The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 22, 2016, 09:56 AM   #1
Willie Lowman

suppressor mount release agent

I have a AAC 51t Brakeout on my SCAR. On more than one occasion I have shot 100+ rounds then set the rifle aside to cool off. By the time it is cool the suppressor is welded to the mount with crud.

Has anyone experimented with any high temp lubricants to prevent this kind of thing? I have half a can of nuclear plant grade never-seize in my tool room.

Good idea? Bad idea?
Old November 22, 2016, 10:32 AM   #2
Old Bill Dibble

No but I am curious. I don't have this problem with the smaller .22lr suppressors. The big ones are another story.
"Tragedy has been and will always be with us. Somewhere right now, evil people are planning evil things. All of us will do everything meaningful, everything we can do to prevent it, but each horrible act can’t become an axe for opportunists to cleave the very Bill of Rights that binds us."
Old November 22, 2016, 11:30 AM   #3
Machineguntony

The way I get them off is to use a strap wrench.

I've tried various oils and lubes to prevent the problem you described. It didn't help me. What's this nuclear plant grade lube that you speak of?
Old November 22, 2016, 01:55 PM   #4
bedlamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machineguntony
What's this nuclear plant grade lube that you speak of?
It's nickel based Anti-Seize that has other metallic compounds removed. Should work fine.

http://www.neverseezproducts.com/antiseize.htm
Old November 22, 2016, 04:50 PM   #5
Bartholomew Roberts

I've got a 51T Blackout on a .300 and have never run across that problem myself; but if you have carbon seizing stuff up, then Carbon Cutter will solve that pretty quick.
Old November 22, 2016, 06:31 PM   #6
Theohazard

Interesting. I just put a thin coat of lube on the mount and that works if I'm just putting a few rounds down range. If one of my rifle cans gets carbon-locked to the mount, usually a few whacks with a rubber mallet loosens it up. If I don't have a rubber mallet, a surface like a wood floor or a tree usually works.
Old November 23, 2016, 05:54 PM   #7
AK103K

I had the issue once, with about 100 rounds through the gun at the time. I rapped on the can with a plastic screwdriver handle and it eventually came loose.

What Ive been doing since, is make sure the mount and threads on the suppressor are cleaned well during normal cleaning, and then I oil the threads on both the mount and the suppressor. Havent had the issue since.
Old November 23, 2016, 10:25 PM   #8
Snyper

I'd use this:

https://www.permatex.com/products/lu...ize-lubricant/

Quote:
Permatex® Copper Anti-Seize Lubricant
A premium quality copper anti-seize and thread lubricant that may be used to prevent seizing, corrosion and galling where high temperature conditions exist.

Contains a high percentage of micro-fine copper flakes in a semi-synthetic grease carrier and is fortified with high quality rust and corrosion inhibitors. Temperature range: -30°F to 1800°F (-34°C to 982°C). Provides good electrical conductivity.
Meets Mil Spec #907E.
http://everyspec.com/MIL-SPECS/MIL-S...-A-907E_30775/

Quote:
MIL-A-907E (aka MIL-PRF-907E), MILITARY SPECIFICATION: ANTISEIZE THREAD COMPOUND, HIGH TEMPERATURE (18 JUN 1985) [S/S BY MIL-PRF-907F]., This specification covers antiseize compound for use on threads of steel nuts, studs, bolts and other mating surfaces, including those of superheated steam installations, at temperatures up to 1050 degrees Fahrenheit (degrees F) (566 degrees Celsius (degrees C)).

I'd also experiment with a combination of the anti-seize and some heavy duty Teflon tape