The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 29, 2001, 01:30 AM   #1
terry j

norinco shotguns

sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm new, so bear with me.
I saw a Norinco shotgun at a local dealer. It was a 12 ga pump, with the hammer on the back. The dealer said it was a copy of the old Winchester shotgun. His price, new, was $179 (I think)
Is this a good shotgun? Are the other copys better?
Thanks for any help
Terry
Old November 29, 2001, 06:38 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Politics aside, it's a cheap copy of an excellent design.The metal quality is questionable, warranty work in the shifting seas of international trade may be impossible.

Before CAS, there were lots of beater 97s around.
A few may still be out there, or you can pick up a police turnin 870 that will last longer than a mortgage on Disneyland, even with heavy use. Buy US stuff when possible...
Old November 29, 2001, 10:10 AM   #3
Coronach

Dave, you're letting me down.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old November 29, 2001, 11:30 AM   #4
C.R.Sam

What Dave said....plus.

Not shotgun but Norinco rifle, extractor broke. Norinco response to query was that they didn't do that model anymore and couldn't help. Owner had one made and got rid of it.

I am underwhelmed by the idea of buying a gun from the communist China military. Just doesn't seem right to pay em.

Sam
Old December 2, 2001, 10:29 PM   #5
Will Beararms

Why do we import weapons from those sapsuckers anyway? It's not like we don't get enought from China as it is. Get a Winchester 1300 for an extra $30.00 or so and be done with it.
Old December 3, 2001, 01:01 AM   #6
cuerno de chivo

So are you advocating more bans on foreign imports of weapons? Or on just countries that you don't like?
Old December 3, 2001, 08:53 AM   #7
Will Beararms

I could get by on American only-------------no problem but to put China in a class with the rest of the world and act like they are just a normal everyday trading partner is ludicrious.

The only reason they continue to get most favored status is due to the politicians. Put everything out in front of an ordinary American and I guarantee you that would change. No one of any character at all would even think about giving this Godless, murderous nation who shot down our plane and then tried to sell it back to us while contintuing to covet our trade dollars any special treatment.

Leave to our selfserving on the take politicians for that.

I get it China is no different from Italy or Germany.
Old December 3, 2001, 09:35 AM   #8
Coronach

And besides, there is a difference between banning something and chosing not to buy it.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old December 3, 2001, 01:38 PM   #9
cuerno de chivo

I would bet that we get more goods from China than either Italy or Germany. I would even bet that every TFL member has bought more products from China than from Italy or Germany.

BTW IIRC the SPY plane was not shot. If a Chinese SPY plane was forced down in the US, then would we just give it back to the Chinese??
Old December 3, 2001, 07:17 PM   #10
hksigwalther

Welcome to TFL terry.

As you can see, opinions are diverse on almost everything in this forum (which is a good thing, IMO, as you get the story from both sides).