The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 8, 2014, 07:02 PM   #1
H20FOWL

Froglube the hunting rifle

Anyone Froglubed there hunting rifle like Weatherby Vanguard, model 700's etc. Does it work good or does it cause problems.
Old July 8, 2014, 07:53 PM   #2
redrick

I haven't tried it yet because I have to much other stuff right now . From everything that I have read it is at the top of the list for corrosion protection and lubricant . Also it is safe on camo and safer health wise .

Is your question more directed at the smell ?
Old July 9, 2014, 03:02 PM   #3
H20FOWL

my main concern is when it sweats when heated up
Old July 9, 2014, 03:24 PM   #4
Scorch

I see a lot of guns that have been frog-lubed. A few pros and cons:
* Pro- it makes the gun a lot easier to clean once it has been treated and heated.
* Pro- lubricates well, makes things really slick, like a lot of the "thin film" lubes.
* Pro- treated guns seem very rust-resistant, but no more than Weapon Shield or Eezox.
* Con- it smells like wintergreen oil, so it will make you stand out in the woods. I remember a lube back in the '70s that was made of banana oil, it worked well but you smelled like bananas.
* Con- when carbon from firing the gun mixes with the frog lube, it gels up and forms hard little goo balls that will eventually stop your gun.
* Con- treated guns sweat the frog lube out of the metal as they warm up.
* Con- really cold weather makes frog lube gel up.

All in all, frog lube isn't bad, but it isn't all it's cracked up to be. Proponents say it's non-toxic and you can eat it if you want to (I wouldn't). I am still undecided as to whether I like it or not. I prefer Militec-1, personally.
Old July 10, 2014, 02:04 PM   #5
Shadow9mm

Tried the paste, only really bad thing I found was that it can freeze solid. I tried it out and had heard of some cold weather isssues so i put a glob of hte paste in the freezer along with some other stuff (rem oil, weapon shield, break free CLP, eezox, and a couple others) and the frog lube was the only one to freeze solid. Frog lube recommends heating the metal and then applying, which causes the paste to melt on. I found that if you coat all metal parts and wipe off the excess it is too much frog lube, it tends to get places like the firing pin channel and trigger group parts, that it does not belong. this combined with the freezing issue could leave you with an inoperable gun if it gets cold it could completely lock the gun up. I have seen several videos on youtube with varying results, but there were several failures.
Old July 10, 2014, 03:31 PM   #6
redrick

Good to hear some of the cons of froglube . I have only heard the good . It looks like it might not be the best choice for a hunting rifle in very cold hunting conditions .

Nice thread .