The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 7, 2007, 09:17 PM   #1
win357

paper targets...

I was wondering if I were to print paper targets such as these, http://www.remington.com/library/dow...er_targets.asp ... what type of paper should i use to print them? would any regular old paper do just fine? Also, would scotch tape or double sided tape be enough to hold it up against a target?? Should i tape it to a piece of cardboard and would a range allow that? thanks
Old June 7, 2007, 09:25 PM   #2
jdm357

when I print out targets to shoot with my Taurus 605 (2.25" .357) I usually staple it to big boxes. With .357 rounds, it doesn't hold up very long, although some will stay. I just use regular print/copy paper, and a stapler "opened up" so it will staple directly into the box through the paper. I'm sure there's better, more permanent/solid ways of doing this, but with my post-shooting "ritual", I just burn up the boxes and paper (after they've been shot too much to be any good) in the fire pit down where I shoot, so I don't put too much effort into assembling these targets.

Although, I don't go to ranges, or rather, have never been; I shoot in the woods, so I'm not sure if a range would allow it.
Old June 7, 2007, 10:31 PM   #3
Bruxley

On cardboard........ranges here are ok w/ it............use masking tape not scotch tape or double sided, run along the edges the full length (will hold up from impact and wind).

On a side note, Set up target near heights of a human chest and head. If your going to use 8 1/2 X 11 copy/ print paper, just print up some targets. Silhouettes that small are all but useless. The good 'ole 4" ring is just right. That 4" circle at the head and heart are drop zones.
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Old June 8, 2007, 12:05 AM   #4
Thunderhawk88

Once you print it, take it to a Staples, Office Max, or other store with a copy center, and make copies of it. It's alot cheaper than using your printer for more.
Old June 21, 2007, 11:59 PM   #5
Night Watch
Registration in progress

I just go to Shop-Rite and buy a stack of their paper picnic plates. Then, I either color in a small circle in the center with a magic marker, or I put a dot from a large pack I bought at Staples in the center of the plate.

Works great!

PS: Works even better over the center of a standard IDPA silhouette!
Old June 22, 2007, 12:05 AM   #6
Southern_guy

I usually shoot empty coke cans. If you can learn to consistantly hit one of those, then a head or chest shot will be easy.I still only have abou 25% accuracy with them, however, so I hope I can improve.
Old June 22, 2007, 08:17 PM   #7
Black Adder LXX

I keep folders of different targets all copied on copy paper in my bag. All the ranges we have down here have cardboard pre-cut to size and staplers to attach.
Old June 22, 2007, 09:36 PM   #8
RonC

I buy extra heavy weight paper (normal bond is 20#, I get 25 or 28#) from an office supply store and print on that. They stay on the backing at the range using staples at one range and masking tape at another.

Ron
Old June 22, 2007, 09:56 PM   #9
win357

I work for fedex at the moment and I get a serious employee discount at kinko's. So I will definitely be printing some soon with some heavier paper. Any particular schemes that make it easy to get instant feedback on shots fired? At the range it's somewhat difficult to pick up where your shot was on a black target.
Old June 23, 2007, 09:33 AM   #10
RonC

Some folks don't like the orange on white background colored targets, feeling the bright color to be a distraction. I like them because I can see the holes. In fact, I was able to make out the keyholing that occurred with one particular gun-ammo combination.
Sometimes I use the black on white targets, but I can't make out the holes as well. I'm fortunate enough to have a color printer so I print out 15 at a time at home.

Shoot safe and well,
Ron
Old June 23, 2007, 09:36 AM   #11
RonC

I've collected quite a load of various targets from the net. Email me at my home email (should be available under my profile) and I will send you a batch of them.

Ron
Old October 1, 2008, 01:04 AM   #12
James Kain

Google

I know the thread is old, but I thought I d pop in. I have Googled the topic before I ran accost this thread. But I found when I m at the range I double the amount I intend on paper shoot for zero and load testing. I also like to test my marksmen ship with games with my friends. I will enclosed a few links of places I v gotten free paper targets to print. I just went and printed off a half inch stalk of different targets and load data sheets.

http://www.6mmbr.com/targets.html

http://www.ray-vin.com/tech/targetlist.htm

http://www.mytargets.com/

I have some railroad tie plates and spray painted a orange dot in the middle. Until I can rig something better I prop them on smaller bit of rail then the plate. Its shocking to see what happens.Always remember to angle (80* or lower in my opinion) the iron so as not to come back to you or put on a swinger. Remember its always best to use lead when shooting metal targets. Anything else may result in possible bodily injury. So always take extra care.

ENJOY AND BE SAFE.....(says the guy who shoots at steal/iron!)
Old October 1, 2008, 04:31 AM   #13
vytoland

Hey, Jame K

Thanks for posting the target web sites. This will save me some money when I go pracice at the range. With the cost of everything going up, it is nice to be able to get something at a discount once in a while.
Old October 1, 2008, 05:46 AM   #14
alloy

thumbtacks work. regular printer paper works well, especially since the price is right.

i drew myself up a few in "paint" now i got a target overload.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ssss.JPG (38.8 KB, 50 views)
Old October 1, 2008, 09:35 AM   #15
James Kain

Rain

Hey the only bad thing to these are the rain. I woke this morning thinking I was going to go get some trigger time in. I probably will, but its eeffing raining. With these print outs the ink will run off of them like you wouldn't believe! But I will bring the too and see what happens.

YES THUMB TACKS! I was thinking about that after I posted. There are usly thumb tacks at the range and will sometimes disappear when dropped or shot.

One target I printed was "know your limits -50 yards prone" it has a bunch of dots and circles. Each one is worth so many points. I also got a few to test my loads and data sheets. But when friends are kicking around I have a few to challenge them. loser usly buys lunch. (I don't buy lunch much on shooting days with my friends) Unless there broke