The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 16, 2009, 10:33 PM   #1
MUZZLESMOKE

Hello to the boys from THR

Hi gang, Fingers, mykeal, madcratebuilder, smokingun, articap and all the rest.
I learned a lot on the forum,,,,,you might know me as campbell49t.

SHOOT STRAIT
MUZZLESMOKE

"IF YOU SHOOT BP MAKE IT A PEDERSOLI Pennsylvania LONG RIFLE"
Old December 16, 2009, 10:37 PM   #2
mykeal

Welcome to the new place. It's good to see you.
Old December 16, 2009, 11:23 PM   #3
poetgrey

Location: Born in Sandiego, rasised in Sacramento but spent most of my life in the Southwest, Arizona, New Mexico
Yeah, me too.

Do we like it here better? I do but it's all good as my wife would say. I recognize names too. I have learned and gained experience from many of you. Why do we enjoy the oldies? I love my center fire "modern" weapons and would never part with any of them but I really enjoy my BP arms. It's cheaper to shoot them and somehow more gratifying when once settled on the perfect combination between powder, patch, and ball....but you know these things already.
Old December 17, 2009, 12:17 AM   #4
MUZZLESMOKE

BP or center fire

Poet, I like my center fires, My AR is on the top of the list. But 223s have gone up so much. I guy can't afford to shoot it. I got 11 new 30rd mags 8 used ones and one 10 rd. I got a good deal on the new ones........free.
820rds on stripper clips. and 1700rd boxed. So I'm set when things go bad.
But, my BP I love the best. Like you said cheap to shoot. I belong to a club my wife, too. We have two shoots a month. And shotgun every Thru. We do Rondys, dress 1800s Mountian Man style. We went to three Rondys this summer. Had a good time...I make my own balls. Thinking about doing a pistol kit. Do some leather work and made a couple knives. I'm retired so I have a lot of time. And BP and all the things that go with it. Keeps me on the go. We are planning on going to Friendship next year.

Old December 17, 2009, 02:13 AM   #5
poetgrey

Location: Born in Sandiego, rasised in Sacramento but spent most of my life in the Southwest, Arizona, New Mexico
Right behind you

I hope you get to do all those things, building guns is a heart warmer. You'll feel as though it stays with you all the way to the pine box or to a special kin when you're finished with it.
I too love my AR, built just after the election last year. It is a CMMG lower with a Smith&Wesson M&P 16in upper, carbine handguard. I put the A3 stock on it like I had in 73 in Fort Ord, CA., complete with the trap door and cleaning kit. I've got crap hanging all over it and change things up all the time. It is my first black rifle and only the second time I've shot the 5.56mm cartridge, the first when in the Military. I've only got 300 saved rounds that used to be a 1000 but I keep dippin into it! I've also got a 1911A1 that gets squeezed a lot.
Still, I shoot my BP weapons most of the time. I don't have a rifle yet so never got involved past pistol in CAS but now one is in the works: A Kentucky Long Rifle, flintlock, also my fisrt as the rest are all percussion.
I'm also kind of a holster nut and go through a lot of trouble to acquire or make at least two choices for each weapon and for the favorites all three, shoulder, hip, and thigh.
By the way...Here in Ca there is a 10 round max on "assault" rifle mags plus a magazine lock because my rifle has several "evil" features. Even if I had enough ammo they would get me trying to reload.
I'm not retired yet Muzzle but I may not be far behind. An old Colt revolver or even some other, what a thing to behold! The engraving, the stories....a damn nice way to spend time with these things I think is good...

Last edited by poetgrey; December 17, 2009 at 02:22 AM. Reason: ommited title sentence
Old December 17, 2009, 06:50 AM   #6
shortwave

Welcome MUZZLESMOKE and poetgrey.

Always great to get fresh brains to pick.

I`ve worn out a few of the members you`ve listed and many more.
Old December 17, 2009, 09:57 AM   #7
TomADC

I visit both forums lots of help on both.
Old December 17, 2009, 11:15 AM   #8
madcratebuilder

It seems to me that the black powder guys tend to frequent several different forums. Most have the same user names and are familiar. Voy, THR, TFL, and a few others are on my daily list. Another thing about the black powder crowd is that they tent to be more polite. Sure, there are tiffs back and forth, but you really don't see the name calling that I see and some other boards. Many of use have been shooting black on and off for many years and know beyond a doubt that our way is the best way
Old December 18, 2009, 12:33 AM   #9
MUZZLESMOKE

Poet, My ar I have had for awhile. I to shot my first ar in the Marines. We trained with M14. When I went Veit Nam is when I first got a hold of one them ar. And I shot more rounds then I can count. Only jamed up once....there happend to be one lying close too me. If you know what I mean. I grabbed it and continued what I doing. Also carried an Ak 47, my whole squad did. Now there was a battle weapon. Whished I had a 1911.
Straying of the BP here. Sorry about that....yes I think after the New Year I will build me a pistol.