The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 3, 2012, 06:37 PM   #1
doug59

remington 1889

i just bought a remington 1889 sxs 12 ga. today can anyone tell me anything about it the old guy said it had a steel barrel and could handle modern loads does it have 2 3/4 in. chambers no markings on barrel other than remington arms co. ilion ny. usa i don't want to shoot this until i get more info thanks
Old March 4, 2012, 12:50 PM   #2
PetahW

[the old guy said it had a steel barrel and could handle modern loads]

NO, NO, NO, NO - NEVER !.

FWIW, 1889 was 122 years ago.

1) A LOT can happen to metal, gun barrels in particular, in that amount of time.

2) "Steel" forged 122 years ago is in no way comparable to modern steels, either in terms of composition, or strength.

3) ALL US shotguns made prior to 1925 were designed around the only available ammunition of the time, low-powered, low-pressure shotshells.

FYI - In 1925, ammo companies upgraded/changed shotshell ammo, resulting in loads that developed much higher pressure than the previous loadings.
That alone, is problematic, with older guns - nevermind other issues like age, wear, dents, bulges, rust, and invisible/untactile internal looseness/headspace.

[i don't want to shoot this until i get more info ]

Good move - Take it to a QUALIFIED double gunsmith (not an 870 parts-changer), to find out if it's within spec to be safe to shoot at all.

Then, IF it is, special, low-powered, ammo is available from the likes of RST or PolyWad (google) - so you might be able to have some fun with a fine old rabbit-ears double.

Old March 6, 2012, 11:22 AM   #3
jrothWA

THe Griffen & Howe company MIGHT be

the ones to contact for examining your 1889. They MIGHT even suggest having the barrels re-proofed in England, for blackpower only.

The individual manufacturing of the barrels and the amount of proper cleaning are the factors that decide the shootability.

Generally, "NO" is the best answer, remember it's your face behind the action.
Old March 6, 2012, 03:17 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You almost certainly have a shotgun shaped artifact.

As said prior, ammo pressures and dimensions have changed. Unless this has been extensively altered, modern ammo will go way over the red line in this.

Modern shotshells generate up to 13K PSI. That's the working pressure range of WWII era grenades. If things go wrong, it'll happen in between your front hand and your eyes.

However, the Remingtons were good guns for the time, and most had steel barrels. If a smith you'd trust your life to(because you are) checks this out and pronounces it capable of being fired with proper ammo, there's hope.

Gamebore and Polywad both offer short shells, 2" and 2 1/2", for 12, 16 and 20 gauges. These also are low pressure and designed for shotguns made before the Roosevelt Administration.

Teddy Roosevelt.

FYI, I've shot a couple 1894 Remingtons that had been "Gone Over" and enjoyed them.

HTH.....
Old March 6, 2012, 05:12 PM   #5
oneounceload

The barrels will NOT be safe with modern smokeless powder loads. They are most likely of Damascus or twist steel and NOT 2-3/4 as that dimension wasn't introduced until after the turn of the century.

Having someone like Briley in the US or Nigel Teague in the UK sleeve the barrels, or cheaper yet, make a set of custom full length subgauge tubes in 20 for the gun might make it more useable