The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 9, 2012, 03:55 PM   #1
vickiann

A question for peace of mind

Hello-I am new to the forum. I am a female over 60-nough said I am very new to the world of semi-auto pistols-but I find them fascinating and have ordered an SR9c which I will pick up tomorrow. I am taking instruction for CC here in my home state of DE. I have a very good reason for CC and don't think the judge will turn me down(DE is a discretionary state). My question is this: I have a Ruger sp101 with a 2.25 inch barrel that I can shoot with great comfort and accuracy. I have a Crimson Trace Laser on that-and I can shoot 125 gr. Golden Saber JH with no problem. I am seriously considering that as my CC option. My problem is that I fear if I had to shoot at multiple threats that I could not get off 5 shots because the trigger pull is so hard on that gun. I now think that carrying the SR9c is a better concealed option-because with multiple threats I could probably get 27 rounds shot before I could get 5 off from the SP101. I would love to hear your opinions on this.
Old September 9, 2012, 04:17 PM   #2
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I now think that carrying the SR9c is a better concealed option-because with multiple threats I could probably get 27 rounds shot before I could get 5 off from the SP101.
Clarification needed before commenting! 27 rounds???
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 9, 2012, 04:26 PM   #3
vickiann

Cheapshooter

I say that because I actually think I could reload with the the 17 cartridge magazine(thus 11+17) quicker than I could get off all 5 shots with the sp101-the sr9c has 2 magazines as you know-a 10 and a 17. I would carry the 17 with me. I may be very silly to think I could ever get to the point that I could reload the SR9C and get off 28 rounds faster than I could shoot 5 with the sp101. That is what I am wondering.
Old September 9, 2012, 04:28 PM   #4
ripnbst

Yeah, I am curious how you arrived at 27 rounds? You could dump an entire magazine and reload probably before you can get 5 off in the SP101. That said hits count, not rounds down the barrel. If you can hit better with the revolver then I say carry it until you get enough practice with the SR9c as it does bode as the better option here if you ask me. There are plenty of people who even today carry the 5 round wheel guns.
Old September 9, 2012, 04:29 PM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

It is true that some folks find that small autopistols are easier to shoot than small revolvers.

You would need to find a way to shoot the pistol you see as a candidate for replacing your SP101 so you could determine if it's a good fit for you. While the trigger pull will likely be more manageable, you may find other issues that are problematic.
Old September 9, 2012, 05:37 PM   #6
TX_QtPi

MHO, carry what you are most proficient with.
SRC9 is a striker fired pistol (not a true DA)
and the sp101 is a Hammer fired DA,
so the trigger pull is going to feel completely different.
I only mention that cause that's what you pointed out on the Sp,
but as it was said already it's not the number of shots fired but the number of impacted shot on target.

The thing about a CC weapon and actually having to use it experience Vs a Range or practice experience with any handgun is the factor of stray shots.

"know your target and what's behind it" Sure 27 rounds out the muzzle may sound better than 5 shots out the other but where those shots ended up is MORE IMPORTANT.

Being Accurate and knowing your weapon is key to any encounter with a gun. you should feel confident with which ever you pick, Good luck. hope the info helps.
Old September 9, 2012, 06:14 PM   #7
chris in va

I had an SP-101 for a while. It got to the point where I realized shooting 357's was beyond my ability to hit accurately, and 5 rounds of 38 didn't make sense compared to a few more 9mm in a smaller gun.

I currently have a Kahr K9 but seriously thinking about a CZ P-01 now. Double the capacity, just slightly larger.

However it's very easy to lighten up that hard DA pull on your SP.
Old September 9, 2012, 06:20 PM   #8
Cheapshooter

Accurate bullet placement is much more important than how many rounds you put down range. That is part of the problem with the innocent people being shot during some of these inner city gang shooting. An untrained person will just fire away, hoping to hit their target, but not caring who else gets shot!
I have no idea of your situation, but for personal self defense it is very unlikely that a barrage of gunfire is needed. Training, accuracy, and practice are much more valuable than scores of rounds carried for SD.
Old September 9, 2012, 06:40 PM   #9
chris in va

...except lately it has evolved into targets unfortunately. Thugs now realize the threat of a properly armed citizen and have backup.
Old September 9, 2012, 06:43 PM   #10
orionengnr

Can you quickly and repeatedly clear a malfunction with your semi-auto, without thinking about it?

If not, your assumption of 27 or 28 rounds may become two rounds...or one.

That is a concern that helps many people make up their minds.

Unfortunately, the mere presence of many available rounds seems to have a negative affect on some peoples' mindset...witness the recent NYPD shooting where approx 16 rounds were fired by two cops, and nine rounds hit innocent bystanders.

Not to say this should be a concern for you, but it is something to consider. IMHO, you should carry what you shoot well, and what you are very confident in...number of rounds notwithstanding.

My EDC is either an 8+1 1911 or a 6+0 revolver. I have owned pistols with nearly double that capacity, but I did not shoot them as well, or could not carry/conceal them as comfortably.

Best regards, Rich

Last edited by orionengnr; September 9, 2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old September 9, 2012, 06:58 PM   #11
TailGator

Vickiann, you are going to know after you take your new pistol to the range for the first time. An excessively heavy trigger relative to your hand strength can affect accuracy as well as time between shots. For a handgun to be an effective stopper, the shooter needs to be able to put multiple rounds on target fairly rapidly. If you feel like you are going to be more able to do that with your new pistol, you absolutely should make the switch.

Sorry to hear that you have to jump through such hoops as proving that a threat exists in order to adequately defend yourself, but I wish you well in that aspect as well as all aspects of what sounds like a difficult situation for you. Some folks here insist that their revolver will always be enough, but many opt for the higher capacity of a semi-auto.You know the risks you are facing, so arm yourself accordingly.

Wishing you all the best. Stay safe.
Old September 9, 2012, 06:58 PM   #12
vickiann

Thanks!

Thanks for all your helpful answers. I am taking training right now for a CC permit in my state. I am very confident and a pretty dead shot with the SP101-I have a crimson trace laser on that gun. I must say that learning to shoot a semi auto pistol will take time-since that is not something I have much practice with. I will carry the SP101 until I can shoot the SR9c as fast-as accurately and knowing how to quickly clear a jam. The truth is the revolver is pretty simple-and I will not carry the SR9c until I can safely do so.
Old September 9, 2012, 07:00 PM   #13
CWKahrFan

After some range time with your SR9c, you'll know... From what you've posted so far I'm figuring you'll probably prefer the SR9c for carry.
Old September 9, 2012, 08:58 PM   #14
stantheman1976

The 27 shots she's referring to is the 10 and 17 round mags that come with the SR9c. She's saying that with the trigger difference between the 2 pistols it would almost be quicker to fire both magazines than all shots on the SP101.

I don't own any large caliber revolvers but I do have the SR9c and it's a very good choice for a CCW. Recoil is very easy to handle. The 10 round mag with the extension makes it small enough to conceal easily but large enough for a normal sized hand to hold onto comfortably. With a good holster it will sit nicely at your side and no one will ever notice it.
Old September 9, 2012, 09:51 PM   #15
pete2

You will probably find the auto easier to shoot accurately than the revolver due to the lighter trigger pull. I shoot better rapid fire with my LC9 than I do the 642 revolver. Slow fire is about the same. More ammo doesn't necessarily mean anything. 17 misses don't beat one hit.
Old September 9, 2012, 11:05 PM   #16
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I am very confident and a pretty dead shot with the SP101-I have a crimson trace laser on that gun.
Do yourself a big favor. Learn to shoot without relying on something that contains batteries, and circuits. Although the CT is probably the best on the market, it is still an electronic devise that can fail. Learn to use the sights, and to shoot instinctively. It just might save your life some day.
The laser can be a great aid in learning though. It can tell you if you are jerking the trigger by watching the little dot jerk. It can also be used in dry fire practice. WITH THE GUN EMPTY, CHECKED, AND CHECKED AGAIN you can draw the gun to waist or mid chest height, and instinctively aim at a target. Then push the button to see if you are properly on target.
Old September 10, 2012, 12:17 AM   #17
scrubcedar

I'm surprised no one else thought to say this. Have you looked into what it would take to lighten/smooth the trigger on the sp101? If you already hit well with the revolver that's no small thing, accuracy and confidence could arguably be the most important things in a ccw.
Old September 10, 2012, 07:48 AM   #18
Skans

If long or heavy trigger pull is an issue, then you need to consider going to a different format, like a true single-action-only, or double-action/single action. A good example of a true single-action-only pistol .380 that is very small is the Colt Mustang. There are some small 9mm's in sa only, but none nearly as small as the Colt Mustang. STI makes a very slim SA only, called the STI LS9.
Old September 10, 2012, 07:56 AM   #19
BGutzman

Also keep in mind the typical self defense situation involves the defender firing no more than two rounds... Not that its not nice to not have a better trigger.. Poor trigger leads to all sots of shooting problems and under stress those problems only get worse... Maybe check out a Bersa Thunder or something similar... Springfield XD also offers some nice pistols for the money.
Old September 10, 2012, 01:16 PM   #20
BigJimP

Tactics are an issue better left to you and your instructor.../ and a lot of range time.

Picking a CCW platform ...is another issue / and while you've already purchased a semi-auto / I'd really suggest you look at some other platforms...like some single stack options ( Sig 239, a 1911 in 9mm, etc...) and weigh them against the option you've chosen ...

We all have issues with hand strength, arthritis, vision, etc....and I'm in my 60's as well ...and it depends on what platform fits your hands the best, the grip angle, the trigger - how it breaks, resets, etc....are all really big deals.