The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 21, 2018, 06:43 PM   #26
bn12gg

Agree with Hawg, the JBMR is essentially a high op Lyman -- percussion. The OP wished for historical significance -- this is the firearm that lead the Mormons across the plains from religious persecusion.

.02. David.
Old October 21, 2018, 07:36 PM   #27
Hawg

Not to mention the GPR is about as close to a real Hawken as you can get in a reasonably priced production rifle. The TC and Investarms etc bear no resemblance to a real Hawken. The Pedersoli is closer but then it's bordering on the price of a custom build.
Old October 24, 2018, 05:43 AM   #28
Road_Clam

I bought the Traditions Pennsylvania flinter. In hindsight for me being a brand new flintlock shooter at the time was a poor choice. The Traditions' use an odd "patent breech" design in where the touch hole does not feed directly into the barrel , it feeds ignition from the rear via a smaller drilled connector hole. I had a lot of issues early on with misfires. Luckily the VERY knowledgeable guys over at Traditional Muzzleloaders got me educated and now I have a excellent loading method and my Penn flinter goes boom "almost" every shot. The Lyman rifles are better quality over the Traditions if that makes a difference. I love my Traditions Penn, but it's certainly a "decent quality" mass produced repro import flintlock rifle.

Tags
muzzle loader , muzzleloader