The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 22, 2002, 07:56 PM   #1
Kentucky Rifle

Concealed Carry Clothier vest??

Has anyone purchased a vest from these people and are you happy with it? The vests have a built-in, hidden holster for the particular model pistol you carry. I like the looks of the vests, but I'd be more happy if some other people from The Firing Line had one and liked it.

KR
Old October 22, 2002, 10:02 PM   #2
Walosi

I got one of their summer variety a couple of years ago, and I guess I am sorta in the middle about it. I ordered Navy, and it turned out to be a lighter blue. It is boxy, and looked like the garb worn by ass't. managers at the Minit Mart. Still, I wore it until I started to get used to it, and around here you don't get style comments when you're over 60 The velcro-held holster works well with my J Frames, and the weight doesn't seem to "hang" the front of the vest too badly. The high-cut armholes conceal the straps of a shoulder rig completely as advertised. The only kind of belt carry has to be IWB, as it raises just enough in back to expose any OWB I have. The velcro closure on the front is a nice touch, since I use it often with either an Alessi Guardian shoulder rig, or his APX belly holster. Much faster than a snap, and it stays closed until you open it. While my first impression wasn't all that hot, it sort of grew on me. The inside pockets have one narrow division that is handy for a Mag Lite sized flashlight, and various other stuff, if you don't overdo it. The summer weight vest is light material, and you can overload it.
Old October 26, 2002, 10:50 AM   #3
Kentucky Rifle

Well, I ordered two...

One for my wife and a custom made one for myself. I got it two inches longer so it will cover a belt holster. Fairly expensive. I'll post my impressions when they get here. The owner assured me that neither vest would be "boxy". (Better NOT be!) The vests are made from "Taslan". Usually, I don't go for the man-made materials. I usually buy all cotton clothing because it's pretty much inflamable.
(Never know, in a plane, when THAT will come in handy.)

KR
Old October 26, 2002, 04:45 PM   #4
Walosi

KR -
Glad you came back on this one - I wasn't aware that they would do "custom" fits, and the inability of mine to cover OWB is the only gripe I really have. The wife thinks it looks "neat", and that I have the style consciousness of a moose, so maybe it isn't boxy. I do know that the lines, and the padded pockets, do a very good job of eliminating ANY signs of belly, crossdraw or shoulder rigs, and the high arm holes don't show any harnesses that I have. Their Taslan is finished so as to be nearly indistinguishable from cotton, and the workmanship on mine is top rate. I spent my last 20 years in the garment industry, and had QC techs as part of my operation - the meanest of these would have passed mine with gold stars.
Old October 26, 2002, 05:51 PM   #5
G3

I've got a tropical model. The vest is put together very well. Of course, you pay a high price for that quality. The material on the Tropical model retains heat too well, and is hot to wear in the summer. I'd get a cotton vest if I bought another one. The pockets are lined with heavy material that keeps the pistols from printing if in the pocket. The removable pockets work o.k., but I don't think they are neccessary. If you carry a fullsize gun (i.e. 5" 1911) in an owb holster, have a couple inches of length added to the vest.

The staff are great to deal with, and will go out of their way to help you out. CC are happy to customize the vest to your requests.

I really only use the vests for classes, going to the range, and IDPA. If you are under 40, you will look like an absolute DORK if you wear any vest except a fleece vest.
Old October 27, 2002, 12:41 PM   #6
Kentucky Rifle

Walosi & G3...

Walosi: Yeah, I know. My own wife makes comments like that. (Frequently) I got two extra inches of length spacifically to cover belt holsters. (I'm 6'3") I'm glad to hear that the "Taslan" is finished to look like cotton. (I didn't even know what Taslan was!) I'm also doubly glad that a "garment pro" like you speak's so highly of the quality. By the way--you DO have to pay a little more for the custom fit. But, that's been the norm. Oh, one more thing. The lady who makes them is going to put in a "wind flap". She explianed it was a velcro fastener that holds the front of the vest together even if you don't want to button it up completely.

G3: I passed "40" LONG ago. I'm also retired (since I was 48, and THAT seems like a long time ago, too) I don't worry too much about being called a "dork". As a matter of fact, at the market the other night, my own wife said I looked like a "dork". I said, "What are you talking about"? She said, "You have two different shoes on, you old fart"!
Hell, they WERE both brown!

Both of you: I ordered the "Double Action" model in dark charcoal gray for myself and a dark (I made sure) navy blue for my wife. The D-A model has the capability for the hidden pistol pocket to be on either side and has seven pockets. The "Womens Model" has nine (!) pockets. My wife and I travel a lot and she needed a vest like this. (Lotsa pockets!) The inner pockets are different sizes and have a zipper closure. One size is perfect for a passport and the other size is deeper and perfect for airline tickets.
Of course, the hidden holsters will be removed when we fly commercial. I don't want even the hint of evil. I've already had to undergo a strip-search in Zurich due to a forgotten coin pouch which I failed to remove before going through the metal detector.
"Concealled Carry Clothier" vests are a "little" less expensive than Tilly vests, but have more pockets and, of course, the hidden holster. I think I'll call back tomorrow and order an extra pocket for my Seecamp. J-frame on one side, Seecamp on the other, Glock 27 in a belt holster. Sound's about right. Don't you think?

KR
Old October 27, 2002, 01:22 PM   #7
Walosi

KR -
I got the extra holster,and carry a 640 on one side and a 649 on the other. Mine has a velcro closure for fast access, also, and unlike many, it is a tougher variety. Some, on the "loop" side, are too soft and tend to fray after a couple of hundred uses. If it should become a problem, velcro strips are available at variety stores and sewing shops,and they can be easily replaced. Enjoy - I think you got good stuff.
Old October 27, 2002, 04:39 PM   #8
Chugach

Do these folks have a Web site? I've seen their ads occasionally. Phone number?

Thanks...

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves." - Bertrand de Jouvenet
Old October 27, 2002, 05:58 PM   #9
Walosi

Chugach -
Their website is:

http://www.concealedcarry.com/

'Phone (from the label of a two-year-old vest) is 1-888-959-4500.