The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 14, 2009, 03:41 PM   #1
Northslope Nimrod

Tactics guide to home security/defense?

I would like to make my home more secure and uninviting to would-be burglars. Are there any good manuals/books out there? I want to do it inexpensively. No fancy alarms.

- Ideas of where and how to store weapons for quick access
- How to lay out lighting & motion sensors
- Landscape ideas
- securing windows and doors etc.
Old November 15, 2009, 07:27 PM   #2
Dwight55

NN, . . .

Most of your questions have been discussed on here once or another, if not mulitple times. Try the search feature and you will be amazed at what you can get.

Beyond that, though, . . .

- Ideas of where and how to store weapons for quick access
Your best quick access is on your person. Second to that is a central location where it is out of sight, but quickly accessible from most rooms. "Storing" guns or other weapons may seem the thing to do, but you have to remember that an unsecured weapon can become the weapon that assaults you when you step in on an uninvited guest who has found it.

- How to lay out lighting & motion sensors
Generally speaking, most folks use them for the one or two "normal" routes of entry, . . . used to warn of company, . . . or light up the company.

- Landscape ideas
Don't put large plants near (especially flanking) points of entry, . . . they allow the bg's buddies to be hidden or the singular bg to hide and ambush you as you come out. If you have to plant stuff under the windows, make the plants the thorny, scratchy, cut-you-and-make-you-bleed type. That can discourage burglars from your windows.

- securing windows and doors etc.
Windows should all have working locks, . . . doors should have at least one lock and preferably both a knob and a dead bolt. Door hinges should have at least one 3 inch screw through each hinge, . . . mine all have at least two. Door frames should also have several 3 inch screws up and down each side. No glass panels in the doors, and board up any flanking glass portals on the sides of entry doors. Steel rods laying in sliding door tracks are hard to dislodge.

There are several million other points, . . . but if you go to the other side of the coin, . . . ask yourself "how would I attempt to enter this house???" and then block that attempt. Ask again, . . . block again. Have your friends try, and block their attempts.

There are also some books at your public library on security, etc. They're free.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!