The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 10, 2012, 06:04 PM   #1
raceroch

magnets used to secure guns

Hi, I am trying to keep a magnet inside a drawer that is made of thin wood and the gun under the wood. I am wondering if anyone has experience with this or knows what magnent would be good (strong enough, but not to strong). I have heard Rare Earth Magnets are very strong, but am worried the gun will not remove easily...

Does anyone have any experience with this? I am aware of the ready mount/quick draw magnets but that will not work due to needing to keep the gun flush with the bottom of the wooden drawer.
Old January 10, 2012, 07:01 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

Use the magnets from a old defunct hard drive. They are rare earth type and will hold a large frame auto with ease.
One for the gun and one for a loaded magazine.
Old January 10, 2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Vt.birdhunter

Use a piece of tape or similar over the magnet to avoid marring your finish.
Old January 12, 2012, 11:52 AM   #4
berettaprofessor

I use the "old hard drive magnets" myself (cheaper), but if you don't have any, try these commercially made magnets:

http://quickdrawgunmagnets.com/

(You can purchase them at the NRA store as well, search for "Rapid Access Gun Magnet" at www.nrastore.com; $27.95 there).
Old January 12, 2012, 12:21 PM   #5
musher

Yikes. 28 bucks for a magnet.

Check out http://www.kjmagnetics.com or http://www.magnet4less.com/

You can buy them with a screw hole in them for mounting if you like.

Dip the magnet in tooldip to protect the finish of the gun.
Old January 12, 2012, 04:40 PM   #6
Te Anau

Quote:
I use the "old hard drive magnets" myself
Never knew of these,are they obvious?
Old January 12, 2012, 06:03 PM   #7
highvel

neodymium magnets are incredibly strong, check out kjmagnetics.com they have a great selection!
I use the fuzzy side of Velcro on the magnets to keep from scratching my firearms!

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old January 13, 2012, 12:38 AM   #8
JohnKSa
Staff

Most of the internal magnets in hard drives are NdFeB (Neodymium Iron Boron) magnets which are the most powerful permanent magnets currently available.

They aren't that easy to get at and are usually glued to metal "brackets" inside the drive. Even after you've removed the bracket/magnet assembly from the drive, using the magnets effectively generally means you'll have to remove them from the brackets. That can be tricky. The magnets are fragile so you can't usually just pry them off the brackets without breaking them.

There are a few ways I've removed them from the brackets, none of which are easy or particularly safe and all of which usually involve breaking a significant percentage of the magnets in the removal process, so I'll leave it at that.

A couple of cautions about rare earth magnets and guns.

It's not a super idea to have your gun or parts of your gun magnetized. Small bits of steel (like the normal products of metal-to-metal wear) will now stick to it. I do use magnets to hold some of my magazines to the safe door, but I try to alternate their position on the magnet each time I remove them and put them back. The idea is that they're not always lined up with the magnet's poles the same way in order to try to avoid magnetizing them.

NdFeB magnets are pretty fragile. They are sintered metal that is typically nickel plated to provide additional structural integrity and protection against corrosion. If you allow them to snap together or snap to a large piece of metal, they will often break. That causes a couple of problems.

First of all, you've ruined your magnet.

Second, a broken rare-earth magnet will often produce some very small pieces which are very tiny, very strong magnets which will stick to steel with impressive tenacity. And since each of the tiny pieces is a small magnet and the poles will be lined up in opposing fashion at the moment of breakage, tiny pieces can be propelled away from the magnet at a pretty decent velocity. Could be bad for eyes that get in their way.

Third, the nickel plating is very sharp since it's hard and very thin. It's really easy to cut yourself on a broken NdFeB magnet. And if the broken magnet is stuck to something you care about, it will be difficult to remove it without scratching what it's stuck to.

Fourth, without the nickel plating, the exposed sintered metal will oxidize fairly rapidly and gradually turn to powder.

Finally, it's worth pointing out again that these magnets are very strong. It's not hard to hurt yourself with them, particularly if you have ones that are very large or if you stack a number of the medium sized ones together. Be very careful with them, particularly if you're dealing with more than one at a time. They will snap together with surprising force if you let a couple of them get close to each other and if bits of you are caught between them when they meet it will be remarkably unpleasant.
Old January 15, 2012, 08:27 AM   #9
Te Anau

^^^ Wow!
Lots to think about.
Old January 15, 2012, 08:49 AM   #10
Peter M. Eick

I did a lot of research on magnets during my Masters and would like to echo that Rare Earth magnets should be treated with respect and frankly can be more trouble than they are worth. They are powerful, can easily pinch body parts in ways that will require reconstructive surgery and if broken can get in all sorts of bad places quickly with remarkable difficulty in removal.

Also trying to demagnetize a large steel gun is not easy and may cause damage due to the heating during the process.

Extreme caution is warranted.
Old January 17, 2012, 12:34 AM   #11
Doc TH

Hmmm...I was not initially impressed with magnets for holding pistols due to the possibility of inducing magnetism in the firearm itself. Looks as though those suspicions were well-founded. While I was not considering disassembly of a hard drive to get the magnet, the comments above make it clear that those are not common ferrous magnets and have the potential to be very dangerous. Interesting info!
Old January 26, 2016, 03:53 PM   #12
EvilE

Has anyone known these gun holders/holsters magnets to actually magnetize guns? Or is it mere speculation and theory? I've been using one to hold my glock g19-- should I not?
Old January 26, 2016, 04:21 PM   #13
kilimanjaro

I remember someone saying once you could magnetize your gun and then the bullet would not leave the barrel.

Of course that's birdseed, but he was convinced of it.
Old January 26, 2016, 05:05 PM   #14
wogpotter

Firstly plastic (err, sorry "polymer") isn't capable of being magnetized. Most Stainless steels don't become magnetic either, so I think you're pretty safe. The fact they're "rare earth magnets" has little to do with it, its more a question of the gun being made of materials that can become magnetized. Field strength (stick) will be higher for sure but that has no effect on any material's ability to become magnetized, just on how quickly a material capable of becoming magnetic will be.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old January 26, 2016, 05:37 PM   #15
gyvel

What about old speaker magnets?
SIFE
Old January 26, 2016, 11:54 PM   #16
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Has anyone known these gun holders/holsters magnets to actually magnetize guns?
As mentioned, stainless steel isn't easily magnetized, but most non-stainless steels can be magnetized. I've never magnetized a gun because I don't want any of my guns to be magnetized. But I have magnetized other steel objects made of steels that are generally similar to non-stainless gun steels.
Quote:
What about old speaker magnets?
I haven't taken any speakers apart in years, but the last time I messed with any, they were ceramic magnets. They are also pretty fragile and will definitely scratch metal.

If I were going to use any magnet to hold a gun, I would want the magnet to be coated with something non-marring or I would want there to be something between the magnet and the gun to protect the gun (and maybe the magnet).
Old January 27, 2016, 02:24 AM   #17
Clark

I have designed hundreds of magnetics, like transformers, but don't really understand magnetism, I just use a bunch of formulas.

I don't feel bad. Richard Feynman, my hero with the Cargo Cult Science lecture, and famous for a lot of other things besides making fun of vague theories, takes 7 minutes to explain why he can't explain magnetism.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO0r930Sn_8
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old January 27, 2016, 01:39 PM   #18
JohnKSa
Staff

Magnets are the closest thing to true magic most people will ever encounter.
Old January 27, 2016, 06:34 PM   #19
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Most Stainless steels don't become magnetic either, so I think you're pretty safe.
While true of most stainless steels, this is not true of most used to manufacture slide, frame, and barrel of firearms. It has come up before and people have tested their guns. I would love for anyone to test their own and report back. I might even compile a table.

Its not magic until you break one in half on a table covered with iron filings.

Tags
desk , gun storage , magnet , quick draw