The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 17, 2010, 11:26 PM   #1
Rocked

Choate Stocks?

My Ithaca 37's stock is cracked, and shooting it makes me fear for my shoulder. I've been looking for a new wood stock, but decided I may have to go plastic. Any body have experience with a choate stock? Or can recommend another company?

http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_pa...3&NewProduct=0
Old March 17, 2010, 11:38 PM   #2
jrothWA

Contact the new owners for replacement...

ithacagunUSA or try Wenigs for replacement stocks.

Have no experience with the plastic stock but hear that they give good service.

May ask where is the SN located? On the right side of receiver above the trigger ( also is the SN greater than 855,000) or on the narrow front face of receiver?

If it the last area, does the barrel have the same SN about the 5 o'clock position.

Reason asking is that prior to the 855,000 number, all barrels and receiver were
individually mated and HEADSPACED together, after the 855,000 number and barrel would interchange readily.

Therefore if under the 855,000 and not the same number, have a gunsmith check the headspace.
Old March 17, 2010, 11:43 PM   #3
Rocked

SN is 371,246,6XX. Early 70s IIRC. Not sure of location as Im not at home, but do beleive it is above the right side.
Old March 17, 2010, 11:47 PM   #4
riggins_83

Choate makes ok stuff, the finish is quite rough due to the material and they're quite heavy for what they are.