints I have heard is that they are ugly but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

My 64 year old eyes are not what they used to be so I mounted a scope and just for fun added a laser and flashlight. I might try a little coyote hunting here in N/W PA with it but for now I just like ringing steel.

Old November 25, 2018, 09:44 AM   #2
osbornk

I bought a 995TS several months ago and it has been dead reliable and it is accurate. The only addition I have done to mine is the 20 round Redball mags. I paid the regular price of $269 for mine at Rural King but I saw an ad this weekend that they have them for $242 now. I don't find it ugly but it is a little heavy. I am pleased with my purchase.
Old November 25, 2018, 10:19 AM   #3
keithdog

My son purchased a High Point 9MM Carbine, and it has proven to be 100% reliable. Yes, it's somewhat ugly, a little heavy and not a top grade rifle, but it is accurate and very reliable. He also went through two of the newer Ruger 9MM Carbines, both of which were very unreliable and returned to Ruger for a full refund after they were not able to correct the issues with either rifle.
Old November 25, 2018, 11:40 AM   #4
pblanc

I have both a Hi-Point TS995 and a Ruger PCC9.

Yes, I agree that the Hi-Point is fun to shoot and reasonably accurate. But it is a pain to take down for cleaning, the controls are awkward IMO, the Hi-Point magazines are variable in reliability and of limited overall quality, and mine has not been 100% reliable. I have had a significant number of failures to feed, which may be due to the crappy magazines.

The Ruger PCC is vastly better in reliability and overall quality in my experience. Having had two that did not work is a very atypical experience.
Old November 25, 2018, 03:38 PM   #5
Cheapshooter

Like everything from Hi-Point they do defy the "you get what you pay for" myth
Been thinking about the 45acp carbine. I have seen videos showing how easy it is to modify extended 1911 magazines to work in a Hi-Point carbine. Thinking maybe even a drum. I handload, and cast my own bullets so shooting a bunch of 45acp is like shooting a bunch of 22 rimfire.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 26, 2018, 03:28 AM   #6
bamaranger

big brother

I bought the 9mm carbines big brother, the 10mm (model 1045) just recently. What a hoot! About all my shooting pals look down their noses at it, and I will state up front that it is not as accurate as I would have hoped.....4" at 50 yds, on a good string, maybe 3".

But, it has been thus far reliable, I can shoot it better than a handgun at 50 yds, and it is reasonably short and compact, and gets all there is to get from the 10mm Auto cartridge.
Old November 26, 2018, 08:12 PM   #7
jonnyc

I've had an original 995 for years. Great shooter and very reliable. I improved the looks and feel with an ATI stock; readily available when I first got the rifle. The only problems I've had have been with aftermarket mags. I have a good stock now of factory 10 rounders and Red-Ball 20s, so I'm a happy boy. A cheap red-dot completes the package.