The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 16, 2018, 12:00 AM   #1
Cossack

Advice on 1st Flintlock purchase?

I've got the muzzleloader bug, and it's gotta be a flintlock. It also has to be a long rifle or other full stock design. Any recommendations on a good value? I'd use it for hunting (mostly deer), targets, and general powder burning.

I've been eyeballing the Pedersoli line, particularly the "Frontier," which is sold by Cabela's as the "Blue Ridge" for $650 (with free shipping at the moment). I like the lines, the long barrel, and the reviews I've read. I've also been eyeing the Tennesee Valley Muzzleloading "Poor Boy" Tennessee Rifle, which is over $400 more. If I can explore this project for less money, I'll prefer to, but I don't want to buy a gun that will just frustrate me (or an ugly gun ).

I'm not ruling out a kit build, but I'd feel better cutting my teeth on a gun that's already built. I also love smoothbore guns, like military muskets and the Fusil de Chasse, but I think it would be prudent to start hunting with a rifle and become proficient before I challenge myself with a smoothbore.

The only percussion guns I might consider are European Military styles like the 53 Enfield, but I'm really much more interested in a flintlock. Montana doesn't have a Muzzleloader season, so the only real incentive for me is the connection to history, so even though other muzzleloader designs might be more efficient, I'm not really interested. I want it old fashioned and purty. American Long Rifles, military style rifled muskets, trade guns...

So with that in mind, can anyone offer recommendations? What are good options for a reliable, attractive flinter with a full length wooden stock and a reasonably authentic historical aesthetic and function? What do I need to know about and keep in mind?

Don't worry - I won't hunt with anything that I haven't learned and practiced to proficiency.
Old April 16, 2018, 03:43 AM   #2
l.cutler

The only off the shelf manufacturer I would recommend for a long rifle would be the Pedersoli, but if you can afford the extra money the TVM would be worth it. The heart of a flintlock is the lock, and you must have a good one. The TVM uses Chambers locks which are the cream of the crop. Another option would be a kit by Jim Kibler, they are the easiest kit to do and would be the most historically accurate of the choices.
Old April 16, 2018, 10:24 AM   #3
Pahoo

Lots of great choices

Quote:
I've been eyeballing the Pedersoli line, particularly the "Frontier," which is sold by Cabela's as the "Blue Ridge" for $650 (with free shipping at the moment).
Good option and I have owned three of these. Take a second look at the wrist area as I feel they are undersized and it is barrel heavy. Quality and workmanship is outstanding. Pedersoli is worth the money.

Quote:
a reasonably authentic historical aesthetic and function?
To some degree, that is always a problem but not with a custom made flinter and they are very expensive.

Might I suggest the Pedersoli Scout? Might not be to your liking but it a full-stock and handier to work with.

Be Safe !!!
Old April 16, 2018, 11:16 AM   #4
Wyosmith

Good for you. Flintlocks are addictive (in a good way)
LOTS of fun to shoot and hunt with

I earn about 85% of my living making them soI know quite a lot about them.
If you have questions or just want to talk about them, feel free to contact me.
Old April 16, 2018, 11:18 AM   #5
T. O'Heir

Buy a copy of Lyman's BP Handbook and Reloading Guide first. You'll have to decide on shooting a Minie bullet or a ball. Requires a different rifling twist.
And decide on a budget. BP firearms vary a lot in retail price. Despite being made in the same place for the most part.
"...authentic historical..." Most of 'em are close but are not what would be considered a replica.
Old April 16, 2018, 11:23 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Another vote for the James Kibler kit.
Old April 16, 2018, 11:42 AM   #7
Lee44ShooterCnB

https://www.jimkibler.net

https://kiblerslongrifles.com
Old April 16, 2018, 07:31 PM   #8
Hawg

I would say if you have some extra money and don't mind a wait get Wyosmith to build you one. Otherwise go with Pedersoli
Old April 17, 2018, 08:27 AM   #9
fourbore

I am not overly impressed with Pedersoli. The guns all looks good from the distance but up close and once owned for a while the quality is not there. If you break something, prepare to be raped on the parts. They are ok and must provide cabelas a good mark up. Little stuff like springs can be a problem or big things. Generally none of the Pedersoli are very authentic. As you learn more it can be rather disappointing. I owned upwards of 6 guns now and in long run they all fell short of the mark for me. I still own 3 Pedersoli, so; take the negative in that context. They are not all that bad and some product are unique in the market place.

I suggest a Lyman for reasonable authentic and QUALITY. Let me say again QUALITY. In a 54 you would use a round ball for deer, big bore. You can go 50 and a ball. The 50, IMHO is ideal. The sights maybe a bit of a compromise. I believe they maybe all slow twist for patched balls.

https://www.gun-tests.com/gunreport_detail/8534.html

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...32-barrel-blue

Round balls and real black powder in a flintlock - you the man.

Last edited by fourbore; April 17, 2018 at 08:32 AM.
Old April 17, 2018, 10:29 AM   #10
Pahoo

Walking the M/L path with practical feet.

Quote:
I suggest a Lyman for reasonable authentic and QUALITY.
That's all well and good but the OP is looking at a full-stock and at this time, Lyman doesn't make one. I have a Lyman Trade Flinter that gives good performance. .......

Quote:
Generally none of the Pedersoli are very authentic.
I keep reading this and have to admit that authenticity train left a long time ago. If being authentic is all that important, then a custom rifle is in order. be prepared to pay $1000.00 + for that and only you will be impressed. I have been fortunate enough to have held two original Hawkins, by Sam and Jake. and both weighed over 10-lbs. ........

Be Safe !!!
Old April 17, 2018, 06:00 PM   #11
Hawg

Pedersoli is a lot closer to authentic than Lyman tho neither one is truly authentic.