The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 17, 2017, 01:24 PM   #76
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
If you expect to be facing a biker gang at a restaurant in Waco, Texas, then, yeah, you need all the gun and all the ammunition you can get. But if you just want to defend yourself against a junkie....
Preparing for what one might "expect" or "want" i does not really constitute prudent risk management at all. One does not control the eventuality.

Quote:
Despite what the news tells you the country is pretty safe.. how many of us outside of LE have had to draw a gun on someone let alone shoot them?
That's a pretty good assessment, in my opinion.

But it has absolutely nothing to do with what one might want to be carrying, should the need arise.

One would choose a firearm that one can shoot effectively, rapidly; one that has adequate penetration--I would default to the FBI testing standards; and a sufficient capacity.

What constitutes sufficient capacity? Consider these things:
  • not every shot will hit in a defensive situation;
  • the mythical "one shot stop" would be an anomaly, and several hits will likely be needed;
  • there is at least as great a chance that there will be two or more assailants as one; and
  • some margin of safety would be prudent.
Old July 18, 2017, 12:48 PM   #77
TailGator

Quote:
If you expect to be facing a biker gang at a restaurant in Waco, Texas, then, yeah, you need all the gun and all the ammunition you can get.
Do you think that the other patrons and the staff of that restaurant expected what happened that day? To me, that event is a better example of how innocent people can be caught up in unexpected events than it is an argument for light or absent defensive arms.
Old July 26, 2017, 02:57 PM   #78
BigSteveEM

Hello , I have had a CCW permit for years. I also am an NRA Instructor since the 90's. My personal belief is carry concealed by making yourself proficient with your carry gun/guns with the proper holsters. You are at a tactical disadvantage advertising your firearm. I am sure I am not the first person to say that! You have 0 advantage in advertising your condition of carry along with no need to verbally speak of it to people other than your spouse. I also believe she should have her permit and her OWN firearms. I have seen this kind of topic many times over the years and sometimes it ends nastily because the originator forgets to go back to original premise .....CONCEALED ! Good Luck ......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 14, 2017, 11:06 PM   #79
JDinAZ

Well as far as what you should carry base it on what you can hit with. No hotrod specialty gun is worth a plug nickel if the man carrying it can't hit the broad side of a barn. If you are comfortable with an SAA then carry it.

I carry a S&W 329PD 4" TI cylinder Scandium framed wheel gun every day full of 240g white box rounds. Mine has had the internal lock pulled and I put one of my LOCK DELETE part set and one of my Combat Cylinder Releases which is an all steel cylinder unlocking bolt or the Smith to replace the MIM bolt. I make both parts out here in AZ. (yes capitols its the branding name for my parts)

Overkill for the streets of Phx probably. But its a very comfortable gun for me that has had two potential failures that I'm not willing to risk my life on removed with parts swap. Not to mention its only 25 oz empty so I don't even notice I'm carrying it most of the time.