The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 25, 2012, 01:13 AM   #1
Dan31

1911 Magazines: Just buy'em and try'em?

Title sums it up, should I just randomly buy different magazines to see what hold up best? The STI Officers Mags are like double the price of everything else. Will SS mags hold up better than steel?

Opinions?
Old October 25, 2012, 01:42 AM   #2
Theohazard

Just buy Wilson Combat mags and be done with it; they make the best 1911 magazines, at least in my experience.
Old October 25, 2012, 01:55 AM   #3
MLeake

A couple of my guns don't like Wilsons at all.

I've had better luck with Tripp Cobras and Chip McCormick PowerMags, and with old USGI mags.

Wolf makes good springs, but their 1911 mags have been hit or miss with my guns when hollowpoints are used.

The thing is, you really have to find the right magazines for your gun. I would recommend not buying a great number of any one type, until you try one of that type to see how it works in your specific gun.

Once you find a make or two that work consistently, with the ammo you intend to use, then buy a bunch of those.
Old October 25, 2012, 05:16 AM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I also have 1911s that won't run with Wilson's ETM magazines. They lock up the gun. Wilson says the gun is out of spec -- funny thing is, it's a Colt, and out of however many other brands and types of magazines I've tried in it, the Wilsons are the only ones that don't work. And I don't just mean they won't feed reliably. They locked up the gun so tight I had to beat the slide back with a leather-covered hammer.

1911s are finicky about magazines. What runs great in yours might not do well in mine. There is no certain way to know what works other than buy (or borrow) and try.
Old October 25, 2012, 05:40 AM   #5
TBT

I've never personally had a Wilson Combat magazine fail in a 1911 but I'm sure it does happen. Regardless, it's a good place to start. Buy a couple of those and use it as an excuse to walk into a range with 3-500 rounds and walk back out empty handed.

Another excellent quality magazine is the Kim-Pro Tac-Mag. I've had unreal luck with these as well and they seem to be more readily available and at about half the price. Definitely worth a look.
Old October 25, 2012, 06:20 AM   #6
geetarman

I have a bunch of Wilson mags and they work in every 1911 I own.

I run them in a Sig, Smith and Wesson, Ruger and a Dan Wesson.

Carpe Cerveza
Old October 25, 2012, 06:23 AM   #7
Kreyzhorse

I've had really good luck with Chip McCormick Powermags and Shooting Stars for my Springfield TRP. I don't believe you can buy a more reliable magazine.

Generally Wilson and McCormick run well in most guns. Your mileage may very of course.
Old October 25, 2012, 06:48 AM   #8
mete

Make sure you number your mags so you can tell which is the problem and whether it's a mag or gun problem !!
Old October 25, 2012, 07:03 AM   #9
Robk

My Springfield never liked the factory mags or the Chip McCormick mags I had bought. But once I bought Tripp Cobra mags, never had another issue. In fact, I replaced the spring and followers in the other non-working mags with Tripp parts and haven't had an issue with them. Just goes to show that 1911are a bit particular in regards to mags. Best bet is to start with one of each, low cost to higher. I when to Chip McCormicks, next level up. Considered Wilson, but decide on Tripp after reading reviews about them. Good luck with your search. Guess it's just one of those special things about owning a 1911.
Old October 25, 2012, 07:31 AM   #10
dondulah

Only mag I have had that never jammed in a 1911 is a checkmate mag with hybrid feed lips.
Old October 25, 2012, 07:53 AM   #11
grumpa72

I have a half dozen checkmate mags. High quality and flawless in performance.
Old October 25, 2012, 07:59 AM   #12
loose_holster_dan

all the wilson mags i have ever tried have worked great after i have fitted them. i like their extended base plate models, especially when using magwells. a lot of time, the upper lip on the base plate extends too far and prevents my mag from being seated. i've tried filing them down, but the material is too strong. have to put them on the grinder.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old October 25, 2012, 10:02 AM   #13
moxie

Colt and Checkmate mags run 100% in my experience, and cost about half of the price of the Wilsons and Tripps. How do you beat 100%? And SS does not hold up longer than blue, unless perhaps you're a charter boat captain, or such.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old October 25, 2012, 11:50 AM   #14
RickB

Guns that are out of spec may need a magazine that will help mask the problem, and that's the source of belief in the "magic mag". If your gun works with only one mag, then you definitely do need that one, but that's not to say it's "better", just the one that works for you. If your gun is properly built, it should work with just about any of the mags on the market. I've used Mec-Gar, Metalform, Check-Mate, Shooting Start, ACT-Mag, and they all work great. If I had to use one specific model or brand to get my gun to run, I might look into getting the gun fixed.
Old October 25, 2012, 12:35 PM   #15
federali

Wear out Mags?

You would have to be quite wealthy to wear out a quality magazine. Any of the established mags, like Tripp, McCormack, Mecgar, will do just fine. They'll take you broke trying to wear them out.
Old October 25, 2012, 01:19 PM   #16
jimbob86

Quote:
Just buy Wilson Combat mags and be done with it; they make the best 1911 magazines,
+1.
Old October 25, 2012, 02:24 PM   #17
g.willikers

The simple solution is just to get a gun that works.
One that is right will work, as RickB says, with any decent mag.
And also with most any bullet.
While it's usually possible to tickle a gun into functioning with some combination of parts and ammo, why deal with it?
Old October 25, 2012, 02:27 PM   #18
BigJimP

+1 on Wilson's mags....

.......in all of my 1911's (Wilson, Ed Brown, Les Baer and Kimber ) ....in both 9mm and .45 acp....
Old October 25, 2012, 02:46 PM   #19
Skadoosh

I have owned Wilson as well as McCormick mags...but I now strictly use MECGAR mags. Specifically their eight-round mags with base pad.

They are made of heat treated hardened steel and I never had any deformation issues from being dropped/ejected during competition. They lock in positively and easily, and they drop free, loaded or not. I also like that round count numbers are stamped into the side of their mags.

Every single one of the dozen MECGAR mags that I own has been utterly reliable. And for under $20 bucks, they didn't break the bank.

Old October 25, 2012, 03:56 PM   #20
MLeake

Some normally reasonable members are sounding like brand fanboys in this thread...

As far as, "if your gun is in spec," please bear in mind that "in spec" for the 1911 was designed around controlled feed. Wilson mags are popular, and may work well with many guns (as they did with my DW), but they are not controlled feed.

Note also that different makes use different follower shapes, many of which are dissimilar from "in spec" for the MilSpec design.

Again, OP, disregard KoolAid and find mags that work well with your gun and with your preferred ammo.
Old October 25, 2012, 04:19 PM   #21
polyphemus

Controlled feed indeed,that means GI guide edges (feed lips) for the ammunition Master Browning designed that is 230 gr. FMJ RN.If the ammunition's OAL is correct there should be no issues.
Funky bullets produce funky results and then owners spend a lot of money on designer magazines to compensate for them.1911's are the ticket and anyone who wants to know about them should go back to the basics they worked and they won wars.
Old October 25, 2012, 04:33 PM   #22
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I see multiple plugs for Wilson Combat mags, but not a single one of those has mentioned which Wilson Combat magazine. I avoid them like the plague after their cavalier dismissal of their magazine problem being due to my pistol being out of spec, but the last I knew they were offering the 47-series magazines and the ETM (Enhanced Tactical Magazine) mags. I have never tried any 47s, but I know people who use them for police duty carry. The ones that locked up my pistol were the ETMs. They are NOT the same.

Likewise, Chip McCormick offers both Shooting Star and Powermag lines. I'm not sure just what the difference is between those, other than price.

Personally, I stay with Colt and Check-Mate 7-round mags (6-round for the Officers). They've been doing the job for 100 years ... good enough for me.
Old October 25, 2012, 04:47 PM   #23
geetarman

^^^^^^^ I believe mine are 47s.

Was not aware of others. Guy at the Sportsmans Warehouse told me about them and I have not looked back.

Carpe Cerveza
Old October 25, 2012, 05:35 PM   #24
jimbob86

Mine are Wilson 47D's
Old October 25, 2012, 06:06 PM   #25
Red Dog

Springfield Armory mags from midway works for me @ 15.99