The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 5, 1999, 11:04 AM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

For those of you contemplating buying the above, I've just got word that a future model of the gun will include a selector switch to enable the shooter to feed shotshells from the detachable box magazine or from the magazine tube itself (currently used only to stabilize the action bars). Now, that's worth waiting for.
Old March 5, 1999, 11:16 AM   #2
cornered rat

www.jpfo.org has a review of the shotgun under "life preservel testing"...interesting.
Old March 5, 1999, 07:00 PM   #3
fal308
Staff Alumnus

The current issue of American Gunsmith has an in-depth article on this shotgun, including the disassembly procedure. This is helpful as the instruction manual is more of a generic manual for the IZH81, IZH81M & KM shotguns. The parts digram shows some parts that don't exist on this weapon and doesn't show other parts that do.
This is a Kalashnikov designed shotgun and it has no plastic parts in it at all. All milled steel. Comes with 2 - five round magazines for 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells. OAL ranges from 40 to 48, depending on barrel length while weight runs from 5.9 to 6.7 pounds.
If anyone is interested, I can post the field stripping and the detailed disassembly later.
Old June 13, 2009, 08:11 AM   #4
gc47

I see that this is a very old post I am replying to. But, I just purchased this shotgun and there is no owner's manual with it. As I have never owned a shotgun before (yes, a newbie) I want to make sure I fully understand its operation. So far, my internet searches have not yet found a link to the manual or another source for breaking down, cleaning, and operating this shotgun. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

-Gary
Old June 13, 2009, 10:27 AM   #5
6x6pinz

pictures of your shotgun would be cool

Try this link for a manual
http://www.eaacorp.com/Manuals/IZH-81-Manual.PDF
Old June 22, 2009, 04:34 PM   #6
gc47

6x6Pinz,

Thank you for providing that link. I performed some Google searches and never found that link.

Attached is a pic I just took of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baikal 1ZH-81KM Shotgun.jpg (243.5 KB, 1062 views)
Old June 22, 2009, 09:59 PM   #7
6x6pinz

If it works as advertised, that would have to be the coolest shotgun ever. Now if we could get someone like MDarms to make a drum for it, look out BG's.

Kind of jealous. Would love to have one to play with.
Old June 23, 2009, 12:34 PM   #8
SteelJM1

Quote:

For those of you contemplating buying the above, I've just got word that a future model of the gun will include a selector switch to enable the shooter to feed shotshells from the detachable box magazine or from the magazine tube itself (currently used only to stabilize the action bars). Now, that's worth waiting for.
Aww man, that was MY idea! I gotta start wearing tinfoil or a colander on my head so the government stops reading my thoughts and taking my good weapon ideas!
Old February 12, 2010, 07:45 PM   #9
gc47

Anyone know where I can buy spare magazines for this shotgun? I have been doing some google searches and have checked multiple sites and have not had any luck.
Old March 3, 2012, 02:27 PM   #10
Rick W

March 2012, About time this was updated.

I just got home from swapping a small lathe for one of these. It's a brute. I have two box mags with it. Workmanship is a 92 out of 100. Action is smooth and tight. Straight bore no choke, Racks solid. Magazine is quickly removed and changed out. I've loaded one with #8 and one with 00. No problem with loading one in chamber and 10 in magazines. 11 Shot Shotgun. In two hours of handling it. It has become one of my favorites. Mainly because of the mean, beast of a weapon look, with the box mag hanging there.
Old March 3, 2012, 05:03 PM   #11
darkgael

weight?

Does it really weigh six pounds? I wonder...my Ithaca Featherlight weighs more than that....can such a gun be that light?
Pete

Last edited by darkgael; March 3, 2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old March 5, 2012, 02:50 PM   #12
Rick W

Weight of 81

Nope, my gun is 42" long, added a mag lite. With one in chamber and 5 in magazine it weighs in at about 7.9-8.1 pounds. That's me stepping on scale with and without gun. I took it out back yesterday, Sunday March 4, 2012. and fired 6 rounds. Extremely surprised by how smooth, the action is. With the Magazine hanging there. It looks Mean! Only complaint is with the factory stock I have a sore spot from the low point on the stock, which is way sharper than it should have been. Ordered a butt pad for it yesterday afternoon.
I'll add some pix if I can figure out how. Rick
Old March 5, 2012, 03:03 PM   #13
Rick W

Ok read How to post Pix trying now

This is my new Favorite a Baikal IZH -81
Hey looks like I did it. My sweetie gives you and Idea how big it is. Not 6 pounds for sure
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mom (2).jpg (59.7 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg baikal 12 gauge (2).jpg (107.3 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 102_0051.jpg (246.3 KB, 46 views)