The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 12, 2018, 06:16 PM   #1
USAF Ret

HOWA 1500 Long Range

So, a little over a year back I got a great deal on a HOWA 1500 Heavy barrel. It came with the standard Hogue stock and a Nikko Sterling 4-16 power scope. I have shot it just to set the scope and break in the barrel. I would like to make some budgeted upgrades and take it to a class they teach locally on long range shooting. They teach basics to shoot to 1,000 yds.

The only upgrade I have done is a muzzle brake. I am recoil sensitive due to shoulder injuries I got in the military. Also, eye sight is not as good as it used to be (bad combo for shooting).

First I am thinking is glass and a stock. Just can't break the bank.

Thanks.
Old December 12, 2018, 06:30 PM   #2
Longshot4

I'm not sure what you are saying. Is it glass (optics)?

What ammo are you using?
Old December 12, 2018, 06:36 PM   #3
USAF Ret

Affirm, optics. I am using 150 grain right now, but they are suggesting 175 grain for the course. BTHP or match grade.
Old December 12, 2018, 07:47 PM   #4
rickmelear

My suggestion on glass, call Doug at Cameralandny.com and tell him what your have and what your thinking. He’ll hook you up
Old December 12, 2018, 07:48 PM   #5
bacardisteve

Dont forget the trigger. At 1k yards a gritty heavy trigger pull can really mess you up. I would look into some good match ammo that your gun likes before you take the class. Your going to want consistent sub moa groups with ammo of choice before stretching things out. If eyesight is not what it use to be i would strongly recommend the best glass you can afford probably something in the 6-24x range.
Old December 12, 2018, 08:15 PM   #6
Longshot4

Your bullet weight is 150 or 175 for the course. I will assume the cartridge is a 308Win. or 300Mag. The 6.5mm or 6.0 I understand are better suited for that range and much lighter kicking . Why are you beating your self up? The rifle you have might pay for A Savage bolt 10T. I just payed $635 out the door at Cabela's. Although I don't have the scope... yet I can understand the crave to try the 1000 yards.
Old December 12, 2018, 08:27 PM   #7
LineStretcher

Your current Hogue stock is a chassis that's over molded. Keep it, it's perfect for what you're trying to do. You could maybe do a little better with a KRG chassis but at this point it would just be a refinement. I would save the money and put it into the glass. Since you have a budget you need to stay in, you might take a look at the Vortex PST Gen 2 5-25 with ballistic turrets.

I have a Scmidt & Bender PM II 5-25 on my 6.5 Creedmore and a Vortex PST Gen 2 5-25 on my .308 and although the color is not as good on the Vortex it is comparable as far as me getting the bullet on target at long distances.
Old December 13, 2018, 06:24 AM   #8
Bfglowkey

Buy a box of various match ammo: FGMM 168 and 175, Hornady match bthp in same range...these are proven factory rounds that can get you where you want to go. They will bite a bit more then the 150s but that's the payoff. They make shoulder pads you can wear to ease felt recoil( had one for a spell after surgery) but you will need to practice and relearn how the rifle sits when you shoot it.
Old December 13, 2018, 06:43 AM   #9
USAF Ret

I have a Savage 6.5 Creedmoor. It is a hunting rifle. Yes, this is a .308. With the muzzle brake it is not bad.
Old December 13, 2018, 06:45 AM   #10
USAF Ret

Thanks for the info on cartridges and optics.
Old December 13, 2018, 06:53 AM   #11
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfglowkey View Post
Buy a box of various match ammo: FGMM 168 and 175, Hornady match bthp in same range...these are proven factory rounds that can get you where you want to go. They will bite a bit more then the 150s but that's the payoff. They make shoulder pads you can wear to ease felt recoil( had one for a spell after surgery) but you will need to practice and relearn how the rifle sits when you shoot it.
Thanks for the input.
Old December 13, 2018, 04:36 PM   #12
LAH

I have a Hogue over molded with pillars. In the world of precision it would be considered cheap but it's good for what it is & soaks up the punch of my `06. If you're using the same stock I would keep it for the learning process & purchase some good glass.
Old December 13, 2018, 08:49 PM   #13
jmr40

You'll not get a 150 gr bullet to remain stable at long range. For off the shelf ammo Hornady 178 gr Match ammo is hard to beat.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/r...-bthp-match#!/

Even then 1000 is pushing it with a 308. With hot handloads and longer than normal barrels 1000 yards is about the limit and 800 ish is more realistic, especially with factory loads.

If you have a Savage in 6.5 CM I'd seriously consider taking it instead even if it is set up as a hunting rifle. With the better loads it is still in the game out to almost 2000 yards where the 308 starts running out of gas at about 800-1000.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/r...r-eld-match#!/

Winston Churchill
Old December 14, 2018, 10:56 AM   #14
SCgman

Is this a 20" Howa heavy barrel or longer? I have a 20" in .308. Do you have the 2 stage trigger? I do and mine breaks at 2.5#.

The only reason I comment is you said you were recoil sensitive. My rifle is pretty darn heavy with the Hogue stock, which has a cushy recoil pad, and there's little recoil perceived at the bench. I've been thinking about swapping out the stock to a SA B&C fully alum plate bedded stock as it is much stiffer in the fore-end. The B&C is heavier as well, which will further reduce recoil.
Old December 14, 2018, 12:04 PM   #15
USAF Ret

Well, the 6.5 I have is a standard barrel. You have to have a heavy barrel for the class. But, beyond the class, I am thinking that I might be trading to get another 6.5. My Savage 11 is a tack driver.
Old December 14, 2018, 12:05 PM   #16
USAF Ret

It is the 20" barrel and 2 stage trigger. Yeah, recoil is not bad, but from comments it sounds like I may just look for a 6.5 package and trade or just give the .308 to my son for his collection.
Old December 14, 2018, 12:33 PM   #17
Dufus

USAF Ret: despite all the naysayers, the 308 Win has more than proven itself over the years. It held records at almost all ranges for many years. It is very easy to load for and get astounding accuracy.

Just for your info, I bought the Howa barrelled action from Brownells with the 24" heavy barrel. It was for my grandson to put together a rifle capable of shooting competition as a beginner. It is very accurate wven with cheap FMJ ammo.

I recorded his first shot, and he barely moves. He is 16 and at 6ft tall weighs maybe 180 lbs. Recoil is right at comfortable with no brake, so your rifle must be a dream recoil wise.

The only thing I can add is that you should have purchased the 24" barrel versus the 20", but no worries because your's will still shoot gnat's asses at 100 and beyond.

For grins, someone said that a 150 will not stabilize at long range.

Do some study on Palma Match and see what they shoot.
Old December 14, 2018, 12:53 PM   #18
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dufus View Post
USAF Ret: despite all the naysayers, the 308 Win has more than proven itself over the years. It held records at almost all ranges for many years. It is very easy to load for and get astounding accuracy.

Just for your info, I bought the Howa barrelled action from Brownells with the 24" heavy barrel. It was for my grandson to put together a rifle capable of shooting competition as a beginner. It is very accurate wven with cheap FMJ ammo.

I recorded his first shot, and he barely moves. He is 16 and at 6ft tall weighs maybe 180 lbs. Recoil is right at comfortable with no brake, so your rifle must be a dream recoil wise.

The only thing I can add is that you should have purchased the 24" barrel versus the 20", but no worries because your's will still shoot gnat's asses at 100 and beyond.

This is the one I have...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...s_id/411557865
Old December 14, 2018, 02:36 PM   #19
SCgman

I use to visit the Sniper Hide Forum years ago and they offered a start up long distance rifle build based on the Howa or Remington action with a choice of short action calibers, barrel length, stocks, scopes, bipod, scope rail, etc. Always thought those were neat.
Old December 14, 2018, 07:47 PM   #20
LAH

Quote:

+1, but they shoot a 155. HEE HEE. The match rules require nothing heavier & them boys do fine.
Old December 14, 2018, 08:41 PM   #21
Dufus

That is a nice lookin' shootin' iron.

The SIL had a bipod and put it on the grandsons rifle during assembly.

I purchased a Hogue full bed block stock for his to use on his.

They are nice firearms.
Old December 14, 2018, 08:46 PM   #22
Dufus

SCgman: the Hogue pilar bed stock is flimsy in the fore end.

The Hogue full bed block is very rigid and has aluminum embedded in the molded stock and is virtually immovable at the fore end.
Old December 15, 2018, 09:55 AM   #23
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCgman View Post
I use to visit the Sniper Hide Forum years ago and they offered a start up long distance rifle build based on the Howa or Remington action with a choice of short action calibers, barrel length, stocks, scopes, bipod, scope rail, etc. Always thought those were neat.
They do have some nice rifles, but with the offerings today, you can build something for a little less money.
Old December 15, 2018, 09:57 AM   #24
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dufus View Post

I actually read an article on another forum about SWAT cutting barrels down on a .308 an inch at a time and checked for a loss in velocity. It was not noticed until they got down to 18" and then it was only 33 fps. So, keeping the rifle. Gifting it to my son and I will be getting another in 6.5. Our future plan, when things change, is to take a beginners long range shooting class in Montana.
Old December 18, 2018, 12:23 PM   #25
ndking1126

Quote:
I have a Savage 6.5 Creedmoor. It is a hunting rifle. Yes, this is a .308. With the muzzle brake it is not bad.
Unfortunately you have the roles reversed. 6.5C will run circles around a 308 (all else being equal) at long range. 308 would make a better hunting rifle due to more energy at typical hunting ranges. I noticed you are considering getting a 6.5C and that is my recommendation. Also you could start over with a longer barrel for more velocity.

Certainly nothing wrong with the 308, it's just not the best tool for the job anymore.