The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 24, 2007, 05:39 PM   #1
Norstrog

Cleaning Patches

I was wondering if anyone had anything to say about cleaning patches. I have been buying the cheapo's from Wal-Mart and they work fine but am getting kind of tired of cutting them to fit. I was thinking about buy some that are the right size for my guns but there's tons of options. Anybody want to tell me which brand of cleaning patches they prefer and why? I would be appreciative. Those that just cut up old shirts please don't tell me how I'm wasting my time and money on buying prefab. Thanks.
Old March 24, 2007, 08:43 PM   #2
skeeter1

I've been using Hoppe's patches for more years than I care to admit. Get them in the right caliber (I've got everything from .22 to 12-gauge), and they work just fine. Inexpensive, convenient... what's not to like? When it comes to cleaning oil, I'm partial to Breakfree CLP.
Old March 27, 2007, 11:49 AM   #3
NCHornet

Years ago I bought a 5lb bag of 100% cloth cleaning patches for 12 gauge shotguns from a company that was going out of business. There is easily enough for several lifetimes of gun cleaning, I just cut them to size as needed. They do a great job so I see no need to change.
Old March 27, 2007, 01:04 PM   #4
williamd

Yep, buy for the 12g then get a pair of sissors .... but don't run with them! In your hand or pocket.
Old March 27, 2007, 09:15 PM   #5
liliysdad

I buy the caliber specific patches from Brownells.
Old April 6, 2007, 07:36 PM   #6
Ammo Junky

I really like pro shot patches. I tried butches, but I didnt like them. Too plastic like. The wal mart cheepies work, but are not great.

I apologise in advance for spelling errors.
Old April 6, 2007, 09:42 PM   #7
stang46gt

I like oxyoke or Mil-Spec flannel patches

been using them for 25 years and they work great for me.
Old April 6, 2007, 11:08 PM   #8
rem33

I guess I am a cheap skate, I go to the fabric store and buy 100% cotton. It's somewhere in the 4 or 5 dollar per yard price range. I get the nice soft just a tad fuzzy on one side like a expensive patch. I make what size patches I want or use pieces for cleaning, wiping down with CLP and dozens of other uses.

Walk in ask the gals and they have always treated me terrific, show you just what you want. You get smiles etc they seem to like seeing a guy buy fabric.
Old April 7, 2007, 06:08 AM   #9
tegemu

Old tee shirts and strong fibrous paper towels work very well too.
Old April 7, 2007, 07:33 AM   #10
longtooth50

Meeee to.
I have not bought any patches in my life. (57yrs) When I was a kid we cleaned w/ a string dropped through the barrel & old t-shirt patches then. Be careful w/ your .22. I was a teenager when I got a rod & brush. Man I thought I was something.
Wish I could make my t-shirts last long enough to HAVE TO buy patches.
Old April 12, 2007, 12:55 PM   #11
kb2iaw

i get mine at the dollar store ...in the cosmetics section, they are about 1 1/2 inches in diamater ,cost $1.00 for 100 ... They are supposed to be for removing makeup...hey my wife buys em for me and they work .
Old April 12, 2007, 02:40 PM   #12
liliysdad

I buy mine from Brownells. A cheap patch makes cleaning much harder than it should be, and I hate cleaning guns as it is.