The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 14, 2018, 09:18 AM   #1
WolfTraps

Cast Bullets Indoor Ban Inland Empire, Cal

Bummed out!
I've been casting Pistol/Rifle/Muzzle.. for some 40 years with my local pistol indoor range saying "cast bullets" not allowed?
Yet, I'm wondering..what about 22LR?
What are the answer's?
Old February 14, 2018, 09:44 AM   #2
F. Guffey

I went to the range, they asked to see my ammo; that is when I was informed I could not shoot full metal jacketed bullets. There was no need to argue even thought there was a tiny hole in the in the nose of the bullets.

I have a cousin that does not own a firearm, I can not remember when he did not live in California, he now lives a few miles north of me and is saying he got to Texas as soon as he could. I have been to California, I survived two riots, two earth quakes and the emptying of a sports bar; they were hollering, "There he is, lets get-em!". Long story.

F. Guffey
Old February 14, 2018, 10:19 AM   #3
reddog81

You'd have to ask them. Different ranges have different rules.
Old February 14, 2018, 10:21 AM   #4
FITASC

Indoor lead ban - maybe their air handling system isn't up to snuff?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 14, 2018, 10:36 AM   #5
USSR

Quote:
Indoor lead ban - maybe their air handling system isn't up to snuff?
The lead to worry about indoors comes from the primer, not the bullet.

Don
Old February 14, 2018, 11:08 AM   #6
locknloader

Just keep shooting them, if someone gives you crap tell them they are swaged and not cast

Nothing makes me more angry then the self-designated "range police" who try to give people a hard time about silly rules like this.
Old February 14, 2018, 11:35 AM   #7
mikld

It's in California! Weird "laws" are enacted in CA all the time. When lead wheel weights were banned in CA, a politician stated; "Lead wheel weights fly of cars and trucks and get run over by passing vehicles and ground up. Then the rain comes and washes this pulverized lead off the road, into the dirt where it seeps down int the water table and contaminates the drinking water". Evil little buggers, ain't they...

Perhaps the county health dept is trying to put pressure on shooting sports?
Old February 14, 2018, 12:19 PM   #8
F. Guffey

Quote:
Nothing makes me more angry then the self-designated "range police" who try to give people a hard time about silly rules like this.
Do not allow them to provoke you, I have started getting e-mail from a large group that was complaining years ago. I got involved, when it was all over I was the only one left. I asked them if they wanted me to feel sorry for them.

One of them said he felt sorry for me, I ask why? I upset everyone you did nothing.

F. Guffey
Old February 14, 2018, 12:39 PM   #9
locknloader

I put my foot down the first time I had an encounter and now i am left alone. Bully's only feel good when their prey backs down, if you confront them, they suddenly don't know what to do because they know they are being jerks.

You have to with those type of people of they will annoy you every chance they get to inflate their ego. Funny thing is, its usually the people who hang out like its a social club and not a gun range. They are always around, but you never see them shooting guns, just shooting their mouth off.
Old February 14, 2018, 05:23 PM   #10
Northof50

I'm a bit confused by some of the replies. As I see it, you belong to a private range which enacted a rule. Basically, the suggestions have been to "ignore the rule" "side-step the rule" and those who enacted the rule are "bullies." ????

You have 3 choices:
1- find another range
2- ask why the rule - find evidence to contradict their reason [if there is any] - get other members who shoot cast bullets to sign a petition and present the organization with the petition and reasoning
3- stay there and don't shoot cast bullets
Old February 14, 2018, 05:54 PM   #11
Gemmer

I’m confused also. Agree with WolfTraps.
Old February 14, 2018, 07:21 PM   #12
m&p45acp10+1

The local indoor range I go to if it is cold and raining will not allow me to shoot my home cast reloads. It is not due to lead, or a ban on reloads. The truth is the lube makes them extra smokey, and the other people shooting were complaining about it. So when I go to shoot there I take the steel case stuff, and do not have to worry about lost brass either.
Old February 15, 2018, 12:43 PM   #13
mikld

I used to frequent an old range in the LA area, that had "old" ventilation. Even with the older ventilation equipment smoke was not a problem (but black powder ammo was banned). I've fired over lubed alox coated bullets and the smoke just went in front of me and up to the ceiling. I too would politely "challenge" the ruling asking why, as an owner can arbitrarily make a decision, and I agree with Northof50. But it's not my range and I'm just one customer, and if I don't like something about the facilities I'm free to go elsewhere...
Old February 15, 2018, 02:04 PM   #14
Gary Wells

Maybe the ranges in question not allowing cast lead are not selling enough jacketed ammo. Bet their jacketed ammo is pretty pricey, too.Take one box of jacketed & one box of cast lead. Show them the jacketed, shoot the lead.
Old February 15, 2018, 02:42 PM   #15
hdwhit

Quote:
Wolftraps wrote:
Cast Bullets Indoor Ban Inland Empire, Cal
Well, is the "ban" a policy of the range or the result of a local/state ordinance?

And if it is a policy of the range, you might want to also ask whether it has to do with liability concerns, insurance concerns or environmental concerns. It could well be that it is a policy change triggered by the range's insurance provider's concerns over environmental lead and the range doesn't want to make the investment in the added equipment necessary to mollify them.
Old February 15, 2018, 02:46 PM   #16
hdwhit

Quote:
Gary Wells wrote:
Take one box of jacketed & one box of cast lead. Show them the jacketed, shoot the lead.
So, in other words you're telling WolfTraps to lie.

Why let a little thing like integrity get in the way of doing what I want no matter what anyone else says?
Old February 15, 2018, 03:00 PM   #17
hdwhit

Quote:
locknloader wrote:
Just keep shooting them, if someone gives you crap tell them they are swaged and not cast
So, whether its law or simply range policy, just violate it?

Quote:
Nothing makes me more angry
Well, nothing makes me angrier than someone who is going to come onto private property and start telling the owner or his agent how they are going to behave. That's the kind of lack of respect for both law and private property rights that is contributing to the decline of the country.
Old February 15, 2018, 04:06 PM   #18
FITASC

Quote:
Well, nothing makes me angrier than someone who is going to come onto private property and start telling the owner or his agent how they are going to behave. That's the kind of lack of respect for both law and private property rights that is contributing to the decline of the country.
+1

Too many "I WANNA DO IT MY WAY ANYWAY" types.
Quote:
You have 3 choices:
1- find another range
2- ask why the rule - find evidence to contradict their reason [if there is any] - get other members who shoot cast bullets to sign a petition and present the organization with the petition and reasoning
3- stay there and don't shoot cast bullets
Yep Agree 100%.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 15, 2018, 06:51 PM   #19
Gary Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwhit View Post
So, in other words you're telling WolfTraps to lie.

Why let a little thing like integrity get in the way of doing what I want no matter what anyone else says?
Yep, I'm telling whoever to do whatever works best for him.
I shoot at a great range in SoCal that does not enact any stupid policies.
They do enforce all necessary city, county, State, & federal laws. Not all people have opportunity to belong to such a great range. And I do sympathize with the people that have no other place to shoot other than some money hungry range that creates policies simply for the buck.
Old February 15, 2018, 08:39 PM   #20
Marco Califo

It is very standard operating procedure to not allow exposed lead at indoor ranges in California. But at outdoor ranges that does not apply.
These ranges: Los Angeles Gun Club and the Firingline chain of ranges (no relation to this forum) have had these rules for years. Use plated, and everything is fine. The Firingline ranges host Security classes and Qualifications. If you want your permit, you follow directions and use their ammo, which looks plated.
You DO NOT debate or discuss it with the range. If you try to, they will tell you to leave.
There ARE outdoor ranges for those who must shoot cast, sawaged, or exposed lead.
Old February 15, 2018, 09:36 PM   #21
Chainsaw.

To the O.P.
What about powdercoated bullets? Its easy to do, cost very little and acts like a jacket to keep the lead in. Plus, you get to keep casting!
Old February 15, 2018, 09:49 PM   #22
Gary Wells

I'm a member of and shoot at The Firing Line indoor range in HB, CA. I love it. Great Range Masters, low membership rates, great instructors, very fair rules enforced fairly across the board, not so great lighting though.
Old February 15, 2018, 11:19 PM   #23
JT-AR-MG42

Funny stuff being said here.

If all of you who think the rules are for others would get together and open your own indoor range,
you can bet I'll be willing to make a trip.

I've never been to an indoor center fire range anyway (nearest is about 250 miles) and have a bunch of steel core to burn up.
My outdoor ranges banned the stuff years ago.

JT
Old February 16, 2018, 07:47 AM   #24
locknloader

We're talking about shooting lead at an indoor pistol range, not knowingly causing damage to a backstop/bullet trap with steel penetrator rounds.

If the rule is specifically against "cast" bullets then whoever made that rule is pretty stupid, because a cast and a swaged pure lead bullet are essentially the same end product, its the manufacturing process they are making the rule against.

If the OP wants to break the rule it's up to him, he just needs to decide if the penalty for doing so is worth it. Get banned from the range, maybe not a great idea... Get a stern talking to and nothing ultimately done, might work for him....

As others have suggested, who's to say this isin't just a rule on the books to make insurance or some other entity happy, but ultimately not enforced. We're all just speculating here...

Sometimes things are not always black and white.
Old February 16, 2018, 07:39 PM   #25
mikld

I'd be willing to bet their motive for banning lead bullets is an attempt to make their range lead free for health or enviromental reasons.