The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old April 23, 2010, 11:29 AM   #1
DogoDon

Photo problems

Lately when I have tried to put photos into my posts, I am unable to view them, but from the comments received from others, I'm led to believe that other people can see them. Here's one post as an example of one for which the three photos show up as boxes with red X's in them:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...3&postcount=16

I should note that it seems this problem started when I started using a program called Picasa for shrinking the sizes of the photos.

So, my questions are: (1) can other people see the photos in the above post? (2) if so, why can't I see them (any reasonable guesses)? (3) if not, is the use of Picasa to blame?

Thanks!

DD
Old April 23, 2010, 02:21 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

No, I don't see the images, but for a good reason - they don't exist. I looked in your post and see that you linked to attachments that were evidently uploaded to TFL as attachmentid's 59187, 59188, and 59189. Those attachments no longer exist. Did you originally upload them to the thread in question or in some other thread.
Old April 23, 2010, 02:44 PM   #3
DogoDon

I uploaded them to the thread that included the post I cited. This is weird. I must be doing something wrong, but I swear I'm doing it the same way I've done before when it worked fine.

I'll do a test photo here and see if it works:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0787.JPG (75.2 KB, 89 views)
Old April 23, 2010, 02:49 PM   #4
DogoDon

It worked. But I did something slightly different from the post where it didn't work. Now I'll try it again the other way:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0789.JPG (28.0 KB, 85 views)
Old April 23, 2010, 02:51 PM   #5
DogoDon

Okay, so I don't think the difference in procedures I used is the reason for the failure in the cited post. I'm now inclined to think that it's something about the Picasa program that is messing things up. The photos I just uploaded didn't go through the Picasa program.

I'll have to investigate a little further.

Thanks for your help Mal H!

DD
Old April 23, 2010, 07:04 PM   #6
Mal H
Staff

I doubt (but not 100% doubt, mind you) that Picasa is causing the problem. If you uploaded attachments, about the only way for them to disappear is for you or a moderator to delete them. In other words, once they're here, an application elsewhere can't affect them.

Ah! I just checked and see something suspicious - hold on ...
Old April 23, 2010, 08:02 PM   #7
DogoDon

Mal, I edited the post in question, this time uploading photos from my "usual" computer. The first time I tried it, I was using another laptop. The post now shows the photos just fine. I used Picasa to size the photos this time, too.

Not sure how the different computer could affect things, but that really is the ONLY difference between the two postings.

Thanks for your help.

DD
Old April 23, 2010, 08:53 PM   #8
Mal H
Staff

Nope - I'm fairly certain that's not the solution to the puzzle. I'm still awaiting an answer from another moderator. Not sure at this point, but I think your attachments might have been accidentally deleted.
Old April 23, 2010, 10:59 PM   #9
Mal H
Staff

My hunch turned out to be a false alarm. So no one other than you could have deleted the original attachments. It will just have to remain a mystery, I suppose.
Old April 24, 2010, 07:50 AM   #10
DogoDon

Yep, I'm stumped. But thanks again for looking into it!

DD