The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 29, 2010, 02:31 AM   #1
DasFriek

Slugs for HD?

Here is a few ive seen and looked at, Post any you know of that would be effective and safe enough.

12 Gauge Rio Expansive frangible
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalo.../12-gauge-slug

Federal LE Tactical Hydra-Shok Slug

DDupleks Hexolit 32 Expanding Shotgun Ammo

Has there been any definitive tests and info on these or any types of slugs being used for HD without serious over penetration?

I use 3" 00 buck which is the tried and true ammo for HD, But a slug is more effective imo IF it doesn't create further danger by exiting the BG.
If anything i could put it 5 rounds in my stock extra ammo holder as if i need more than 6 rounds of 00buck a slug may be needed.
Old January 29, 2010, 04:40 AM   #2
madokie

frangible slug

Polywad ammo makes the old Triton Quick-shok slug also, it brakes up int 3 big peices as to limit penetration.go to Stopping Power .com for ballistic gelatin testing results on other type of slug and buck ammo.if you live in a gestapo state (kal,Mass new york)useing 3 mag load could be a problem if you shoot and kill 2 or more intruders in house , you selected MAGNUM ammo, meaning you meant to kill not just stop intruders.better to use ammo that doesnt say MAGNUM on the shell or box.low recoil 00 buck or LR slug will do the job just fine with out legal worries.

Last edited by madokie; January 29, 2010 at 04:50 AM.
Old January 29, 2010, 04:40 AM   #3
Nnobby45

There's no magic slug that's risk free. However, low recoil Tactical slugs work very well for LE. Indoors and out. The soft Foster type slugs tend not to exit from what I've heard from LE who've used them.

I disagree with your choice of 3" 00 buck. More recoil, slower follow up shots, and a bigger chance of blowing out ear drums. 8 or 9 00 buck pellets will work against Bubba and his friends just fine. 15 pellets from 3" not necessary. Again, the low recoil LE Tactical stuff works very well.
Old January 29, 2010, 08:14 AM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I grew up in a home with a single shot 12'er behind pop's bedroom door. He loaded cheap Winchester Super X and had a couple 2 or 3 on the night stand...

Thus I am happy with my testing of the same round and load those in 12 gauge.
Brent
Old January 29, 2010, 08:17 AM   #5
moccassins

using slugs for home defense seems moronic, maybe if you had nothing else

"One does not go to the top of a mountain for water or to a white man for the truth" tribal proverb
Old January 29, 2010, 09:02 AM   #6
jmortimer

The "tactical slugs" (low recoil) make sense especailly if you live out in the country. Even if the BG has a bullet proof vest on they will be incapicitated by a slug.
Old January 29, 2010, 10:36 AM   #7
DasFriek

madokie- Luckily i live in Ohio and we have a Castle doctrine
And your right i did choose a 3" magnum for extra power and pellets as i do aim to kill in my home. Im pretty poor so i have little to fear from civil suits.

Ill take a sharpie and black out the word "Magnum" on the shell and put "Hugs and Kisses" on it. I still wont buy anything like "Pitbull" or "Jungle" ammo or some of the crazy stuff on the market.
Listen, I hope i never have to point and use a gun against another human being in all my life, But will if i have to. And if i have too im gonna do the best job i can.

Im a rather large guy so recoil isn't much an issue, Unless im putting 75 rounds down range and my shoulder will bruise up. I do agree they have more recoil, But in such close tight areas with a shotgun i cant see follow up shots being needed much unless more than 1 target is present, and that BG will be running by that point.
But ill grab a few box's of the low recoil slugs and try them at the range.

My eardrums would be my last worry in a situation like that, Even tho i do wear ear protection at all times while shooting now. It used to not bother me shooting my AK's outside with no protection when i was younger, But i wouldn't do that now.

In all honesty im a bit more reasonable when it comes to my SD carry weapon since there is alot more gray area's outside a home in which bigger isn't always better.

I do think the LE Hydro shock slugs would be more accepted and give less legal issues if i did have to use them, Plus i think i can carry 1 extra round with shorter ammo in my 500.
Old January 29, 2010, 10:50 AM   #8
NightSleeper

Quote:
I disagree with your choice of 3" 00 buck. More recoil, slower follow up shots, and a bigger chance of blowing out ear drums. 8 or 9 00 buck pellets will work against Bubba and his friends just fine. 15 pellets from 3" not necessary.
You're probably right. But I keep a 3-inch 00 buckshot round (15 pellets) in the chamber, followed by 2.75-inch 00 buckshot (9 pellets) in the magazine. I want the first shot to be the decider. If follow-up is necessary, I'll take the lower recoil faster follow-up route.
Old January 29, 2010, 11:00 AM   #9
balazona

Which slugs can penetrate Level 3A
bulletproof vest?
Brenneke or Foster type hollow point?

Last edited by balazona; January 29, 2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old January 29, 2010, 11:01 AM   #10
DasFriek

Quote:
You're probably right. But I keep a 3-inch 00 buckshot round (15 pellets) in the chamber, followed by 2.75-inch 00 buckshot (9 pellets) in the magazine. I want the first shot to be the decider. If follow-up is necessary, I'll take the lower recoil faster follow-up route.
That does make alot of sense, Something for me to ponder.
Im really reconsidering all my SG ammo choices, As bigger may not always be better or smarter.
Old January 29, 2010, 11:17 AM   #11
KingEdward

"as i do aim to kill in my home."

Castle doctrine or not, not sure this is the best
phrase to put out there.
Old January 29, 2010, 11:34 AM   #12
ADB

Slugs are overkill for a human. And they WILL go through a person.

People here seem to constantly underestimate the lethality of their shotguns. Scientifically speaking a human shot at HD ranges with buckshot has about a 1% chance of survival. It's the same with a slug, except a slug is more likely to overpenetrate.
Old January 29, 2010, 01:23 PM   #13
ishida336

Funnily enough ADB, the soft lead slugs have proven to not be such massive penetrators. In gel tests, they penetrated as far as 00, in some cases a bit less. They aren't magical "bust through an engine block and kill whatever is on the other side" bullets. They're a big, slow, lead projectile. They expand a hell of a lot in soft tissue. I'd be more worried about well-plated 00 penetrating deeper than Fosters.
Old January 29, 2010, 01:46 PM   #14
greyeyezz

Quote:
Funnily enough ADB, the soft lead slugs have proven to not be such massive penetrators. In gel tests, they penetrated as far as 00, in some cases a bit less. They aren't magical "bust through an engine block and kill whatever is on the other side" bullets. They're a big, slow, lead projectile. They expand a hell of a lot in soft tissue. I'd be more worried about well-plated 00 penetrating deeper than Fosters.
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3_2.htm

I then loaded a round of Remington 2 3/4", 00 Buck, 9 pellets.
This load penetrated 7 boards, 3 pellets went through the 8th board, and one pellet was stuck in the 9th board.

"3. The slugs were "bad" penetrators. By that, I mean that they will penetrate several interior walls. If you have loved ones in your home, consider this as you select your home defense weapon.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot6_3.htm

It went through it like a dose of salt.
It was amazing!

Slugs are a poor choice for home defense unless your a homesteader in Alaska.
Old January 29, 2010, 01:58 PM   #15
Uncle Ben

I personally see no reason for slugs for HD when 00 Buckshot is easily available and is more than enough to end a threat quickly. Furthermore, it is much more forgiving in accuracy by giving you a spread rather than a single/large projectile.
Old January 29, 2010, 02:04 PM   #16
nefprotector

thesportsmanguide.com has a Buck shot& slug combo .12ga round. I ordered a box. Ill let you know what I think when I recieve them.
Old January 29, 2010, 02:59 PM   #17
DasFriek

Quote:
Castle doctrine or not, not sure this is the best
phrase to put out there.
Im sorry, Ill be sure and ask them if they would like a beer as they may get thirsty doing all the bad things they are there to do.

I know very little of ballistics between 00buck and soft slugs, But i would believe the Hydrostatic shock from a slug hit COM would be enough to drop a human at that spot, And thats not counting the damage it would do.
But i feel 3" 00buck with 15 pellets at the same range would have just as much Hydrostatic shock but do much more damage that is spread out.
Im not to worried about someone with a bullet proof vest invading my home, Robbing a bank i would tho.

mossy500camo- some of that ammo looks devastating, The problem is how some of its marketed.
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalo...pecialtyexotic
The Pitbull one and the Terminator with two slugs in it would both do crazy damage, But i personally dont like supporting an ammo maker who markets its ammo like that.

Last edited by DasFriek; January 29, 2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old January 29, 2010, 03:20 PM   #18
Glenn E. Meyer

Happened to see this.

1. Ridiculous blood lust!
2. Agrammatical prose!
3. Insults

Closed - and participants take heed about being on thin ice. We are thinking about this one.