The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old May 15, 2013, 08:56 AM   #26
globemaster3

You might want to check out Jäger Pro's website for good trapping info. They are a bunch of retired, former Army AMU hub as who really have perfected their trapping techniques.

Hope your medical condition clears soon so you can rejoin the ranks of the armed. As mentioned, nothing beats a gun in a matchup against a hog, but if you can't do that, spear, knife, whatever beats nothing.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old May 15, 2013, 09:51 AM   #27
2damnold4this

You aren't physically able, due to medical reasons, to shoot a gun but you are able to carry around ladders and engage hogs in close combat with a knife? That doesn't make sense.

If a doctor has told you to lay off shooting for a while, carry the gun and only shoot if absolutely needed to keep you safe. I imagine that will be less physically taxing than climbing a tree or wrestling a pig while trying to stab it.
Old May 15, 2013, 09:51 AM   #28
grubbylabs

If yo you can, go on down to a local shelter and adopt a rather large dog or three, just make sure they have the temperament to do the job

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old May 15, 2013, 10:04 AM   #29
L_Killkenny

Lot of things that don't make sense here but for the sake of argument hog vs. man with knife is gonna be like man w/ knife vs. man w/knife. You're both gonna get hurt just depends on who bleeds out or gives up first. Tomahawk or machete will be more effective and the pepper spray makes better sense.
Old May 15, 2013, 11:04 AM   #30
justplainpossum

Well, it would all make sense if you understood my medical situation, but since that's nobody's business you'll just have to trust me that I'm doing the best I can. I am definitely going to go buy some bear or pepper spray (great suggestion) as a backup. I'm not hunting hogs out here, guys; I'm trying to go for hikes around my ranch with my dogs while I'm recovering, and three years ago we didn't have any pigs (well, not many). Now they are friggin' everywhere. I'm not going to let them take over my ranch or keep me from hiking around. We did a huge controlled burn to take out a large stand that they were living in, but even that hasn't slowed them down. Hopefully these traps will make a difference, but I've had so many close encounters in the last few months that I'm trying to come up with the best ideas for my safety. And as a woman, I think the boar spear is probably out of the question for me; I have a feeling I'd probably just bonk the pig on the head with it.

I come here for some great advice, which I often get. Please don't think I'm trying to start an argument, because I'm not; I do appreciate what I've learned here and continue to learn here.

I just realized that I had titled this "for the sake of argument"! lol oops! oh, well

Last edited by justplainpossum; May 15, 2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old May 15, 2013, 03:34 PM   #31
AC 45-70

In an attack a knife would no nothing to kill a hog. Everywhere that would make a quick kill is armored heart, head, lungs. If you can manage to kick the head hard enough they will run away though.
Old May 15, 2013, 03:45 PM   #32
BuckRub

When I have a certain medical condition trying to get the healing my body needs I wouldn't be hauling ladders around, chasing hogs or wrestling them with a knife or even walking on my ranch alone unarmed if I had hogs. Maybe go to a park or frinds place or someone else to walk in peace if you need to walk. Chill out, rest for now and let your body heal and maybe wrestle them after you get better.

Even when 100% and I'm a man, I ain't gonna wrestle a hog. But that's me.
Old May 15, 2013, 09:52 PM   #33
Geezerbiker

Have you considered hiking with an armed friend? Back when i could, I always found hiking with friends more enjoyable...

Tony
Old May 16, 2013, 01:55 AM   #34
justplainpossum

That's a good idea, Tony, though I really like to go out on my own or with my dogs. One thing I am definitely going to do from now on is keep my cell phone with me. Boy, I'm glad I finally learned how to text! If there's a bugger beneath me I've been ordered to send out a message, and my neighbors will be over with a rifle lickity split. (I can just see it now: "Howard, I'm in the second pecan tree from the tank, right above the 200 pound sow in a really, really bad mood...")
Old May 16, 2013, 03:34 PM   #35
Husqvarna

I've been run over two times, one time with knife in hand and it still didn't matter, my dog was on it and I didn't dare just stab wildly. funny thing muscle memory, I performed what I was taught in martial arts and it worked

but I am a big dude

speak softly and carry a big stick?
Old May 17, 2013, 04:37 AM   #36
Geezerbiker

Can you shoot a something like a 10/.22? If you're up a tree, it might take 30 or 40 head shots but the repeated pounding would eventually kill a pig.

Tony
Old May 17, 2013, 12:28 PM   #37
Evan Thomas

Justplainpossum has said repeatedly that she is unable to shoot any gun for at least six months, for reasons that are no one's business but hers. Can everyone please have the courtesy to take her word for this?
Old May 17, 2013, 06:33 PM   #38
grubbylabs

I think the bear spray will go along way's for you. I think that so far it is by far the best suggestion. It arms you with something that you can use, and has a high likely hood of working.

But I would also be cautious about your hikes alone. I understand your need to roam free and by your self, especially on your land. However, you have to ask, is it really worth your life? How would your loved ones and neighbors feel about loosing you to something so gruesome, let alone actually finding you after it happens. I would not want to put any one in my family through that.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old May 18, 2013, 12:44 PM   #39
publius

I would vote bear spray. A knife will kill a hog. Some friends hunt them with dogs and kill them with knives after the dogs catch them. We're talking big knives held by big guys and even they don't want to get into open 1 on 1 combat with a pig.
Old May 18, 2013, 02:51 PM   #40
justplainpossum

Good news! Nine pigs were trapped and removed last night. That's a relief. Now only 91 to go... lol
Old May 18, 2013, 04:06 PM   #41
Evan Thomas

Congratulations. But they're probably back up to at least 96 by now....
Old May 18, 2013, 06:37 PM   #42
justplainpossum

Vanya. lol you're probably so right!
Old May 20, 2013, 01:18 AM   #43
justplainpossum

Vanya, a new sounder showed up tonite -- about 4 or 5 sows and a dozen babies. How did you know!! Good golly, we're going backwards!
Old May 20, 2013, 05:15 PM   #44
Evan Thomas

I have secret powers?

Nah... just the not-so-secret powers of the pigs, I'm afraid.
Old May 20, 2013, 11:08 PM   #45
kilimanjaro

Presuming there are trees around, stab the knife into a tree at waist height, then climb the tree using the knife as a step up. Don't come down until the large angry animal is gone.
Old May 21, 2013, 01:25 PM   #46
justplainpossum

You must have me confused with one of those guys in gym class who were able to climb that rope thing up to the ceiling.
Old May 21, 2013, 02:28 PM   #47
alex0535

Bear spray would probably discourage one.

Maybe consider getting a large dog breed that will be protective of you while walking around. There are plenty that will defend you with every last ounce of life they have. The Dogo Argentino will chase and catch hogs, and will defend you to the death. Trained from a young age to protect instead of hunt it might make a great dog to walk around with if your worried about being attacked by a hog.

Last edited by alex0535; May 21, 2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old May 21, 2013, 03:03 PM   #48
Grant D

Get a Rhodesian Ridgeback to walk with you,and you wont need a gun! lol
Old May 21, 2013, 09:12 PM   #49
captainrock39

Hows your throwing motion every few minutes toss a fairly good size fire cracker out it goes boom and scares everything away from you. Your safe and critters go the other way lol.
Old May 22, 2013, 02:50 AM   #50
justplainpossum

lol! sort of like that scene from Jaws, where the "fishermen" are driving around in their boats, throwing tnt into the water to kill the shark?

I actually do have a large, mixed breed dog who hikes with me and is very loyal and protective. Maybe I can teach him to shoot until I can go heeled again; he's already figured out how to dial Pizza Hut... (geez, how many all-meat pizzas can a dog eat, anyway?)
Closed Thread