The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 9, 2014, 11:30 AM   #1
chevyhelm

red dot sights

ive been on the market for a relatively inexpensive red dot sight for an ar. of coarse, i would love to have a nice eotech or aimpoint military grade bombproof, nukeproof, everything proof, that has batteries that last a lifetime and it will hold zero after being dropped from a plane into a volcano. ive heard good things about the vortex sparc, any other ideas? my $ 75 truglo is a joke! looking in maybe the +/-$200 range?

Last edited by chevyhelm; July 9, 2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old July 9, 2014, 12:06 PM   #2
BarryLee

You may want to include a price range. I have an Aimpoint PRO which cost about $400 that has performed very well. It’s similar to the military type sites, but just not quite as rugged.

Oops, looks like you added a price range as I was composing my message. Sorry, I guess the Aimpoint Pro is out of your range hope someone else can help.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 9, 2014, 01:29 PM   #3
Glockstar .40

Everything you are asking for can be had in an aimpoint. I have the aimpoint PRO on my AR and although i havent dropped it in any volcanoes, It still holds up outstandingly well for what I put it through. My advice is if thats what you want in a red dot then save $200 more and get that. Go on youtube and check out the daniel defense torture test. they use an aimpoint pro on their victim

As far as under 200 i've heard the vortex strikefire is descent.
Old July 9, 2014, 01:40 PM   #4
JWT

Take a look at Primary Arms. Their sights are quite inexpensive. The Primary Arms red dot I have has been very good.... Especially for the price.
Old July 9, 2014, 03:35 PM   #5
spacemanspiff

Suggestion, take a part time job to save up the money for what you want. Don't settle for less than the best if the best is attainable.
Old July 9, 2014, 03:57 PM   #6
MarkCO

The Sparc has been working well for the guys I know who are using it, but it is still a bit new and the longterm durability has not been proven.

I have been using the Burris AR-1X for a while now and I can attest to the fact that it is bomb proof, has very good features, excellent optics and great illumination (red and green). It uses a AA battery, which I really like. Having an etched reticle, if the battery goes you still have the reticle. Mine is an engineering sample, and the production versions have a few minor changes.

I think that those two, eventually, are going to get a lot of praise and fans. But they are pretty new.

If new scares you, an Aimpoint Pro has been the go to for many years now.
Old July 13, 2014, 09:02 AM   #7
STEINER

Bushnell TS-25. 3 MOA. 3,000 hr battery life.
I use one for co-witnessing through my iron sights.
Under $100.
Very nice and durable.
Get a real accurate opinion from all the reviews on Amazon.