The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 14, 2012, 05:39 PM   #1
kennethlee

Wilson 870 - Is it worth $1000

I was just down at the local gun shop and they have a like new Wilson Combat 12 gauge. It's the Standard which is a dressed up Remington 870.

See it here: http://wilsoncombat.com/new/shotgun-standard.asp

It sells for $1540 new and I could get this one for $1000. Still a lot of money but a beautiful and very set up home defense gun.

Any opinions out there to help me decide?

Thanks.

--Ken
Old July 14, 2012, 06:45 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

The Wilson guns are built on the rougher finished Express model.
I personally think they're over priced for what you get considering the Express base.

For probably less money you could get a brand new top of the line Remington 870 Police model with the same general set up:

http://www.remingtonle.com/shotguns/870synthetic.htm
Old July 14, 2012, 06:46 PM   #3
Creeper

Yeah... it's a pricy 870, but Wilson does a nice job. It's more than just a bunch of accessories, Wilson does a bit of work on the action.
It'll be the slickest 870 you'll ever operate, and they tend to hold their value after the first depreciation. Offer 'em $850 and see what happens.

Cheers,
C
Old July 14, 2012, 06:59 PM   #4
LockedBreech

A sub-$500 870 or 590A1 will get you a world-class combat shotgun. I can't really see spending $1k on a pump gun. An auto, sure.
Old July 14, 2012, 07:36 PM   #5
kennethlee

It's all good information, thanks.

It does seem a bit of a high end shotgun. As Creeper said, it does have a really nice action. I've owned an 870 and the action on this is a bit more refined.

I have a Wilson 1911 and have regularly lusted over the shotguns. Maybe I should make an $850 offer. That seems a good approach. You have convinced me that a thousand is too much considering the other options on the market.

Thanks.
--ken
Old July 14, 2012, 08:29 PM   #6
oneounceload

If YOU think it is worthwhile to YOU, then get it

Whether it means the same to me or others is irrelevant

Enjoy your new gun
Old July 14, 2012, 08:31 PM   #7
Creeper

Quote:
If YOU think it is worthwhile to YOU, then get it
And there ya' go. You only got you to please Ken.

Enjoy,
C
Old July 14, 2012, 08:47 PM   #8
NYCShooter

Quote:
The Wilson guns are built on the rougher finished Express model.
I personally think they're over priced for what you get considering the Express base.

For probably less money you could get a brand new top of the line Remington 870 Police model with the same general set up:

http://www.remingtonle.com/shotguns/870synthetic.htm
The "top of the line Remington 870 Police" is nothing more than an Express with a better finish and $30 of easily replaced parts. It is one of the greatest marketing jobs Remington has ever done. If you are interested, I will be happy to precisely list the differences between the two.
Old July 14, 2012, 09:05 PM   #9
NYCShooter

Quote:
Yeah... it's a pricy 870, but Wilson does a nice job. It's more than just a bunch of accessories, Wilson does a bit of work on the action.
It'll be the slickest 870 you'll ever operate, and they tend to hold their value after the first depreciation. Offer 'em $850 and see what happens.
I agree. At $1,000 it might be a bit pricey, but $850 is a good deal. The SF forend alone retails for over $300, the Wilson extension is $45, the Mesa sidesaddle is $60, the Wilson big safety is $15, the Speedfeed stock is probably about $75, plus the sling. That is not counting the work they do on the action. In addition, the Armor-Tuff finish is one of the best on the market. I paid Wilson $250 to Armor-Tuff a shotgun of mine and I can tell you that the gun will never rust.
Old July 14, 2012, 10:26 PM   #10
azsixshooter

I love Wilson Combat stuff and that would be a sweet shotty to own. But unless you are well-trained already I would venture to suggest that your money might be better spent on something like a $500 Remington Tactical 870 and $500 of ammo to start out with! You could always later sell that one and graduate to something like a Wilson Combat after you've become proficient. Of course if money is no object then I would say grab that Wilson, pattern it and go take a combat shotgun course at Gunsite or Thunder Ranch or anywhere you can make it to.
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html
Old July 14, 2012, 11:05 PM   #11
m.p.driver

If it was a Benelli semi I'd say go for it,but i have a problem paying that much for an 870,no matter whats been done to it.And before people start screaming 870 hater i have five in the safe.My favorite is an old Wells Fargo trade-in that i gave $89 for,and has ridden many a mile next to me.
Old July 14, 2012, 11:23 PM   #12
NYCShooter

Quote:
before people start screaming 870 hater
870 hater
Old July 15, 2012, 01:07 AM   #13
Gats Italian

Quote:
If it was a Benelli semi I'd say go for it,but i have a problem paying that much for an 870,no matter whats been done to it
Amen. There's never been an 870 made or modified worth $1k, unless the money was put into the wood stocks.
Old July 15, 2012, 02:38 AM   #14
Edward429451

Go find a used Wingmaster and then put an 18" police trade in barrel on it, and some accessories and you'll still have change left over. WM are buttery smooth.
Old July 15, 2012, 06:36 AM   #15
giaquir

No 870 is worth $1k,
my God it's a shotgun nothing else.
All that "hype add on stuff" aint gonna help
you one bit in shotgun range.
Old July 15, 2012, 07:37 AM   #16
PJR

The value of any shotgun from the lowliest single-shot to the fanciest double gun is a combination of the cost of the component parts and value of the time and talent of the people who made the gun.

Sure you can slap on the same parts as Wilson for less but how does the potential buyer know that the person who did the work knew what he was doing? Backyard Bubbas abound while Wilson has earned a reputation for competent work. What you are paying extra for is the time, talent and experience of the people who modified the gun.

Whether that is worth it to you is up to you. But don't let the people who understand price more than value deter you from buying a gun that while expensive compared to a stock gun has been improved by people who know what they are doing and have proven it.
Old July 15, 2012, 08:28 AM   #17
redrick

If it has all the options you want on it and none that you don't want, then I would say it is worth the price. If not build your own.
Old July 15, 2012, 10:18 AM   #18
Gats Italian

Quote:
The value of any shotgun from the lowliest single-shot to the fanciest double gun is a combination of the cost of the component parts and value of the time and talent of the people who made the gun.
Yes, and in this case, Wilson has chosen some really crummy component parts, (e.g. the choice of base gun). Besides, nothing, absolutely nothing, can be done about the location of the 870 Express' action release or its port blocking shell lifter.

If Wilson located old Winchester Model 12 shotguns in the bottom end of their price range and remade them into modern and/or reproduction trench guns, with GI or in house crafted improvements, as they do for Remington's worst effort, $1k or more would be easily justifiable. Putting spit and polish on an 870 Express is still lipsticking a pig into a combat shotgun.

Quote:
Sure you can slap on the same parts as Wilson for less but how does the potential buyer know that the person who did the work knew what he was doing? Backyard Bubbas abound while Wilson has earned a reputation for competent work. What you are paying extra for is the time, talent and experience of the people who modified the gun.

Whether that is worth it to you is up to you. But don't let the people who understand price more than value deter you from buying a gun that while expensive compared to a stock gun has been improved by people who know what they are doing and have proven it.
There's a reason posters are encouraging the OP to ask about $850. That's where the value of "competence time" meets that talent being unleashed upon such a poorly made, finished, and Cerebus Group cheapened, base gun.

For instance, none of Wilson's packages purport to replace the 870 Express' MIM extractor and ejector or to replace the plastic trigger plate and other trigger group parts that are made from aluminum on higher end 870 models.

Last edited by Gats Italian; July 15, 2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old July 15, 2012, 10:46 AM   #19
Al Den

If that 870 is reliable it may be worth it. If ya got the cash it sounds like a relative bargain, no? Otherewise, for a current 870, even a Police, I wouldn't pay half that.I do not trust them and low price doesn't fix poor reliability.

The 500/590 series' are a whole different thing -- I think they are underpriced myself...
Old July 15, 2012, 11:19 AM   #20
sm

Dfariswheel and I are on the same page.
Unless one finds a good used Police model of course...
Old July 15, 2012, 01:08 PM   #21
jmortimer

My 870 will only come from AIP Tactical and the model I like is $520.00
http://aiptactical.com/Basic_I.php
Old July 15, 2012, 05:58 PM   #22
oneounceload

Quote:
No 870 is worth $1k,
my God it's a shotgun nothing else.
All that "hype add on stuff" aint gonna help
you one bit in shotgun range.
And to YOU that might be true to someone else, it might not be

VALUE has NOTHING to do with only price, but it is a combination of price, quality, components, time, immediate gratification, etc.

If it was strictly price, NO ONE would pay $1.49 for a bottle of water while traveling at the C store - but at THAT moment, it has a value to that person - same with guns

Just because YOU wouldn't spend the money doesn't mean others don't look at it as a great deal for them and their circumstances
Old July 15, 2012, 07:23 PM   #23
kennethlee

Good posts everyone. It's all helpful, just what I asked for. Oneounceload and Creeper's posts resonate well with me. Probably because it's as they say, I like this gun.

I have a Benelli semiauto and a 625 Citori for hunting and love them both for the right application. At $850 this gun would be worth it to me.

Thanks.

--ken
Old July 16, 2012, 12:50 AM   #24
NYCShooter

Quote:
Yes, and in this case, Wilson has chosen some really crummy component parts, (e.g. the choice of base gun).
Almost every custom 870 builder chooses the Express as their base gun, because it's virtually the same gun as the Police. Keep drinking the Kool-aid.

Quote:
There's a reason posters are encouraging the OP to ask about $850. That's where the value of "competence time" meets that talent being unleashed upon such a poorly made, finished, and Cerebus Group cheapened, base gun.

For instance, none of Wilson's packages purport to replace the 870 Express' MIM extractor and ejector or to replace the plastic trigger plate and other trigger group parts that are made from aluminum on higher end 870 models.
Again, the Express is virtually the same gun as the "higher end 870 models".

To begin with, there is no ejector upgrade, as you suggest, because all 870's use the same ejector. So, let's go through the actual differences between the Express and the "higher end models":

Here is the deal with the Police vs. the Express (and I have owned and built several of each).

Generally, out of the box, the Police will have a smoother action, as they are finished a little better. This can easily be remedied with 0000 steel wool and shooting, over time: no big deal to me, although others may differ on how important this is to them. Wilson finishes the gun superbly.

The following are the ONLY internal parts that are different between the Express and the Police:

1. The trigger housing on the Police is pressed metal, that on the Express is polymer - advantage Express, as the polymer trigger housing is known to be more durable (ask any Remington armorer). I have bent a few Police guards, but have never damaged an Express guard. Note: I have recently learned that some of the newer P guns are now also using the polymer trigger guards.

2. The extractor on the Police is forged, the Express is MIM. Upgrade the extractor: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...duct/EXTRACTOR Cost $14.99 (I always replace the extractor, but have never seen a MIM extractor break on an Express).

3. The Police has a stronger carrier dog follower spring than the Express. This is also an easily upgrade: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...R-LATCH-SPRINGIt is listed as a carrier latch spring for the 1100 and 11-87, but this is the correct spring used in the Police. Cost $4.84 The interesting thing is that Remington charges the same for either spring (the P is black, and that is the only way to tell them apart). So why doesn't Remington use the same spring in both guns? Marketing.

4. The Police uses a stronger magazine spring on the 6+1 versions (I believe that both 4+1 versions now use the same spring). Purchase a new spring from Wolff: http://www.gunsprings.com/Rifles%20%...108/dID216#606 Cost $8.99 The Wilson extension comes standard with the Wolff spring.

5. Sear spring - As of several years ago both versions now use the identical spring (the one from the Express).

Those three, easily replaced parts cost about $30 and are the only differences that matter between the Express and the Police; the rest is simply marketing. Most of the custom 870 builders, such as Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, and AI&P Tactical use the 870 Express platform because it is basically the same gun at a lower cost.

Gats Italian, get your facts straight, sir.
Old July 16, 2012, 08:28 AM   #25
Gats Italian

First of all, I wasn't saying you get a better extractor or ejector in a higher end 870 like the Police, which is a Remington marketing gimmick, you get a forged set of those parts in the Wingmaster.

Rather than "virtually being the same gun," the real reason to use the Express, is the maximization of profit. It's rougher, already has a fit and finish level easy to improve upon, and it was built to a low price point.

What I was saying is that instead of upgrading the cheap parts, which would be their standard approach on a 1911, Wilson's shotgun approach largely consists of slapping on aftermarket parts and slipping in one improved magazine spring, coating the rougher Express and shipping it out with an extreme markup.