The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 2, 2007, 10:01 PM   #1
fordf150

Mossberg Silver Reserve 12g

I just recently purchased a Mossberg Silver Reserve 12g and boy did it kick when I shot it. I want to buy a recoil pad and I can't decide between the Kick-eez and Limbsaver. I would like to buy one that is already sized to fit. I'm not too sure what size I would need?
Old September 3, 2007, 07:25 PM   #2
MEDDAC19

Have you given any thought about a slip on one? At least you have a pad until you can decide which you want. Why the trouble picking one or the other?
Old September 3, 2007, 07:40 PM   #3
dalegribble

I don't know about O/U's but I have a 12 ga coach gun that kicks like Chuck Norris on steroids. It kicks much worse than my pumps or semi auto"s. I wonder if it is just a charactoristic of double barel shotguns?
Old September 3, 2007, 08:15 PM   #4
wolverine350

The Limb Savers are the best pads but don't know if they make a exact fit for the silver reserve or not, might check their web site
Thompson Center Encore 243
Old September 4, 2007, 02:25 PM   #5
Smitty in CT

What type of shells were you using??

I have used 2-3/4" Federal 1oz 1350fps shells for sporting clays, 100 targets in about 2 - 2-1/2" hours in a polo shirt, no problems.

"Gun Fit" also has a lot to do with felt recoil, if you are not shouldering the gun properly, it might beat you up. Have someone wattch you for a few shots and see if they can detect a problem with yout form.

In addition to the recoil pad, you can add weight to the stock and that will help.

Good Luck!!

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton