The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 24, 2012, 08:10 PM   #26
TheKlawMan

I just got back from Prado. I went there in the heat of the afternoon so I could have a field all to myself. I concenterqted on two things; foot position and keeping the gun moving. This time I put even more tape across my left lens.

First I shot up a box on 4 & 5, but taking a few shots on one.

A veteran shooter was leaving and I asked him a quesion about follow through on straight aways, so he came over to see what I was doing. I also let him play with my gun and we agreed it shoots nice and straight and that it hit about as high as I thought. It shoots pretty flat. He had me take all the scotch tape off of my left lens and try shooting. I did that but squinted with my left eye. It looked like I was getting better at follow through and I seem to keep my head on the stock

After he left I shot a full round at the 16 yard line by myself. This was in very gusty wind. Two things; I shot as well on the right as I did down the line and my score jumped 3 hits above my average and this was a 3 in the afternoon on a hot and windy day when I was tiring and normally shoot worse. Half of my lost bords were due to the wind playing havoc. I also found that the slower I swung into the bird I got it closer in. With all this my kills were quality hits, by which I mean they were fairly sqarely struck and not just by a single golden BB.

Thanks for the tips.
Old February 25, 2012, 10:16 PM   #27
Boncrayon

Trouble on the Right Trap

Make sure you have determined your "dominant" eye. If you have a diagnosed astigmatism in your two-eye line of sight, close the non-dominant eye. It was my problem because I was trying to compensate with a slightly doubled target!
Old February 26, 2012, 06:01 PM   #28
TheKlawMan

All I know is that last August the optometrist said that my eyes hadn't changed much except that an astigmatism was sligthly worse. I always thought that I had a right dominant eye and didn't notice a problem shooting a single barrel 870. When I got the over/under, soon after pointing I would go from seeing the top of the over barrel to seeing it and the left side of both and they point left of target. The last time out, I stopped taping the the left lense and squinted with the left eye. It is driving me crazy(ier). what may be making things even worse are these varifocal lenses. I wonder if getting some shooting glasses with for distance only will help.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; February 26, 2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old February 27, 2012, 02:14 PM   #29
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Yes, they will help.

I have bifocals for close work. My script is for astigmatism only, surgery corrected me to 20/20 a few years back.

My shooting glasses are the astigmatic script only. My Opthamolagist shoots a little and recommends no bifocal or varifocal grind on shooting glasses.
Old February 27, 2012, 08:42 PM   #30
TheKlawMan

Thanks Dave. I guess its time to break down and get some dedicated shooting glasses. I have been e-mailing a trap shooter/optometrist who makes them and he never even suggested that I get his glasses. He did suggest that I get back to fundamentals such as focusing hard on the bird and all but ignoring the bead. Forget about tape and gadgets. I like fundamentals and found that paying attention to them in my work was always a good move, so that is what I will try. And I am placing an order for some glasses.
Old February 27, 2012, 08:57 PM   #31
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Great! Now go shoot some more....
Old February 28, 2012, 03:35 AM   #32
TheKlawMan

I am. Tomorrow, I mean today, I have to give .300 Weatherby a lesson on the Skeet field. If I can only remember to release my Citori's trigger after shooting the first of the doubles.
Old February 28, 2012, 03:02 PM   #33
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Who's giving who a lesson?

Trapping the trigger is common. Fixing same is not that hard. Just practice....
Old February 28, 2012, 03:28 PM   #34
Strafer Gott

Bifocal eyeglasses

Eyeglasses are expensive, and if you require bifocals, even more so.
What helped me was when I got a new prescription, I had them lower the bifocal element a millimeter when they cut them out. This makes the bifocal
easier to look over when shooting, so it doesn't mess with sighting so much. My dispenser was happy to do it for me. Just ask.
Old February 28, 2012, 09:01 PM   #35
TheKlawMan

Quote:
Who's giving who a lesson?
I am the master instructor of how to do everything wrong. So Weatherby doesn't miss much, even on the trap field. Anyhow it was fun, if not humilating.
Old February 28, 2012, 11:48 PM   #36
.300 Weatherby Mag

I have trouble on the trap field in general.....
Old February 29, 2012, 02:20 PM   #37
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

One reason I'm an effective instructor is I've done everything wrong at least once.

And some things many, many times.

So, I can relate.....
Old February 29, 2012, 02:26 PM   #38
oneounceload

Quote:
I guess its time to break down and get some dedicated shooting glasses.
If you look at something like the Randolph Ranger XLW, you can get your prescription as an insert, allowing you to get whatever different colors work best for your area without all of them needing to be a prescription. And if your scrip changes in a year or so, you only need to get a new insert made and not new lenses
Old February 29, 2012, 02:48 PM   #39
zippy13

My friend, Randolph Ranger XLWs are Decot Hy-Wyd wannabes, and they come from Massachusetts. Decot is in Arizona. Who has more experience in shooting in TheKlawMan's bright SoCal sun: someone in neighboring AZ, or guys in far away MA?
Old February 29, 2012, 05:46 PM   #40
oneounceload

Mine came from TX Shooter's Optical, Skippy. Tom is knowledgeable about all shooting conditions and made some recommendations that changed my mind for what I was originally wanting and thinking about.........
Old February 29, 2012, 05:57 PM   #41
TheKlawMan

Actually, the brand I am looking at getting is Post4. The reason is wanting to buy from a guy, who I believe has been very generous with his help on general Trap issues over on SGW and who has been selling Barry Allen. When I contacted him, however, he is now handling Post4. Whatcha think about Post4? Unlike Randolph Ranger, which I once thought was the hot ticket back when I was going to try to use them for street glasses and, with different lenses, for shooting. Then, I decided to get street glasses.
Old February 29, 2012, 06:01 PM   #42
zippy13

Quote:
Mine came from TX Shooter's Optical
Mine came from a Decot rep who was a member of my gun club. A little more convenient than TX.
Old February 29, 2012, 08:19 PM   #43
oneounceload

Klawman, there are several great companies out there, whether it is Decot, Post4, Randolph, Pilla or similar, my advice is to get glasses that allow you to update a scrip insert so you do not have to buy multiple colored lenses every year when your scrip changes
Old February 29, 2012, 10:48 PM   #44
Jim Watson

When I was having trouble with hard rights from 4 and 5, a good Lady shooter recommended I raise my right elbow to keep me from swinging the gun away from my face. It worked.
Old March 1, 2012, 02:07 AM   #45
TheKlawMan

Lead! You mean we get to dance?

Bill Skiff said, and it went completley over my head when I saw it originally:

Quote:
Your lead should be to the right, about a barrel width visually, for the quartering shots, and about 2-3 barrel widths for the hard right shots.
Doh! I am doing good if I give a barrel width lead on the hard rights; much less on the quartering shots. I am shooting again tomorrow and will make a point of substatialy increasing my leads while keeping the gun moving.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; March 1, 2012 at 02:49 AM.
Old March 1, 2012, 02:16 AM   #46
.300 Weatherby Mag

Klawman,

When you figure out how to hit the clays taking a hard right... Please let me know... I'd like to hit them too...