The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 15, 2013, 02:04 AM   #1
dakota1820

need some help with my new kahr

So I bought a cw 40 kahr. Was getting ised to it tonight and pulled the slide back with the magazine in and loaded. It loaded a round in the chamber. But I cannot open the slide and get the chambered round out. Why not? So far im not very thrilled with this gun and I kmow alot people like kahr. All help is appreciated
Old February 15, 2013, 03:32 AM   #2
Gazpacho

Is the slide stuck?

First, remove the magazine.
Try racking the slide.
If that doesn't work, empty the magazine, reinsert the magazine and give it a good smack to seat the magazine.
Try racking the slide.
Old February 15, 2013, 03:48 AM   #3
Fire_Moose

Drop the mag and pull the trigger.

No, don't do that.

Kahr slides that are new are very tight, strong springs. Did you try pushing the frame forward while pulling the slide back? With yer finger off the trigger of course.

Sent from my CZ85 Combat
Old February 15, 2013, 07:34 AM   #4
PSP

Most likely you have a round stuck in the chamber, the bullet itself stuck in the throat of the barrel. Perhaps caused by a long, out of spec round, or a problem with the maching and size of the chamber itself. Probably the bullet.

The solution to to SAFELY, vigorously, with force, rack the slide and rip the round out of the chamber. I've had this happen personally and it works. Some people suggest using a solid object such as a desk to push the slide against.

It seems stuck, and stuck solid, but a little muscle will solve the problem.
Old February 15, 2013, 08:09 PM   #5
chris in va

Please, I implore you...keep your finger OFF THE TRIGGER. Doing anything 'vigorous' with a firearm is just asking to get you or someone else shot.
Old February 16, 2013, 10:46 PM   #6
DATL

Like Fire_Moose said, these Kahr slides are crazy tight new. I have never had that happen with mine, but have with a new 1911. I think I just kept working it until it gave. Of course I have also had bullet shells stuck in the chamber that I had to pick out.

Would it be terribly unsafe to go fire it? At least then you're not working it with live round in the chamber.

..though I would make sure the round is properly seated if you can see any of it through the gap in the slide or something... if there is a gap enough that you can see.
Old February 17, 2013, 06:12 AM   #7
dean1818

You will get some interesting problems with the Kahr from new to 200 rounds

The problems tend to go away after the breakin..... It is a bit unnerving though.

The parts need to wear in.

The kahr is a nice little pistol.... Just not for me anymore

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old February 18, 2013, 02:00 AM   #8
+1k ammo

Had my new G17 do that - was my fault as I had a few reloads that were out of spec. I had some crimping issues as was doing new 9mm loads.

Anyway, I could not get the slide unstuck at the range with a live round in the chambe. Range officer banged on it and could not get. Glock armorer who happened to be there could not get, but while he was getting his boss, I just muscled it one last time and it racked back!

Probably more to do with your round than the gun itself but nevertheless, be careful getting it unstuck. I was a little nervous banging on the thing (gently and on a carpeted bench) with a live round but just kept finger off and pointing down range.

Gun was fine after that and I did not use that ammo anymore.
Old February 19, 2013, 12:15 AM   #9
AdamSean

Bere is what I would do as it sounds like the actual projectile is stuck in the throat of the chamber.

1) keep finger off trigger
2) remove magazine
3) find a safe place to work and push the muzzle onto a board or hard surface that a bullet can pass through if it discharges on the ground, while pulling the slide to the rear
4) if this does not work, take it to a professional in your area

I am not a professional and only telling you what I would do. Be safe as you can in anything you try.