The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 30, 2007, 12:11 AM   #1
GATMOG

My New Mossy (PICS)

Hello all, my name is Joseph...and I *was* a lurker of the shotgun forum..

But thanks to all your contributions I am now a proud, proud owner of a Mossberg 500 Persuader. I bought the combo pack for 250$ at Big 5 Sporting goods. It came with a 20" bbl and a 26" bbl; both smoothbore..

I originally wanted a remy cause they look better in pics (my oppinion) however, now that I have my mossy, I could care less..

I'm a huge newbie, but what can I use the 26" smoothy for? I thought 26's were threaded for chokes? Or maybe I just didnt see threads?

Anyways theres a goblin lurking the neighborhood and one cant be too safe nowadays..

I preferred the 20" to the 18"

Anyways, everyone loves pics!

-Joseph

Old August 30, 2007, 12:56 AM   #2
RevolverLover

Quote:
I'm a huge newbie, but what can I use the 26" smoothy for? I thought 26's were threaded for chokes? Or maybe I just didnt see threads?
The 26" barrel can be used for the various clay games and hunting. I don't know if its threaded for choke or not but you will easly be able to tell if it has threading at the end of the muzzle.

"One test = 1,000 expert opinions." -Art Eatman
Old August 30, 2007, 02:49 AM   #3
GATMOG

got it! upon further inspection of the box, its a 28" modified choke barrel--fixed tube (idk the propper terminology) but its a tapered barrel and not threaded..
Old August 30, 2007, 12:12 PM   #4
What Just Happened?

Oooohh. That's the shotty that I'm looking at too. Gonna put a pistol grip on that bad boy?
Old August 30, 2007, 01:02 PM   #5
djturnz

Now you need Mossberg ghost ring sights. They are on the Mossberg website for about $60
Old August 30, 2007, 08:32 PM   #6
GATMOG

im not gonna modify it just yet--but what i will do is put a few boxes down range and see what needs to change

the only mod i have on it are an allen slip on sidesaddle holding 5 shells of #4 shot (i fear overpenetration)
Old August 31, 2007, 12:34 AM   #7
RevolverLover

Quote:
im not gonna modify it just yet--but what i will do is put a few boxes down range and see what needs to change
Good...now go put some wear marks on the action bars.

"One test = 1,000 expert opinions." -Art Eatman
Old September 1, 2007, 01:22 AM   #8
GATMOG

man this thing kicks like a mule! i'm new to firearms, and this is my first centerfire--that is my excuse to complain =-]

i think next time i'll toss some snap caps in the magazine with live rounds to make see if im developing a flinch..

it needs a sling! other than that, i'm quite happy with my setup

while i'm all up for the tacticool stuff, i think my (new) good old shotgun looks (imho) best as a good ol' shotgun..so itll be a while until i change any furniture on it.

is it just me? or is aiming with a bead going to take some getting used to when you usually use open sights and ghost rings?
Old September 1, 2007, 01:43 PM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

For starters, use light loads. The increasingly popular 7/8 oz loads are great for not just beginners. Little kick.

Stick the long barrel on and go shot some trap doubles. This will help you learn to operate your new pump in short time frame scenarios and fast target acquisition.

And have fun.....