The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 26, 2006, 07:27 PM   #1
duckmart

savage 110 rifle

I'm finially going to try my hand at deer hunting. Only shot at creaters with beaks (mostly ducks,quail,and dove ) so far in my hunting adventures. I'm considering the Savage 110 in 270 win. scoped with a simons 3x9x40, is that a good starter rife package? I hope that some of you can give me some pointers so if I do get a shot it will go down.
Old March 26, 2006, 09:46 PM   #2
mtnboomer

Savage is an excellent rifle! Contrary to popular opinion, they are NOT cheap, second-rate firearms. They are inexpensive due to their unique manufacturing techniques, but they are considered some of the most accurate out-of-the-box guns there are. I have a Savage Model 10 carbine in .308 Winchester and I love it! The .270 Winchester is an excellent cartridge for deer and other medium-sized big game. I think you'll like the rifle and the cartridge!

Come on over to SavageShooters.net and we'll all talk about it!

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old March 26, 2006, 10:50 PM   #3
FirstFreedom

Quote:
I'm considering the Savage 110 in 270 win. scoped with a simons 3x9x40, is that a good starter rife package
Yes it surely is. What Mtnboomer said!
Old March 26, 2006, 11:26 PM   #4
Toney

They work!!! easy barrel changes too!
Old March 27, 2006, 12:23 AM   #5
dallasconundrum

I recently (about a month ago I think?) bought a new Savage package rifle, but in 7mm Mag. I love it. I did change the scope on mine though. There wasn't anything wrong with the Simmons that was on it, but I've always used Leupold, so that's what went on it a week or so after I got it. If you're half as happy with yours as I am with mine, then you'll be glad you got it.
Old March 27, 2006, 01:42 AM   #6
270Win

The consensus here on the board is that Savage is top-notch no matter the price... and .270 is the second-most common caliber in North America, behind the venerable .30-06. I happen to adore the .270, and I think your choice is a good one. Enjoy!
Old March 27, 2006, 08:51 AM   #7
dodge

I have a Savage package in 30-06 but mine came with a Bushnell sportview on it. The scope lasted for about 5 years before it allowed the groups to open up to 2". I have since replaced it with a Nikon Prostaff 3x-9x and the groups went back to under a inch at 100 yards with the same loads. So yes it's a good starter package with an eye on replacing the scope and mounts in the near future.
Old March 27, 2006, 12:51 PM   #8
jhgreasemonkey

I had a savage 110 for 13 years and put hundreds of rounds through it. Great gun. Mine was a 7mm rem. mag. every couple of years I had to check the stock fastening screws for tightness because they would start to come loose after a lot of rounds. The gun smith told me that is normal and to put some lock tight thread locker on the threads. The gun was perfectly reliable and acurate. I shot a deer last year with a .270. It was a muley and dropped dead instantly with a shot to the chest. .270 is a great caliber for deer and savage is a smart buy! Have a great time hunting. You will do fine with your new set up.
Old March 27, 2006, 09:45 PM   #9
shooter_john

Great Guns

Go for it. Savage makes a great rifle at an affordable price, seeming no matter which model you choose. It is nice to see that Savage is starting to get some of the respect and 'publicity' it deserves. I have one in the safe (10FP, 223) and one on the way(12FVSS, .308)! As a matter of fact, it is quite safe to say that all of future bolt guns will be SAVAGE's.
Old March 27, 2006, 10:15 PM   #10
duckmart

Thanks guys for the input; I'm sure I will enjoy the rifle.