The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 16, 2009, 10:18 PM   #26
Fat White Boy

I hunt for pigs in Central Coastal hills of Californa. I prefer them under 175 pounds or so...I keep the loins whole, the rest gets turned into sausage. The game processors in the area have terrific recipes for sausage. I usually mix some 20-30 % fat ground chuck... These links don't last long!!!
Old April 16, 2009, 10:44 PM   #27
impact

The next time I shoot a hog and clean it I will take a pic and show you the worm. It's no big deal as long you cook the hog
Old April 20, 2009, 12:01 PM   #28
bwheasler

Wild Boar Meatballs

Try This. Take a pound of ground boar, 2 eggs, and a 2 cups bread crumbs. Mix together with you favorites spices, add finely chopped onion,and a couple cloves of garlic. Roll into 1 to 2" balls and brown in a skillet. Put them an oven pan, cover with you favorite BBQ sauce,cover and bake in the oven @350 for about 15 to 20 minutes. Keep a stick handy to keep the riff raff at bay. Enjoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wildboar meatballs.jpg (156.2 KB, 27 views)
Old April 20, 2009, 04:25 PM   #29
25fan

keep'em cool

Chill them off as fast as possible. A dead hog will spoil very quickly. If you don't have access to a walk in cooler skin the hog and get in a cooler with ice. I am lucky enough to have a refrigerated trailer at work. I skin the hogs and let them hang for 24 hours. My butcher says hogs (even those that are chilled) should be processed and frozen around 24 hours from death. Since I have adopted this theory, I have not had any off-flavor pork. I will say that if you harvest the hog with dogs, I would recommend tying and placing in a pen for a while.
Old April 21, 2009, 01:17 PM   #30
eaglesnester

Hunten Hogs and are they good to eat?

Have never hunted hogs in North America. I have however hunted and eaten wild Asian Bore in Germany. All I can say about wild bore as table fare is (OUTSTANDING)
Old April 21, 2009, 02:03 PM   #31
publius

I have not found them to be gamey tasting but they are different from domestic pigs. I have killed many on my place in TX nad all have had very lean meat. easy to overcook and dry out. I have trouble cooking them b/c of this, take it off too soon and you have a problem, too late and it's ruined.
Old April 22, 2009, 06:52 AM   #32
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

On my ham recipe using the slits to hold the fat back chunks, I failed to mention I put upwards of 15-20 slits on a good size rear ham and 10-15 on a front ham.
It is for wild pork I bought a good mechanical (no trust in digitals nor their batteries) meat thermometer. As publius said over done is a very dry tuff piece of dog food.
Brent