The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 2, 2019, 12:36 PM   #1
LineStretcher

Weatherby Mark V .308 TRR

Most are not familiar with this rifle and the back story on it is foggy to say the least. The one I just bought is from the first production run between 2002 and 2004.

My back story is that I was in a nearby town where a Liquor/Sporting Goods store is located. I've bought a few rifles and handguns from them and am on a first name basis with the owner. I was browsing the rifle section and I see this Weatherby. I know Kevin (Owner) doesn't normally carry any Weatherby's so I ask to see it. It's a Mark V .308 with a really heavy barrel.

Anyway, it has been there for some time and Kevin was willing to part with it at his cost. The rifle was new in box but had been sitting for so long that the grease that it was shipped with had all dried out and solidified. Not very becoming for a Weatherby. Weil, I couldn't resist so I bought it.

According to an old article in some obscure e magazine, the rifle was first produced with law enforcement as the target audience. The name Tactical Response Rifle (TRR) reflects that. It was first introduced as a .223 or .308 in 2002 as a Mark V with a standard caliber 6 lug bolt. Production ended somewhere around 2004. In 2009 or thereabouts it was reintroduced as both Mark V and Vanguard models with several calibers available including the famed Weatherby Magnums. I guess sales didn't go as planned so it was refashioned (stock changed) and now it can be found in its evolved form as the TacMark rifles.

The first order of business, because it's 14-15 years old and never fired, was to tear it down to and check it from top to bottom. There was a lot of staining from the grease but that cleaned up nicely and normal clearances returned. The axis from bolt face to chamber to barrel was perfect and I only needed to take .0005 off the bolt face which was just enough to take the paint off and remove the fine tool marks.

After a thorough cleaning the rifle was reassembled. The trigger seems fine at this point but I adjusted it from 4lbs down to 2.5 lbs. It's crisp and clean with zero take up and a comfortable follow.

I have a good supply of scope bases and Picatinny rails for Mark V's and Vanguards so I figured I was good in that dept. NOT... Neither of those will fit the TRR. One, the distance between the mounting holes is different and the radius of the front of the receiver is sharper. Research say's that Talley made the original custom rings but they don't seem to be offering them now. Night Force does make them but they are in a back order status. I did find one so I ordered it. It is a 20moa rail but I'm putting my Schmidt and Bender PMII on it so I don't need it. Near will make them on demand and so will EGW but the price goes up significantly. I haven't shot the rifle yet so I'm not willing to throw more money at it then I have to at this point. The Night Force can be shimmed and then bedded to bring it back to 0 MOA.

The barrel is 22" in Weatherby's #4 contour. It would be a #5 Bull in most standard contours. The barrel is made by Criterion when they were still a subsidiary of FN. It' has a 1-12 twist rate which tells me it probably won't do well on my favorite 200g Hornady ELD-M bullets. I'm going to break it in with those because I have a bunch of them in Lapua brass at starting loads and that's going to give me my fire formed brass. I think a 185g will be better.

Here's a pic of the rifle fresh out of the box. I'll be jeweling the bolt this week while I wait for the rail to arrive.

The Stock, may be a McMillan, it sure looks like one and is a full aluminum chassis wrapped in glass and formed with the classic Weatherby raised comb and monte carlo cheek rest. The aluminum runs all the way to the forend and it is bedded and shimmed in typical early McMillan manner. The recoil lug is not bedded with fillers but there is zero movement so I may just leave it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mark V TRR -Small.jpg (167.7 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by LineStretcher; January 2, 2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old January 2, 2019, 04:24 PM   #2
std7mag

Well, we'll just have to wait and see what Weatherby says about my job application in Sheridan, WY.
Maybe we can scrounge some original rings for ya.

Nice looking rifle there Linestretcher!

I thought they had a more vertical wrist on the stock. Looks more like a bench rest version of the standard Weatherby stock.

And yes, i'm ready to move from PA to WY. I did actually put my application in.

I'm going to miss my Savages, and Rugers...

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old January 2, 2019, 05:03 PM   #3
jmr40

McMillan doesn't use an aluminum chassis in their stocks. I'm guessing B&C or HS-Precision. Either way it should be a good stock. Nice looking rifle. Let us know how it shoots.

Winston Churchill
Old January 2, 2019, 11:22 PM   #4
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag View Post
Well, we'll just have to wait and see what Weatherby says about my job application in Sheridan, WY.

Maybe we can scrounge some original rings for ya.

Nice looking rifle there Linestretcher!

I thought they had a more vertical wrist on the stock. Looks more like a bench rest version of the standard Weatherby stock.

And yes, i'm ready to move from PA to WY. I did actually put my application in.

I'm going to miss my Savages, and Rugers...
I'd move there myself but I feel pretty lucky to live where I do. I've got a BLM playground in my back yard and nobody bothers me. I'm a high desert hunter and I love it.
Old January 2, 2019, 11:24 PM   #5
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40 View Post
McMillan doesn't use an aluminum chassis in their stocks. I'm guessing B&C or HS-Precision. Either way it should be a good stock. Nice looking rifle. Let us know how it shoots.
Could be a B&C hard to say for sure. I was trying to put time lines together. From what I can tell, I think B&C is correct. It does have the aluminum bedding all the way to the forearm. I drilled and tapped a second sling mount for my bipod rail.

Last edited by LineStretcher; January 3, 2019 at 01:33 AM.
Old January 3, 2019, 05:15 AM   #6
std7mag

According to the Shooter's Bible, 102nd edition it just says hand laminated stock.
Although it does specify the Krieger #3 contour barrel.

So, by hand laminated, would that mean in house at Weatherby?

Old January 3, 2019, 07:57 PM   #7
LineStretcher

Quote:
According to the Shooter's Bible, 102nd edition it just says hand laminated stock.
Although it does specify the Krieger #3 contour barrel.

So, by hand laminated, would that mean in house at Weatherby?
B&C and McMillan are both hand laminated. Weatherby outsources their stocks and does the final fitting in house so it's hard to say who's actually making the stocks. The wood stocks are made by Cali'Co in Santa Rosa, Ca. In the case of this rifle it was final fitted at Atascadero, Ca. This barrel is actually a Criterion when they were a subsidiary of FN the current versions are Krieger. The contours are Weatherby's. They have 3, 1 is a hunting barrel but not currently in production. 2 is the current production hunting barrel and 3 is the H-Bar (Heavy Barrel). This barrel is an early H-Bar with a diameter at the muzzel of .850.
Old January 10, 2019, 10:58 PM   #8
LineStretcher

The Talley rail came in today, they had it in stock but didn't list it on their website. I cleaned up the bedding job and added a little where it was needed and then put the rail on, lapped the rings and mounted the scope. It's dialed in and ready for the range.

I put a Vortex PST 5-25 on it. The rings are Seekins. Vortex PST scope tubes are exactly 30mm so you have to lap the rings or the scope will not fit properly. I found this problem with Warne and Leupold rings also. All my other scopes are just slightly under stated tube diameter. I kind of like that Vortex does this. It forces you to lap your rings and you end up with a perfect fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRR Scoped1.jpg (227.9 KB, 19 views)
Old January 12, 2019, 04:02 PM   #9
std7mag

Do Vortex rings require the same?

I've been waiting on a range report... Lol

Old January 12, 2019, 08:45 PM   #10
LineStretcher

Quote:
Do Vortex rings require the same?

I've been waiting on a range report... Lol
I don't know if they do or not. I'm a big fan of Seekins.

I took it out today and sighted it in. I shot 10 rounds of starting loaded 200g ELDX and it was pretty clear it didn't like them all that much. The 1-12 twist is the culprit I'm sure so I'll go get some 150g Remington Core-Lokt and try those. It shot MOA no problem but there were a few flyers. I shot the same loads out of my Vanguard .308 that I blue printed and is fully bedded/free floated in a Boyds At-One stock. It never shot a group over 1/2 MOA and several hole in hole. It's a 1-10 twist and does great with the heavy bullets.
Old January 13, 2019, 11:41 AM   #11
std7mag

With the 1:12 twist you may max out stability wise with the 168gr bullets.

You might want to see if you can pick up some of Sierra's 155gr Palma bullets. Not too bad BC for the weight.

Old January 13, 2019, 04:47 PM   #12
LineStretcher

I agree, 165-170 is about max for a 1 in 12. I have a broad assortment of .308 bullets. I'm sure I have something in the 160-170 range. I'll go out and shoot what ever it takes of these 200's to get 50 fire formed pieces of brass and then I'll load those with something lighter.
Old January 13, 2019, 07:14 PM   #13
std7mag

Or save them for your 300 Weatherby...

Going out on a limb here, thinking if anyone here had one, it would be you. Lol

Old January 13, 2019, 08:32 PM   #14
LineStretcher

LOL, yes, I actually have two 300's and a 30-378. I keep those as hunting rifles so I don't go through a lot of ammo. 200's in the 30-378 and 185's in the 300's. Weatherby's are addicting, once you own one you'll want another and another and another.
Old January 13, 2019, 08:45 PM   #15
std7mag

Greaaatttt.....
Now you have me rethinking wanting one of those used Mark V in 257 WM.

Old January 13, 2019, 08:53 PM   #16
LineStretcher

The .257 (yes, I have one, LOL) is kick butt.. Smokes the 6.5-300 (yes, I have one) in muzzle velocity but the 6.5 can launch a heavier bullet so it's an energy thing. I was telling my buddy how fast the .257 was so the next time I was at the range he told me to prove it and shoot his 3/8 AR500 Steel plate. I did and although it didn't go all the way through it put a big old bulge in the back side.

I love my .257 and I'm glad I have it but if I only had two Weatherby hunting rifles and wanted to hunt Antelope, Sheep, Deer, Elk and Moose. The choices would be the 6.5-300 and the 30-378.