The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 21, 2012, 12:28 PM   #51
BGutzman

Separate but equal is not equal.... I guess there law professors and EO departments need some education on current laws.
Old September 13, 2012, 03:26 PM   #52
Glenn E. Meyer

Update on carry rules and situation.

http://www.denverpost.com/entertainm...comply-supreme
Old September 13, 2012, 07:32 PM   #53
jimpeel

Quote:
CU sent a letter to professors last month clarifying that employees must adhere to the new rules.

The letter came after Jerry Peterson, a physics professor and chairman of the Boulder Faculty Assembly, told the Camera that he will cancel class if he notices any students carrying guns.
Another hoplophobe who would rather cower and wait for armed men to come to rescue him rather than have someone take care of the situation immediately. He apparently fails to remember that during Columbine the police waited outside rather than enter the building while the carnage continued. In that time, a wounded teacher bled out.

The police aren't always there when you need them. He wouldn't be the first one to reach a busy signal when dialing 911.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old September 13, 2012, 07:44 PM   #54
TheSILENTtype

I'm not touching the Political side because there is nothing logical to touch.

However, I will say -- for first year students nervous about being in a new place, away from home for the first time or not overly socially graceful - this does create a common platform for all the young men and women in the dorm to socialize and build upon.

I am not in any way supporting this idea which comes accross to me at any rate as totally bizarre.. just trying to put a positive spin on what couldn't get much more violating.
Old September 13, 2012, 07:52 PM   #55
TheSILENTtype

Edit : I meant ' trying to put a new spin '

not ' trying to put a positive spin'.
Thats that Political jargan I was referring to in the first place, that I refuse to touch.
Old September 22, 2012, 04:31 PM   #56
Glenn E. Meyer

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/23/ed...es-unease.html

Basic argument is that a law-abiding student will suddenly go nuts over a class discussion and a grade. Bang, bang, bang - I disagree with your view of the relationship of quantum mechanics and general relativity.

No consideration of the non-law-abiding rampager killer showing up (who wouldn't care about the law) or defended yourself against crime.

Faculty would be scared to offer an opinion. Well, if you are a wussy old prof, why can't the disagreeing student just run up and give you a beat down?
Old September 22, 2012, 05:07 PM   #57
Rob228

I'm currently a student at CU Boulder (I've got 12 years USMC in my background, got accepted into a commissioning program where they send me to get a degree and I get to wear shiny stuff on my collar afterwards)

The university staff for the most part has expressed an extremely hostile attitude toward the idea of students CCW'ing citing the reason that "Debates in classrooms can get very heated". There has yet to be any kind of incident.
Old September 24, 2012, 12:35 PM   #58
Patriot86

Quote:
"Debates in classrooms can get very heated".
I love when I hear that...to anyones knowledge has debate in the classroom @ CU ever lead to any kind of assault with a deadly weapon? Somehow I doubt it...its thos whole mentality of anti gun types that a firearm somehow turns otherwise normal well adjusted individuals into mass killers waiting for a reason to strike.

In the la-la-land of anti-gun-ville if every gun was destroyed tomorrow there would be no crime, dogs and cats would live side by side and we would all agree to stop eating meat while we are at it.

Good luck with campus carry in Colorado; hopefully after a few years of no blood in the street/classroom Colorado can be called upon as yet another example of why campus carry works.
Old September 24, 2012, 09:24 PM   #59
Madcap_Magician

I would view this more as an opportunity to room with like-minded people in the safest dorm on campus.
Old September 28, 2012, 02:11 PM   #60
Glenn E. Meyer

Faculty want to overturn law - http://www.dailycamera.com/cu-news/c...gislation-that

What else is new?
Old October 8, 2012, 12:08 PM   #61
Rob228

Last week in the Campus newspaper there was an excellent article written by a 20 something year old (typing that made me feel old at 29, though not as old as I feel in some of my classes) female law student describing why she carried. It was very well written and highlighted the point that people carry for protection, not because they are a vigilante. The website for the paper is about a week behind in publishing its articles, but when they do get it up I'll post a link.
Old October 8, 2012, 12:11 PM   #62
Rob228

Just found it. This is the link to the above mentioned article:

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...rry-gun-campus
Old October 11, 2012, 08:27 AM   #63
Patriot86

Great article but....

Quote:
In her black, structured purse, Whitney reserves a compartment for her enclosed firearm so she doesn't need to fumble for it
Not only is she violating some serious OPSEC but she is also breaking Womens concealed carry rule #1...the first thing a mugger is going to go for is your purse.
Old October 15, 2012, 11:21 PM   #64
Rob228

Patriot86,

You do bring up a very good point. On the other hand, she took the hit for everyone on campus (about 1% of us) who believe that this is a right. She did open some eyes on campus to who exactly it is that carries and why it is that they do. I would honestly rather have her as the "face" of concealed carry on campus than just about anyone else.