The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 23, 2019, 11:41 AM   #26
J.G. Terry

That's no bad suggestion on trying factory ammo for a base line. I'd do this before doing any modification to the rifle. My experience with a Remington 700 Mountain rifle was that it shot very well with factory ammo. It was not possible to duplicate Remington factory ammo. Stop trying finally.
Old February 23, 2019, 03:39 PM   #27
RC20

While that may be true, usually you can get better results from hand loads.

Our family 270 would shoot 2.5 inches at best with factory. It was note4d for far better than that back in the day (factory or not)

Between hand loads and cleaning (hand loads did the most) its now a bit under 1 MOA.

I had a 7mm rem mag (ruger) that did not care. But the hand loads were equal to factory not worse.
Old February 23, 2019, 08:32 PM   #28
ReloadKy

Well I gave her a good cleaning and used some copper remover as well. I removed the barrel from the stock and sanded a bit on the side that was rubbing the barrel. After the sanding I reset the barrel into the stock and tightened the screws alternating screws between turns. I also made sure the recoil lug was set all the way to the rear of the slot it belongs in. There is no more contact between the barrel and the stock. As soon as I get some weather worth shooting in i am going to go check and see if I have remedied my problem. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I will update after I shoot.
Old February 25, 2019, 12:53 PM   #29
RC20

Yep, let us know. Annoying when people post and then don't check back in as to how it went.
Old February 26, 2019, 12:28 AM   #30
Sure Shot Mc Gee

140s may be a Achilles Heel for that rifle.
Have you ever shot 130 gr?
I shoot a high velocity hand-load. It's a Max listing for the 270 130 gr.
the rifle will print a 100 yard group that resembles a over lapping 3 leaf clover on top of a dime size bullseye.
That ADL you have is capable of the same.
A simple suggestion to better you're rifles accuracy. >Stop shooting boat tails and start shooting flat base bullets.
Do not hesitate to step up your charges to very near or MAX velocity for the 130 gr. >Your rifle can handle such pressures.<
140 gr? >"I ever had to need to shoot one."
Old February 26, 2019, 08:04 AM   #31
ReloadKy

Yesterday I was able to go out and shoot the ol 270. I just took my hand loads as I had three rounds already loaded up. (I just couldn't make myself buy a box of factory ammo when I have so many reloading components for the 270). I had taken scope off so after getting on paper at 100 I quit moving the scope and started to shoot groups. I shot 130 gr Nosler Ballistic tips, 140 gr Hornady SST and 145 gr Hornady ELDX. I shot these groups in the order listed. The Nosler gave me a 4 shot group of 0.806, the 140 gr SST gave me 1.5 inch and the ELDX gave me a 4 shot group of 0.906. I obviously want better out of all three bullets but this gives me the information that the rifle will still shoot good groups and that I have taken care of my problem. I am going to reload some of the same rounds and try to duplicate results and see what happens.
Old February 26, 2019, 11:43 AM   #32
tango1niner

Is you brass mixed or all the same manufacturer? Is your brass sized and trimmed correctly? Are you weighing every powder charge? Full length or neck sizing? Is the bullet seated to a book OAL or is it seated to just off the lands of your chamber? ( Your magazine may limit how far you can hang the bullet out.) These points will make your ammunition more accurate.

If the recoil lug is not glass bedded you may find your action shifting in the stock. After firing a couple rounds check to see if there is still clearance in the barrel channel. Don't be surprised to find it shifted to one side again... Over tightening the screws will do no good. If it can shift it will. At the minimum, bed the lug.

Not knowing what powder you use I'll say I like IMR powders and have good luck with old standbys like IMR 4064, IMR 4895, IMR 4350, IMR 3031...

Make sure your ammo is good and that the action is not shifting around in the stock.

Ain't this fun...
Old February 27, 2019, 12:49 AM   #33
bamaranger

fixed

Glad you sorted out the problem.

I'd hazard a guess that the rifle was copper fouled. More than one "shot out" rifle has been brought back to life with a deep clean.

Good for you.