The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 25, 2009, 11:50 PM   #1
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

Roo shooting (graphic photo)

G'day. I got invited Roo shooting yesterday. All I needed to take was my good looks and great personality. I went with a guy that does this most weekends. He sells the Roo and needs about 150 kg to cover costs depending on the distance traveled.

It just happened to be my 19th wedding anniversary and I had the phone call about 1 hour before he was ready to go. My darling wife allowed me to go, saying that the outing could be my present. She said I couldn't get any luckier!

He was using a .223 with Sierra 55gr SBT Game king. He prefers to use Blitz king style. I used his rifle & had a total of 6 shots at 5 Roos & missed the same Roo twice. Total 20 shots fired & 14 kills. Talk about DRT! It is very difficult to see a 4 foot Roo in 5 foot grass!

Old April 26, 2009, 12:02 AM   #2
butta9999

Only 14 roos skulls were there not many around. Or like you said just too hard to see.

What species were they Eastern grey's or the big red buggers.

Those gamekings make a good mess of the heads.

I used to use the 55gr blitz king in my .222, they were quite good.
Old April 26, 2009, 12:42 AM   #3
Telgriff

What range roughly was the shot on the roo pictured taken at?
Were they handloads or factory?

Last edited by Telgriff; April 26, 2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old April 26, 2009, 02:21 AM   #4
princess-bluey

Sculls says there were a couple of reds amongst them. The largest one was 50kg. The head shot shown, he's guessing it was about 80 metres. Hand loads using Benchmark (BM2). It just seemed to be a quiet night.
Old April 26, 2009, 06:31 AM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
sar·casm
Pronunciation:
\ˈsär-ˌka-zəm\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
French or Late Latin; French sarcasme, from Late Latin sarcasmos, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer, from sark-, sarx flesh; probably akin to Avestan thwarəs- to cut
Date:

1: a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain2 a: a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b: the use or language of sarcasm
You mean person! How dare you shoot them innocent cute little critters? Can't you just find food in the store
So how does 'roo taste anyway?
HEADSHOTS... SAVING THE MEAT ONE OUNCE AT A TIME!!!
Brent
Old April 26, 2009, 03:45 PM   #6
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. The dog and cat don't like being Vegan. I saw in a shop yesterday that Roo mince for pet food was $5.10 kg ($2.32 lb). The term used for Roo shooting is, Wild Game Harvesting.
At least the Roos don't go through the stress of being herded up and trucked around the country.

hogdogs. Thanks for the definition
Old April 26, 2009, 10:47 PM   #7
FrontSight

That is just an incredible amount of damage!! I know I am living in a cave with such limited knowledge, but I honestly had no idea .223 was capable of such devastation, wow
Old April 26, 2009, 10:59 PM   #8
Jason_G

Quote:
So how does 'roo taste anyway?
The one time I had it, it was pretty good. It reminded me of veal, but not as tender. It was probably farm raised though (ifn' they raise those things ), as it had absolutely no gaminess to it at all. I had it at a restaurant once. They cooked it with wild strawberries and black peppercorns in a bourbon sauce. I'd have rather had a big-a ribeye, but it wasn't too shabby. I'd eat it again.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old April 27, 2009, 12:11 AM   #9
cornbush

Nice, you do have to love a good head shot. Night, Night
Old April 27, 2009, 12:44 AM   #10
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...I honestly had no idea .223 was capable of such devastation, wow
One thing that usually gets left out in the regular rants about the ineffective .223/5.56 NATO is that it impressed the Russians during Vietnam so much that they immediately set about building their own version of it.
Old April 27, 2009, 02:20 AM   #11
butta9999

Thanks for the info Mrs skulls......

There aint much to a roo's head it's like a big rabbit's head. But yes the .223 is a fine cartridge.
Old April 27, 2009, 05:31 AM   #12
phil mcwilliam

Kangaroos are protected in Australia & cant actually be legally shot without being issued with tags. That said, the government via National Parks & Wildlife issues over 3 million tags per year. I know a few professional roo shooters & 223 is the weapon of choice. All roos shot for human consumption & the pet food industry must be head shot to be accepted at the coolroom chillers that operate in outback towns. Each roo when field dressed must also be of a minimum weight(20 kg?) to be accepted. The pro-shooters get paid just under $20 per roo on average. The 3 million plus roos that are culled every year in Australia is considered a sustainable resource.